Lyft BCA Month Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

TCL 55S405 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model)
Size: 55-Inch|Configuration: TV only|Change

Showing 1-10 of 398 reviews(Size: 55-Inch|Configuration: TV only). See all 771 reviews
on July 11, 2017
Here's the short version:
If you grew up poor and can't mentally justify spending a month of rent in urban California on a single television, if you're poor as heck right now but could conceivably afford this television, if you've never owned a 4k TV, if you've never owned an especially large TV, you will not be disappointed by this gigantic freaking monstrosity of a display. It nicely upscales 1080p content, it has a nice frame rate, it has passable speakers you can hear the bass on, and as someone who is picky about delay to the point of 25ms being effectively unusable for music-based games I am very happy with the "game mode" option that removes the delay typically associated with HDMI displays. It is a good TV and everyone in my family, which includes two audio people and a visual artist, is extremely happy with it.

The detailed version:

Given the extremely low cost compared to similarly sized TVs it is surprisingly high quality.
The remote is minimal, comfortable, and easy to use.
Has a phone app in case you're one of the many people who habitually misplace the remote. App does exactly the same things the remote does.
The speakers kinda suck at low volumes, but it's whatever. If you care about audio quality go buy some fancy external hookups. It's good enough that I can bump the Thumper soundtrack and it's still a decent listening quality. Actually plays tones below 200Hz and does so cleanly, so it's better than most TVs I've had.
It has a "game mode" that it claims will affect the picture quality, but does not noticeably do, and the lack of delay is such that it is not noticeable to me, a musician to whom 25ms of delay is unacceptably bad and unusable. I'm actually able to play Thumper on the Nintendo Switch with no problems whereas with my previous TV it was so bad that I opted instead to play on console with headphones. This is the feature that I love the most about this TV.
The upscaling is such that on my gaming PC I saw no difference between 4k and 1080p when playing GTA5 (except for the frame rate when large distances or a large number of objects are visible, which is entirely due to the fact that I'm playing it on a GTX1060).
It has a lot of service integrations, such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, Google Play Movies, and a few others.
IT'S HUGE OH MY GOD I AM BAD AT CONCEPTUALISING PHYSICAL SPACE I DID NOT REALISE HOW BIG FIFTY-FIVE INCHES IS EVEN WHEN ESTIMATING ITS SIZE BASED ON MY EXISTING 40" TELEVISION I LITERALLY HAD TO REARRANGE MY ENTIRE ROOM AND BUILD NEW FURNITURE TO ACCOMMODATE THIS THING???????
It's surprisingly thin.
Does CEC and has settings to automatically switch channels based on what just turned on.
Lots of options for controlling and customising various aspects of the television including picture and audio correction, accessibility options including captions and spoken audio transcription (I have not tested the latter feature), and UI skins. You should absolutely poke around the options as much as possible once you get this as there are several options for things like the refresh rate of the display, which I imagine is relevant to a lot of people. (I am not intimately familiar with specifics of refresh rates, but I have seen no tearing or distortion from fast-motion visuals and things appear to animate smoothly.)
Does some advertising for purchasing media through Roku, presumably to offset the cost of the device. It isn't especially intrusive and only consists of movie posters in a small portion of the screen at very select times in one part of one menu.
Does require a significant amount of opting out of certain things.
Overall a fantastically huge, featureful, and good-looking TV for the cost.

Regarding complaints I've seen in other reviews: My product did not show up broken, it has not stopped working despite extensive use since I got it, I have no complaints about the refresh rate, it displays 4k content over HDMI with no issues, they say it's a glossy screen but it's really just unusually and disconcertingly smooth and otherwise significantly less glareful and reflective than my previous television, it has effectively no inconsistencies with backlighting or colour (just a small spot that's slightly brighter, which is only visible at extreme viewing angles or if the screen is effectively displaying nothing but black, and I don't mean like really dark or a scene at night I mean like literally it is displaying the colour black over 50% of the screen, and only then is it noticeable from a front angle, and just barely at that).

So if you're one of those folks that buys artisan gold plated audio cables aged seven years in oaken casks, if you buy two of the Ti version of the latest nVidia graphics card because you absolutely need to run everything on "Ultra" at 120FPS in 4k, if you're the kind of person who thinks Grey Goose tastes better, you probably won't like this TV.

