- Size (LWH): 4.8 inches, 2.4 inches, 0.4 inches
- Weight: 5.44 ounces
- Network Compatibility: GSM
- Minimum Rated Talk Time: 300 minutes
- Minimum Rated Standby Time: 288 hours
- Battery Type: Lithium Ion
T-Mobile myTouch by HTC, Black (T-Mobile)
- Blazing fast 3G/4G-enabled, Android 2.2-powered smartphone with 3.8-inch touchscreen and Video Chat capabilities
- Compatible with T-Mobile's growing HSPA+ 4G network--up to 3 times faster than standard 3G networks
- 5-MP camera; HD 720p video capture; Wireless-N Wi-Fi; Bluetooth stereo music; 4 GB internal memory plus microSD expansion (with 8 GB card); GPS navigation
- Up to 9 hours of talk time, up 18 days of standby time; released in November, 2010
- What's in the Box: handset, rechargeable battery, charger, 8 GB microSD memory card, USB cable, hands-free stereo headset, quick start guide
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
The Android-powered T-Mobile myTouch 4G provides a blazing fast Web browsing experience and tight integration with Google services. Enabled for T-Mobile's high-speed 3G network, the myTouch 4G is also one of the first smartphones specifically designed for T-Mobile's new HSPA+ network, which delivers downloads at 4G speeds. T-Mobile's upgraded HSPA+ network currently covers 75 major metropolitan areas across the U.S., with plans to continue rolling out this network upgrade throughout the United States in 2011 (read more about HSPA+ below).
Enjoy super-fast connectivity with
the myTouch 4G on T-Mobile's 4G
HSPA+ mobile broadband network.
Designed by HTC exclusively for T-Mobile, the new myTouch features a brilliant 3.8-inch touchscreen display with both a virtual QWERTY keyboard and Swype keyboard for easy text input. It's also equipped with a 5-megapixel camera that can capture video in HD 720p resolution, as well as the ability to stay connected to family and friends via spontaneous face-to-face conversations through Video Chat--with or without Wi-Fi (learn more below).
Built on Android 2.2 (also referred to as "Froyo"), the myTouch 4G offers seven customizable home screen panels, including a dedicated panel with one-click access to your favorite Google applications such as Android Market, which currently offers more than 80,000 applications.
With integrated Google technology, the myTouch 4G brings one-touch access to the popular Google mobile services millions use every day, including Google Search by voice, Google Maps with Street View, Gtalk, YouTube, Picasa, and contacts/calendar synchronization. The myTouch 4G also provides easy access to both personal and corporate e-mail, calendars, and contacts supported by Exchange Server and Gmail.
The myTouch 4G also includes three exclusive features:
- Genius Button, powered by Dragon Dictation from Nuance, which lets you call, text, e-mail or access the internet with a simple voice command
- Faves Gallery, which offers shortcuts to one's most-contacted family and friends
- myModes, which creates customized home screens for work and home.
Offering quick response and good multitasking, the myTouch 4G is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 1 GHz mobile processor so you can experience powerful entertainment and more right on your device. Other features include Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g/n), Bluetooth for hands-free devices and stereo music streaming, 4 GB internal memory, included 8 GB microSD cards (and expansion up to 32 GB via optional cards), integrated GPS with navigation capabilities, Visual Voicemail functionality, and up to 6 hours of talk time.
You can also take advantage of T-Mobile's 3G/4G network and share the myTouch 4G's mobile broadband connectivity with your laptop or tablet while on the go using either a tethered USB connection or creating a Wi-Fi Hotspot with your phone that other Wi-Fi-enabled devices can connect to.
Capture HD videos and pictures in stunning detail and video chat with faraway family and friends (white version shown).
Built with families in mind, the T-Mobile myTouch 4G helps solve the challenges of staying physically and emotionally connected by sharing photos and video with the HD Camcorder and spontaneous face-to-face conversations through Video Chat.
