T-fal VC1338 Balanced Living Compact 2-Tier Electric Food Steamer, 4-Quart, Black
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 4-quart capacity (2 tiers of 2 quarts each)
- 2 tiers with one containing a removable plate for larger items
- Digital controls with 60-minute timer
- Compact for easy storage
- 1-year limited warranty
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
|Length: 3:34 Mins|
The trays are small, but for a compact steamer, it can hold a lot of food. I really liked how the runoff water stays separate. On my other steamer, the runoff water was supposed to stay separate, but it kept mixing with the steaming water, which made a mess, and made it hard to clean. This is very easy to clean.
And, the food it makes is delicious! I heartily recommend this steamer.
+You can see the water level from the outside
+Has 6 little egg holders on one of the trays
+Has a water runoff tray, so you can use the water for vegetable stock
+Works very well
-Very small for a steamer, but it's the perfect size for me
I'm a steamer fanatic and selected this because I wanted a backup to my daily use mechanical steamer. In fact, I've owned 9 steamers in the past. Since 2 broke, I now own 7 steamers with the receipt of this one.
What I really like about this steamer is:
- It's great for small jobs such as steaming a bowl of oatmeal, a tiny bowl of soup, steaming 6 hardboiled eggs, steaming a small quantity of veges, etc.
- It has a small footprint. The trays are stackable within each other and fit nicely over the base for easy storage.
- The cord is 3 feet long.
- Tray 1 has six dimples/indentations to steam 6 eggs standing up.
- A plastic rice bowl comes with the steamer for steaming rice. Personally, I like to use my own dishes in the steamer and not plastic. The only time I use the steamer without any dishes is when I steaming veges or potatoes directly in the steamer bowls.
- For those who are interested, the steamer components (except for the base) are listed as dishwasher safe. It's easy to clean even if it were not dishwasher safe.
- The steamer offers the option of two tiers for extra steaming capacity.
- All I had to do is set the timer and the steam begins almost immediately. With a digital steamer such as this it is easier to set the time than with a mechanical (or dial) steamer.
Some concerns I have:
- There's no way to fill the water reservoir during use. Most steamers have an outside compartment to pour water in the tank should it get low during steaming; this steamer does not have that.Read more ›
You can steam well enough on a stove, but this is a way to do it without checking your water by lifting the top constantly. The plastic is also easier to handle; it doesn't get as hot as a metal pot. The plastic, according to the manufacturer, is BPA-free so suitable for food preparation.
You can cook with one tier or two, and you can steam rice in it, but I didn't even bother, as it's a lot slower than using a rice cooker. However, it is a good way to reheat rice. One of the tiers has 6 little depressions so you can steam eggs--this is the same way an electric egg cooker works, so if you like soft or hard boiled eggs, you can do them in this steamer.
After trying asparagus (see next paragraph regarding times in the booklet for cooking) I did salmon with ginger slices and lime juice on the bottom tier and a handful of broccoli on the top. It took 23 minutes. I did not have to refill the reservoir--the one downside of this unit is you can't see how much water is left. The fish was moist and really delicious. The broccoli had a lot of flavor (I didn't put a darn thing on the broccoli. No salt, no oil, no lemon.Read more ›
I only steamed with my bamboo steamers using a wok. Now that summer is coming I wasn't really in the mood to have boiling water heating up the kitchen so this fit the bill perfectly! Steaming veggies in this is very easy and it steams them evenly. (matter of fact I have just used it for Brussels Sprouts, came out great!)
It also has a timer function (up to 60 minutes). Since this is my first electric steamer, I am getting used to cooking times and the like, but so far I *really* like it!
I also really like the size, you can leave it on the counter if you wish it's about the size of our coffeemaker. It comes apart nicely/stores so you can put it in a compact spot. Cleaning it also very easy. All the components (except the base) are dishwasher safe.
I would say this is a perfect little steamer for veggies and/or smaller meals. Perfect if you have a bunch of fresh veggies to steam while saving stove top space, dorms, small kitchens etc..
I can see during the summer I will be using this electric steamer - a lot!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Awesome food steamer. This thing is great for steaming veggies. Love it! If you need a steamer but this one.Published 3 months ago by Scott P.
I love love love this steamer. It is not too big and not to small. I love steaming food using it. Its a very healthy alternative vs regular cooking of veggies. Read morePublished 5 months ago by MariaC
I bought this to help with my diet. I wanted to start eating fresh veggies more often and I've used this once or twice a week since I bought it. Read morePublished 7 months ago by Lynn Winright
We really enjoy this steamer. Use it a ton for rice, eggs, sweet potatoes, hot dogs, etc. Probably most used thing in our kitchen now.Published 7 months ago by AJB
I have used this product 5 times. It doesn't work anymore. Terrible, don't buy it.Published 9 months ago by Amazon Customer
I ABSOLUTELY JUST LOVE THIS PRODUCT. THE FOOD COMES OUT REALLY JUCIER THAN EVER. IT'S TIME EFFICIENT AS WELL. Read morePublished 10 months ago by Doris Williams
For the money this steamer is wonderful BPA free and works perfectly.Published 10 months ago by Amazon Customer