If 10% not as good as the best thing for 1/4 of the cost is your jam, this is an amazing purchase. I freaking love my new giant TV.
review image
2626 comments| 1,125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2017
I am shocked at the picture quality. I went into this purchase wanting a larger inexpensive TV for the master bedroom. So far I am floored, the picture blows away my Panasonic plasma I purchased several years ago (for 3x the price). The Roku OS is super easy, The antenna integration and USB storage for recording live programming are great.

One small item I can nitpick is the white LED at the bottom center of the TV that remains on after powering off. I haven't dug through all the settings yet, I will post an update if I can disable it. Update: The LED can be disabled in settings under power settings.

If this set can continue to perform, I will replace my main Panasonic Plasma with the new TCL C Series

The pic is from a nature show "The Hunt" streamed from Netflix.

I can't imagine a better picture for the price point. That coupled with the Roku OS and I am extremely happy with this purchase
review image
88 comments| 431 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2017
Great TV for the price! The up conversion is hit or miss but mostly it is a hit. I've been recording videos in HD, 1080p for many many years, wedding videos and such and they looked great on a 1080p TV but the up conversion makes them look even better! Somehow it can even break down the strands of hair and make them stand out. With the 720p upconversion, it still looks good. When you start going lower and lower like 480 then it starts to look blotchy and sometimes even worse than the original.

The overall picture is great! The screen is bright, the blacks are solid, the colors are vivid and brilliant, it truly looks great! with the 120hz, I don't see too much motion lag in faster action movies, I haven't watched sports with it yet though.

The sound, blah... terrible! No matter what anyone else says, it's only good enough to listen to, nothing great. I just hooked up a set of powered PC speakers to it for now and they sound much better.

The menu is super simple and easy to navigate and use, it is very intuitive. The remote is the same, it has enough features and the buttons are placed where you would expect them to be. The video and other menu's though are very simplistic. By default, you are able to select most of their pre-programmed and use them easily. They honestly look great already, I don't believe many people will want to deviate from that. But there is an advanced menu as well where you can change all the individual settings like saturation, hue, warmth, and the others.

From what I have experienced, seen previously, and researched as well Sony and Samsung make the best TVs if you pay for one of their higher end models but for the price and value this TV can't be beat. I'm glad I paid the extra $50 for this 2017 version over the 2016 version. If anyone is looking at the 2016 model, here are the main differences I seen between them:

1) 2016 has no HDR, so no true black and no vivid color contrast
2) 2016 energy star rating is not as well, I think you will save about $11 - 15 in electricity bills in a year with the 2017 model. So in 2 or 3 years it will pay for the difference.

I would highly recommend this TV to anyone who is looking for an EXCELLENT low or moderate budget TV. It is also great for someone who is not as "tech savoy" as the remote and menu's are easy to use. I can only compare this to a Septre 50" 4K TV I bought last year to see how the videos and picture would look on a 4K TV. The video on this TV is much brighter and distinguished, the upconversion on it is much better, the sound on the Septre was better though than this one.
22 comments| 150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2017
Truly impressive television at twice the price. I've had several "Name Brand" TV's in the past and I had a small bit of hesitation about buying my first TCL, but this TV has put all those hesitations to rest. The screen is hands down the best I've seen, bright and crystal clear. The ROKU software is lightning fast and functions perfectly. If I had to choose anything I didn't like, I'd have to say the remote is small and could easily be lost. If you're contemplating buying a TCL and having reservations, take the leap, you won't be disappointed. Highly recommended product.
on October 17, 2017
Nice TV for price. Great having all the apps on the tv. No issue with Hulu, amazon or netflix. The speakers are kind of weak though. Have to have loud to hear voices but then all the sound effects are way too loud. Thats a bummer.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2017
Excellent picture, great quality item. Sleek and easy to move. The remote has buttons for Amazon, HBO, Netflix, and Sling. Easy to switch between cable, Xbox, DVD, etc with one remote.
on October 7, 2017
Good product for $399. Roku is built in and pretty intuitive. Sound quality is decent. No complaints
on September 30, 2017
This TV has been fantastic value for the money. Picture looks great and the response time of the smart interface to user input has been much faster compared to a Samsung smart TV I owned previously. Interface is intuitive and easy to use.
on July 7, 2017
very pleased with this product ,easy to setup and very good performance
on September 30, 2017
Great picture good sound won't connect with my cable remote but not TV fault. Only thing I would change is the outer box in shipping had HUGE bock letters saying TV and was left on my porch again no fault on the TV