Unlike other video-calling solutions on the market that only work through Wi-Fi, Video Chat on the new myTouch 4G enables you to connect with loved ones spontaneously from practically anywhere through T-Mobile's network or Wi-Fi. With the myTouch's front-facing camera paired with Video Chat through Yahoo! Messenger or QIK, you can hold video conversations with friends and family who have a new T-Mobile myTouch, other compatible mobile device, or PC. You can even see who is available to chat through presence information integrated into the myTouch 4G's address book, and have the option to leave Video Mail using Qik when someone is unavailable.
You can also share moments with loved ones in high-definition (HD) using the myTouch 4G's HD 720p camcorder with Screen Share by Twonky, which allows you to share or broadcast HD video and pictures you've captured. With a few touches of the screen, you can share your photo albums, videos and movies wirelessly with a compatible HDTV or other DLNA device.
- Blazing fast 4G speeds on T-Mobile's HSPA+ network for up to 3 times faster than standard 3G networks, while allowing simultaneous voice and data capabilities for the ultimate wireless voice and data experience (1700/2100 MHz bands; see more about T-Mobile's 3G service below).
- Fast 3G connectivity accelerated data speeds and simultaneous voice and data capabilities in areas not yet served by T-Mobile's HSPA+ network.
- Quad-band GSM connectivity for good global voice roaming.
- Powered by the Android 2.2 operating system with deep integration of Google services and access to thousands of apps to customize your phone via the Android Market.
- Visual Voicemail allows you to listen to your voice-mail messages in any order, respond in one click and easily manage your inbox without ever dialing in to the network.
- Built-in GPS for real-time location on maps, driving directions, and more (additional charges may apply)
- Google Maps Navigation (Beta) provides free, pre-loaded turn-by-turn voice guidance. Powered by Google and requiring an Internet connection, it enables you to simply say "Navigate to [your destination]" to get on your way. See live traffic, use Street View or satellite imagery to view your route, and get access to the most recent maps and business information from Google Maps without ever needing to update your device. And with Places, you can easily find nearby points of interest, from gas stations to coffee shops and more.
- 3.8-inch touchscreen display (800 x 480 pixels)
- Onscreen keyboard
- Swype input system allows you to input text faster and easier by gliding your finger around the keyboard, moving from letter to letter in one continuous motion. The Swype technology then calculates what word you're intending to type (learn more below).
- 5-megapixel auto-focus camera with LED flash, face finder, and digital zoom.
- HD 720p video capture at 30 fps (frames per second).
- Easy upload to social networks such as Facebook and Flickr, as well as T-Mobile Photobackup.
- Digital media player compatible with MP3, WMA, and AAC music plus MPEG4 video formats.
- Access to online music services including Amazon MP3 for music purchases and Slacker Radio for personalized streaming music.
- FM radio
- Bluetooth connectivity (version 2.1) includes profiles for communication headset, hands-free car kits, and the A2DP Bluetooth profile--enabling you to wirelessly stream your music to a pair of compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones or speaker dock.
- Ultra-fast Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g/n) for accessing home and corporate networks as well as hotspots while on the go.
- Wi-Fi and mobile calling enables you to send and receive calls and messages over any Wi-Fi network, whether at home or on the road with Wi-Fi and Mobile Calling--even in areas that have little or no network coverage. (Learn more)
- Tethering and mobile Wi-Fi Hotspot capabilities enable you to share your phone's connection to the T-Mobile 3G network with other devices, such as a laptop or tablet (additional charges applicable).
- 4 GB internal memory
- Included 8 GB microSD card with support for optional cards up to 32 GB.
