Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

on January 10, 2014
I produce Interview style videos for a living. I use a Professional field recorder with matched stereo microphones for my primary audio track. Recently I decided to add a "camera mount" shotgun microphone as a safety, aka a scratch track. The "on camera" microphone was useless, so why not? There is nothing more frustrating than shooting a set, then finding out your memory card or drive failed and you have no audio. So, I tried 1/2 a dozen different microphones ranging from a $30 "cheapie" all the way up to the $230+ Rode Pro.

So, the final decision was between the Rode Pro, and an inexpensive TAKSTAR (A brand I'd never heard of before). Evidently, the people behind TAKSTAR manufacture 99% of the shotgun camera microphones "for" brand name manufacturers like Opteka, Azden, AT and (you guessed it) Rode.

To my complete surprise, the TAKSTAR SGC-598 performed 99% as well as the Rode Pro, both indoors and outdoors. In fact, when editing audio in Post the TAKSTAR track was easier to work, with since it had a more neutral range. The Rode has a very heavy mid-range push (their "trademark" sound) which is fine for family videos or making your voice sound better on amateur documentaries, but very annoying to work with in a professional audio editor.

It was so inexpensive I picked up a second one as a spare (just in case) and plan to use them on all future shoots. The audio ended up being so good, I found I can easily use it as primary audio if my main system fails someday. Sure it will take a few hours to tweak/EQ, but it's a viable backup track, for practically free.

My verdict, if you want an inexpensive, great sounding shotgun, this is the way to go. It's easy to use, has great sound, decent line level, and it's well built. It also uses AA batteries.
review imagereview imagereview image
88 comments| 241 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
This review goes out to everyone thinking of buying a Rode videomic or a Takstar SGC-598.

BUY THIS MIC IF: you're on a small budget, don't mind boosting the sound in post production, and plan on speaking more or less directly into it. OR is you NEED to mic a lot of different areas simultaneously on the cheap.

DON'T BUY THIS IF: you're wanting a rich warm sounding mic that can pick up chatter from 25+ feet and requires very little post production tweaking. Spend money on a higher quality mic and you'll get your money's worth in time saved in post production.

First of all, let me acknowledge that you're on a budget. Most people are. Whether the budget it large or small there is always a budget. My budget was on the low end of high, being about $2-300 for my audio set up for an attempt at a youtube channel.

To begin with I bought a Rode Videomic off craigslist for $100 and was immediately impressed with the strong mids and it's ability to pick up voices and noises with clarity from 25+ feet. As I did more interviews and bought more equipment I realized that having multiple mics in one shoot would add some flexibility to my audio editing, so I started browsing mics again and found this.

Some reviewers say "it's just as good as a Rode, virtually indistinguishable!" but if you don't notice the difference between this mic and a videomic pro you've either got a junk audio in set up, or you should let someone else handle the audio editing. The Takstar is NOT a fantastic pro quality do everything mic, but it is a cheap and capable mic for budding videographers. Here's the ups and downs I've found after about 2-3 months of use and back to back testing between a videomic and this.

Ups:
-Decent clarity at close ranges
-Low enough hiss
-Smaller than I thought (it looks pretty huge in pictures)
-Buy 3 for the price of 1 Rode Videomic ($150)
-Great to put it in harms way, you're only risking $40

Downs:
-VERY quite, even with +10db on
-Struggles to pick up sounds from 25+ feet
-Shock mount is too stiff, might as well be glued on
22 comments| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 1, 2018
This is a great microphone for the price. The way I looked at it, it was either I spend $30 for this mic and get better sound than my internal microphone, or I could spend $200+ for a really great microphone that was going to sit on top of my camera. I'm a super low-budget filmmaker and I'm not using an expensive camera, so I thought, there wasn't any reason to spend hundreds on a microphone if I'm not making that much money and audio isn't super important right now.

$30 is perfect if you are looking to upgrade your mic from the internal mic on your DSLR. It sounds great, and in the right conditions it sounds amazing for the price! It has its limits, as would be expected from a mic so cheap, but its comparable quality to some of the cheaper RODE mics for a fraction of the price!

