Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,088 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,324 reviews
on September 21, 2014
Okay, a few words of warning and advice to everyone who buys this kettle...
Does this kettle work well? Yes.
Are there some things you need to know about how it operates before you buy it? Yes.
I realize that its possible for everyone to have completely different experiences using the kettle they receive, so I will let you all know what I found out using mine, and also address two of the issues others have complained about.

I have been using it every day for the last two weeks, pretty much all day long.

Issue number one: "it leaks."
Answer: kind of, not really. It doesn't actually *leak* through the unit so much as it boils out and makes a mess if unattended. I found that even putting in the minimum amount of water on the half-way setting, if not pulled right as it starts boiling and poured, will bubble out of the spout and pool around the unit. However, because it does boil water pretty fast, I just stay nearby and watch it each time i heat some water and the moment I see it bubble, I pull it and pour it into my mug. If I do that, no mess to clean up. If I leave it unattended, the hand-towel I have under the base gets damp or full-out soaked if I boiled a full pot. This hasn't bothered me, because, as I said, it works so fast I don't mind keeping an eye on it for a minute or two every time I want a cup of tea. (and I drink probably 10 to 12 mugs of tea per day)

Issue number two: "there's build-up, there's stuff floating in my water, there's stuff peeling/chipping/coming off the metal plate or the lining of the pot, the coating is coming off the inside and tainting the water."
Answer: I would bet that 99% of the people complaining about this can easily fix this problem by only using distilled, purified, or filtered drinking water in their kettles. I used tap water for the first few times and saw this ugly stuff floating in my water, but I see this when I boil the same tap water on the stove in a pan. Most city tap water, and most country well water, has a lot of minerals and additives in it. When you boil this water, those impurities separate from the water. I went and bought some jugs of water from the grocery store (they aren't usually very expensive at all) and I used them in my kettle. Voila, no more floaties in the water. I used Distilled water and purified drinking water, both kept the kettle clean with repeated use and no build up. I tried a gallon of "spring water" and the buildup came back, so avoid spring water as well. Remember, this will happen in any unit you buy, no matter the manufacturer, brand, or model. It's about the water you use, not the unit itself.

Someone also complained that it is loud, but I only notice a slight noise from it, very briefly, as it nears the boiling point, and the moment you pick it up it stops. Also, I'm not sure about the temperature gauge/heat selector on the unit. I find that it heats to boiling whether all the way over to the right (where its supposed to boil), or in the middle, and it gets slightly warm on the far left side. That doesn't really matter to me, because I'm apparently not enough of a tea snob to care about the exact temperature of my water when I make tea (and I make all sorts of tea from green and white teas to black teas, they all taste good to me - as long as they aren't lukewarm).

So, it's a good unit, does what I need it to do (very well), but it does have a few quirks to work around, hence the 3 star rating. If it had less quirks in regards to the water level/boiling-water/condensation mess, I'd probably rate it higher, but its kind of a poor design flaw. If you don't mind the mess or watching your water boil (in the 2 minutes it takes), then feel free to purchase this inexpensive unit. To be honest, I'd have already returned it, but I kinda got used to using it throughout the day and I really don't mind too much anymore, now that I know my way around it.