- Pre-loaded games including Rockband, Asphalt 5, Monopoly
- Text (SMS) and picture/video (MMS) messaging
- Access to popular instant messaging services
- Access to personal and work e-mail (supports Microsoft Exchange corporate e-mail)
- Document viewer (QuickOffice, PDF)
- HTML Web browser
- Organizer tools including calendar, voice memo, calculator, and alarm
- Airplane mode allows you to listen to music while the cellular connectivity is turned off
- USB connectivity with mass storage and charging capabilities
- 3.5mm headset/headphone jack
The myTouch 4G weighs 5.4 ounces and measures 2.4 x 4.8 x 0.4 inches. Its 1400 mAh lithium-ion battery is rated at up to 6 hours of talk time, and up to 288 hours (12 days) of standby time. It runs on the 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE frequencies, as well as T-Mobile's 3G/4G network (1700/2100 MHz; UMTS/HSDPA/HSPA+).
What's in the Box
myTouch 4G handset, rechargeable battery, charger, 8 GB microSD memory card, USB cable, hands-free stereo headset, quick start guide, user manual
T-Mobile's Expanding, Super-Fast 4G Mobile Broadband Network
As of November, 2010, T-Mobile has upgraded its traditional 3G network to HSPA+ in 75 major metropolitan areas across the U.S., with plans to continue rolling out this network upgrade throughout 2011. With typical download speeds that are on par with or faster than competing 4G technologies, T-Mobile's HSPA+ network provides fast data speeds--up to 3 times faster than AT&T and Verizon's standard 3G networks--while allowing simultaneous voice and data capabilities for the ultimate wireless voice and data experience. You'll enjoy faster Web browsing, uninterrupted video streaming, and quicker app downloads.
T-Mobile's 4G mobile broadband network (powered by HSPA+) provides a theoretical capability of up to 21 Mbps peak download speeds, with average download speeds typically in the 5 to 8 Mbps range.
While this 3G-enabled mobile device doesn't offer HSPA+ compatibility, it can benefit from enhanced speeds when connecting to the HSPA+ network today.
In addition to its quad-band GSM connectivity, this phone is also compatible with T-Mobile's UMTS/HSDPA/HSPA+ 3G/4G network, which operates on the 1700/2100 MHz AWS spectrum. This phone is designed to automatically connect to the best available network (4G, 3G, or GSM/GPRS/EDGE) to provide faster data speeds when accessing the Web.
In areas where the 3G/4G network is not available, you'll continue to receive service on the via T-Mobile's EDGE network (which stands for "Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution"). This high-speed, mobile data and Internet access technology is fast enough to support a wide range of advanced data services (with average data speeds between 75-135Kbps), including full picture and video messaging, high-speed color Internet access, and e-mail on the go.
Effortlessly transition between Wi-Fi calling and T-Mobile's wireless network while you talk with T-Mobile's innovative Wi-Fi Calling technology. Wi-Fi Calling is a free feature for this phone, and minutes used while connected to the Wi-Fi network count against available rate plan minutes.
Powered by Kineto's Smart Wi-Fi Application, T-Mobile's Wi-Fi Calling for Android smartphones is ready to use out-of-the-box, providing the ability to make voice calls and send SMS from accessible Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n) access points across the globe in addition to the connectivity available through T-Mobile's mobile network. The application also includes a tutorial for first-time users.
An alternative to the Android virtual keyboard, the Swype virtual keyboard (seen at the right) allows you to input text by swiping the finger with one continuous finger or stylus motion across the screen keyboard. Based on testing, speed and accuracy are equal to or better than the traditional keyboard-tapping method. You can activate the Swype keyboard by pressing and holding in a text field, wait for popup to appear, click Input Method, and then select Swype.
In the image shown here, the word "quick" was generated from tracing the path shown above in a fraction of a second, by roughly aiming to pass through the letters of the word. A key advantage to Swype is that there is no need to be very accurate, enabling very rapid text entry.
Also Available for This Android Device
Amazon Appstore for Android
Top Customer Reviews
My need: at least 18h of moderate (shall I say worry-free) usage between charges. I had this phone for more than a month before I figured out how to reliably not drain its battery in far less than a day:
The solution: an alternate mail subsystem.