I also got a Neewer Dead Cat to put on top to help with wind noise, and it works great! Neewer® NW-MIC-121 Outdoor Microphone Furry Windscreen Muff for MIC-01 MIC108 MIC-121 Stereo Microphone, TAKSTAR SGC-598, NW-598, SHENGGU SG209 SG108 & Similar Mics
on June 29, 2017
I needed a shotgun microphone for an outdoor, beach wedding in order to be able to pick up the vows (a wireless mic could not be used). My budget was basically non-existent, so I needed something that worked, but also something I could afford. The Takstar SGC-598 had a lot of good reviews and the price was certainly right. I checked out some Youtube channels where videographers put this mic through tests and yes, the more expensive microphones did have a better quality, but the Takstar still had a good sound with other mics in the same price range, and even a lot of others that were more expensive. I am glad I went ahead and bought this mic because it worked well for the wedding, zeroing in on the vows while eliminating side and back noise. The levels were good and the mic produced very little ambient noise of its own (hums). I see that a lot of video bloggers are using this mic for their dialogue rather than the camera's onboard mic. The quality is certainly better. But I always recommend using a lavalier mic rather than a shotgun for this purpose. However, for purposes like I used it for, it excelled above and beyond the price.
on June 1, 2017
This does NOT fit the Nikon D5500 as listed. The round cylinder that is attached between the foot and the large round piece is way too wide. The foot slides in a couple millimeters and then the brackets hit the cylinder. It is one piece, so it cannot be adjusted to create a gap that can slide over the brackets on the hot shoe. See attached photo.
review image
on August 17, 2017
You get what you pay for. With that said, this product performs to the expectations I placed on it for the price I paid for it. It does its job and for that I gave it 5 stars. It is pretty much made of hard plastic all around with decent quality make that pretty much satisfy the audio quality I needed for my camera. It needed AA battery to power it, so make sure you don't forget to turn it on otherwise you will have a silent film. I'm not a video or film expert and therefore find this at a good enough quality for the video recording that I do. I'm sure that there are more expensive ones which would probably do a much better job but I'm totally fine with this one.
on May 18, 2017
This thing is awesome!! I did my research before I bought this mic, and I knew it was going to be a great fit for me. My purpose for getting this was so that I could get better hand-held audio with my GH4, and it's made all my dreams come true. The little built in microphone on my camera is a nice feature to have, but we all know that built in mics are going to pick up the camera operator's voice loudest of all which is usually not the goal, and is especially unfortunate if you're prone to the cam-op giggles. All I wanted to do was focus in on one person in a noisy room, and the Takstar does it well. I modified the Takstar's suspension system because the rubber thingies that it comes with are way too stiff and don't stifle rattling at all, so I just replaced them with some colorful hair-styling rubber bands and it works so much better. The battery life has even been good so far; I make sure to turn it off between shooting, but I went for a couple hours without needing to replace the AA. Would I use this for in the making of a short film? Maybe! It really is very decent quality. It's two steps up from where I was, so I'm a happy filmmaker.
on April 13, 2015
Rating: 4/5

Pros:
-Warm, clear voice
-Low background hiss
-Good battery life
-Takes AA batteries

Cons:
-Quiet, even in +10db mode
-Best for close range
-Shock mount is far too stiff

Summary: While taking into consideration that the Takstar is by no means a professional mic, the audio from it is quite surprising, with a good amount of warmth and a low hiss. However, don’t expect miracles from it- because it is quiet, the mic works best in close range. I would suggest using it for vlogging, close-up interviews or voice recording on a computer.

------
Full Review:
------

Build Quality & Appearance:
I was immediately surprised at the appearance of this mic. It looks professional. It’s not too big nor too small. It could work well as an on camera mic or off camera (if you purchase a audio cable extension). My primary purpose for using this microphone will be in the videos I make. My initial impressions are quite good - I think this mic will work for me. Whether or not it'll work for you depends on your application. If you're looking to record subtle nuances that happen 20 feet away, look elsewhere, but if you're recording fairly close audio and interviews and you have a budget this may be one of your best choices.

It was quite obvious however that the shock mount is a bit stiff upon first filming as anything that bumped the camera tripod made noise.

Audio Quality:
This mic is a fairly neutral balance, with emphasis on the mid and lower tones. This makes for quite a pleasing amount of bass in male voices, but doesn’t wash out female voices. By all means, it isn’t in the same class as a professional mic, but at 1/3rd the cost of many professional mics it is more than acceptable.

There is a little bit of fuzz in the background but it is easily edited out in post. In fact, this mic’s best strength is that it offers a lot of wiggle room in post production.

The only downside is that this mic is rather quiet. It is best used for closer up interviews and I wouldn’t suggest standing more than 10 feet away from the mic.

Conclusion:
The best thing about this mic is its price: it is available to anyone on almost any budget and competes with many higher end microphones in terms of performance. That being said, it isn’t a professional mic but what your money buys you is a perfectly serviceable product that may in fact surprise you.

Robert D.
DrekiTech
OK so what do i have to say about this mic well it works well when the audio source is near to the front of the mic and if you are in a loud area but far away you can still use the mic to get way better sound than you would from the on cam microphone this takstar should be used with a dead cat wind screen for out door recording the 10 db gain is helpful if you are recording into your camera and if you can monitor your audio it makes it easier to control the levels also i would recommend not using the low pass filter and just fix any low rumbles in post so you have more data to work with also this mic is not super directional it will pic any thin around it so try to keep it isolated also the sock mount helps but is not that great you can still get some noises from it moving if you ask me this mic is wonderful for the price comparable to the rode video mic go. if you are on a budget this mic works wonder if you know what your doing

THIS MIC IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR VOICE OVER AUDIO OR VOCALS FOR MUSIC
For an inexpensive microphone, this one does the job very well. The isolation mount dampens the handling noise, but you should still shoot from a tripod (to reduce handling and movement noise) whenever possible. I use this not only for 'run and gun' situations, but also for tripod-mounted shoots. The microphone's cardioid pattern works well in suppressing sound from outside the pickup pattern (I was quite pleased with my testing of this feature). The audio quality is fairly good, but certainly not equivalent to the quality of professional-quality studio mics (and I would not expect it to be at this price point).
For a budget-minded videographer, this represents a very good value and you can expect good quality results as long as you are using proper techniques.