UPDATE: 2014.10.08

I found a new trick to help reduce the moisture/"leaking" problem. Normally, after I pour a cup of hot water, when I come back and lift up the kettle there's some water underneath as if it leaked - it's actually from steam condensation or boil-over (if you used too much water) - but here's the trick:
After you pour a cup of hot water and set it back down, open the lid for a few seconds to allow some of the steam to escape - this will reduce or eliminate any excess "leakage" one may find around the base. it's been working for me pretty well.
1616 comments| 556 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2016
I always wanted an electric kettle. I was looking for something not very expensive as well as a sturdy. I looked and looked and read reviews and I am happy I purchase this one. I fell in love with the color as well as being able to change the different heating settings.
I read reviews were some people complain about the kettle leaking and leaving puddles of water, but I never had problems with this happening. I use this kettle several times a day. I first boil the water for my baby bottles and then I use it throughout the day to warm up the water for his bottles. I decided to use this instead of the bottle warmer because it is much faster. The only way that I can see this kettle leaking is by over filling it. If you over fill when the water starts to boil I can see how the water can come out. What I love about this kettle is you don't have to worry about turning it off once the water boils or reaches the tempeture it turns off by itself.
One of the things that I have noticed about the kettle is that it started peeling off on the inside. I don't if that is safe or not, but this kettle also has a filter. Another thing is that it build up white particles and once the water cools it looks like grease but I have read that this are minerals that when water is boiled these minerals come up.
I am attaching some pictures. One of the pictures is water with the minerals up in the surface. and also the filter.
Disclaimer: I bought this products with my own money. I didn't not receive this product at a discounted price or free in exchange for a review.
Update 12/01/2016
This electric kettle still going strong I still haven't had any issues with it.
I previously mentioned that is was peeling on the inside or that the minerals where coming up. I would like to mention that the kettle was not peeling and that in fact the white residue is the water's minerals and calcium. It is easy to clean. I fill my kettle with water and a little bit of white vinegar and put it to boil. After that I dump the water and wash it with warm water and soap and it looks just like new. I love this kettle!!
on December 4, 2012
This is a wonderful small kettle. It heats water up faster than I thought possible. Don't bother walking away to do anything else, as your water will be ready in a flash. I haven't timed it yet, but it is so much faster than a microwave. The three temperature settings are a useful feature. Inside is a metal bottom and the surrounding wall is plastic. I do not know if it is the safe plastic. I looked all over the packaging and inside the booklet to see if it was. There was no information regarding this. It is easy to take off of the base. I like that the electric cord can wind up inside the base, so you only use what cord you need. It shuts off automatically when the desired temperature is reached.

There is only ONE negative feature that I can think of. The level indicator is hard to see. I have to wipe the inside after using if I want to use it again immediately because the condensation makes the "hard" to see water level indicator "impossible" to see. A minor inconvenience, I think.

I would buy this again. It would make a great gift. I have used it for making tea, ramen, and oatmeal thus far. It is so handy to have!

Update: September 21, 2015
I had to stop by and let everyone know this kettle is still going strong. I love this thing! We use it daily.

Update: December 6, 2016
Yup, still love it!
33 comments| 321 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2016
I LOVE this thing. LOVE it.

I had one of those old-fashioned hot water pots that whistles when the water has boiled. Well, one day I had to go outside to talk to a neighbor, I forgot the pot, and the metal got scorched and all of the plastic parts melted.

I was going to just buy another old-school hot water pot, when someone recommended that I try an electric kettle instead. So I came to Amazon, read a bunch of reviews, and settled on this unit.

MAN, OH MAN, do I love this thing. First of all, it boils water almost instantaneously, I'm not kidding. A full pot boils in just a minute or two, but a half empty pot boils in a matter of seconds. The speed that these electric kettles boil water is just amazingly fast.

Even better, the unit shuts off once it has reached the boiling point. No more "nearly set the house on fire" incidents, like when my neighbor knocked on my door.

This thing is so fast and easy at boiling water, I'm drinking much more hot tea as a result. It's also great for things like Cup O' Noodles, as it boils water waaaay faster than my microwave.

Lastly, the pot itself is wireless (the base unit is wired). This means that it's easy to pour, or even carry into another room. The other unit I was considering on Amazon featured reviews where people complained about the power cord being so short, they'd have to unplug the pot every time they poured from it. I'm really glad I got this unit instead.
on March 16, 2015
This electric kettle it great. It has lots of nice little details. First, it looks attractive; the bright green on black really sets it apart. Second, I love that you can adjust the heat. The lowest setting stops at just above boiling. Next, once the water has heated to the desired setting, the little power button above the handle pops into the off position automatically; so if you forget you have it on...no problem! Also, I like how you can see how much water you are putting in the kettle through the clear plastic strips on the side. This is very handy because you don't need a measuring cup when filling it. I think the lid is great too. It latches really securely but it is still easy to open because it is such a large button. Finally, the base is simple to use as well. It turns 360 degrees and you can set the kettle on it correctly without even paying attention; it goes into right into place every time. Bottom line, I wouldn't change a thing about this little kettle!
on August 26, 2016
Update:
It has now been almost 4 years of daily use and the T-fal has finally started to break down. There is a slight leak in the bottom and when left with water in it for a day or two, it will leave a puddle on our counter. I am still very much a fan of this kettle for the price. You can't get something this dependable at the sub $30 price it's being offered. Just don't expect it to last 5 years with daily operation and you won't be disappointed.