The big killer is in android 2.2's support for exchange. Every couple of days it gets stuck in high power mode - disharging in less than half a day. Fortunately one of my students found a workaround: run a better exchange synch program. I just removed my exchange account from android synch and instead installed nitrodesk's touchdown - which costs something like $10 and has a free month trial. After this, my phone could reliably hold a charge for more than a day. I imagine that others publish similar software, but i stopped looking when touchdown worked.
The rest of this review is about tweaking:
How I get closer to 2 days on a charge:
* using 2g-3g switch applet (free from marketplace): 2g draws less power than 3g/4g, and is usually fast enough. Note this phone calles 2g "gsm" and 3g/4g "wcdma"
* using the built-in power control applet, I keep wifi and gps off most of the time.
* displaying the "circle power" applet (free from marketplace) on my home screen
Notes making touchdown comfortable (this took a week to figure out)
* In order to get the android contacts app to see my exchange contacts maintained by touchdown:
** enter contacts->settings->view
** select which data source to use (I select only Touchdown)
* Displaying email & agenda nicely:
** Touchdown has applets in various sizes for displaying email or agenda.Read more ›
I returned the G1 for the MyTouch 4G. After a few days using the on-screen touch keyboard of the 4G, I didn't even miss the slide-out. Besides, the slide-out on the G2 is quite a bit smaller than the G1's and I was not liking it so much- it felt cramped.
The 4G is amazing. It is still Android all the way, but better than the G1 or the G2. It seems to be a more advanced phone, and more intuitive. A lot of the programs and menus are a step up even from the G2. One small example is the Clock- it has a rolling clock feature and animations which are neat. I'm finding more advantages over the G2 the more I use the 4G. Navigating around is a blast. Some people say the screen is clearer or crisper on the G2- to me that seems insane- they both have great looking screens.Read more ›
The phone itself: It has a beautifully large and clear touchscreen (and appears to be scratch-resistant), a nice camera that takes big but usually blurry pictures and HD videos, it is thin and light (compared to my old smartphone) but still seems pretty tough. You can look at the advertised features, it does in fact have and do all that stuff. There are two major problems for me, and that is why I rate it 3 stars instead of 5. Battery and Buttons.
Battery: It lasts me a little over half a day. I use the phone a lot, but not a crazy amount. If you use it for any length of time doing anything, the battery is at 25%. Worse, if the phone can't get reception it seems that it burns through the battery just as quickly searching for reception as if you were running a program or talking on the phone. If you sit in a building with the phone on and no reception for four hours, the battery is pretty much dead.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I want to know how to return it its bad bad bad,please tell me how to return,asap, im mot useing it becouse its no good,Published 21 months ago by Juan Carlos
I bought this phone directly from T-Mobile in late 2011. I this phone worked great until about 3 months ago. Read morePublished on December 1, 2013 by IEvans
Over the past 2 years, two phones of this model died on me. That means I'm on my third phone of the same model. Read morePublished on November 4, 2013 by FizzyFizz
perfectttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt. for me. Read morePublished on June 9, 2013 by libertad
This smartphone is amazing for many reasons! Here a just a few:
- Genius button: voice activation for calling, sending someone a text or email, searching the web, or finding... Read more
I ordered this phone in December 2012, and received it 3 days later. That was great! Phone worked great until recently when my battery was at 30% and I was on the way to put it on... Read morePublished on January 22, 2013 by MC
I've had this phone for 2 years. It crashes about twice a week and takes a about 5 minutes to reboot.Published on May 27, 2012 by Stuart Reynolds
Ordered this for my mom in law and was furious when i opened the unprotected bag it arrived in usps This is mytouch 4g slide not mytouch4g extremely disappointed will be... Read morePublished on May 23, 2012 by DaisyDukes
I have already owned this for over 16 mo. now. I bought 2 MyTouch 4G for my 17 yr. old daughter and myself and the only big, big headache is the battery life. Read morePublished on May 9, 2012 by Diego M. Gamez