My wife and I are avid tea drinkers. We probably drink about an average of 5 cups a day. We have now owned this kettle for 3 + years.

The kettle works almost as it did the day we bought it. The only slight difference is it's gotten a bit noisy. We found that if you demineralize the inside of it every once in a while it relieves it of much noise.

In my picture, there is a chip on the top of the lid. That was user error. Even with the chip the thing works great! If you were looking for a cheap but effective kettle, I would highly recommend.
on May 27, 2016
This is an awesome kettle. Heats water up in a flash. I decided on this kettle because it is not as large as the 1.5 litter and therefor takes up less counter space. I have enclosed a picture to help the reader visualize the size. I have been using this not only for my tea, but for cleaning. Prior to this I would microwave water and try not to spill it wherever I was taking it. This kettle is is perfect for carrying scalding hot water to other rooms. I cleaned my makeup brushes in under 3 minutes. Highly recommend.
on September 27, 2015
This kettle is better than I expected for this price, but you have to limit your expectations for a $18 product. The electronics are all in the base of the kettle, protecting them from your water. The upper part is almost entirely plastic. They say it is BPA-free, but if you're afraid of other chemicals in plastic (especially in contact with boiling water), then this is not the product for you.

My biggest concern is the thermostat. This kettle very conveniently shuts off when the water temperature reaches a level that you set, but the company makes no claims about what the settings on the thermostat actually mean. I see some other reviews throwing out numbers about what their low-medium-high setting mean. I'm guessing that the thermostat is cheap and inaccurate enough that there will be significant differences from product to product. I stuck my digital thermometer directly into the water in the kettle right after it shut off. The temperatures I got are 172F for the low setting, 190F for medium, and 210F for high. The recommended temperature for green tea is 160-170F, so fortunately the low setting on my kettle is good enough. I do recommend that you test yours before using it if you care about the lower settings (many people care only about boiling).

I'm giving this product 1 extra star because of the cheap $18 price.
on January 24, 2014
I bought this because I wanted a smaller kettle to heat a few cups of hot water each morning.
I love my old electric kettle but it's much bigger than we need.

This little kettle has worked well the few times I've used it do far.

But this 'little kettle' has almost as large of a foot print as my old big kettle. Check the dimensions b/f buying.
It's my fault that I didn't notice that it's not physically smaller - just that it's maximum water capacity is less.
I mention this so others will not miss this point too.

But the major dislike is the width, including the handle. It's so wide that the resulting center of gravity (and leverage of the handle) make it heavy to hold when carrying and pouring water.

My old kettle, while bigger, had the handle closer to the body - and the body curved inward as it went upward. The result was; a well placed handle that was closer to the center of gravity. It was easy to carry and pour even when full.

So this kettle is ok - I'm just pointing out my dislikes in case they're relevant to other potentional buyers.
on June 8, 2017
I replaced my plastic hot pot with this item. Here is what I do with it. When I get in the shower I set it on low. It will automatically shut off unlike the other one that I had. After I get out of the shower I turn it on to boil. With in about 90 seconds it will boil and shut off. I pour it into my tea pot. By the time I am through drying my hair my tea is perfect! It works much better because I had to turn the other one on before my shower and hope that I would finish my shower before it started to boil over. Another great point about this pot is that it comes off the base. I can fill it with water without having to pull the plug, I almost lost my Aunt's old teapot because the cord got caught in the handle when I was filling the old pot! Okay, I am not the most coordinated which is why this pot is so great for me! It is also very pretty too. Seems like a great gift idea too.