BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 1, 2007
Haven't finished the whole book yet, but I feel like it pretty much gave me what I needed by page 102. Recently I was asked to help with a project for embedded FPGA programming. The programming IDE is Eclipse with Altera's NiosII plugin's.

The existing code base did not include any TCP/IP interface, so that has to be implemented. Luckily, the Nios-II platform ships with a simple example project to show the concept and programming style, it did not give too much insight for what is going on behind the scenes.

The project I am working is to create a Socket server interface to this FPGA with a defined application protocol and command set. Having not coded seriously C since graduate school, it started somewhat of a challenge. After a few weeks, I got the urge to understand what is going on behind the scenes.

Knowing what I know about networks, this book solidified and explained the concepts behind socket programming and helped me understand the program calls from the sample application. Step-by-step and clear concept explanation style is also appreciated.

In short, I would recommend this book to anyone who is tasked with creating a socket client/server interface in C language. As a final note, me and another seasoned C programmer co-worker did not get the "code fragment" on page xii, even though I typed and executed in the code in a compiler. We just scratched our heads thinking why anyone would write like that?... hmmm... There is probably a reason that we don't know. Overall good book, instructional, to the point, and as they say, practical. Would definitely recommend it, if you deal with sockets in C.
on October 2, 2013
This was found to be a reasonable overview of the TCP/IP socket programing world. It is brief but surprisingly complete. I found its only weak point was that the syntax of a number of the calls used in examples were different from those used in a Windows program. If you are working strictly in Linux, this may not be an issue. I could blame microsoft for intentionally producing calls which were non standard but we have to live with them.
on August 11, 2009
Although the book is a bit dated it definitely is a must have. I went from a complete network beginner to having a strong confidence in the basics of networking after spending two days reading this book. It is very similar in style as that of K&R in that it is short, to the point, and easy to read. This book covers all the basic networking models for clients and servers, and even at the end goes into more detail on how the packets are actually sent and how the sockets work at a more fundamental level. Even with the need to look up some of the new functions used that are compatible with IPv6, I still feel that buying this book was the best option I could have chosen.
on August 10, 2013
Short and concise, no fluff -- gives you the knowledge what you need to deal with programming sockets. I've used this book on two different work places -- a great reference!
on December 29, 2008
If you're an experienced programmer and need to use sockets then this book is for you. It's a lot of meat and little fat. You will be using sockets within a day with this book. No fighting your way through a lot of fluff just to find one or two programming gems. This book gives it to you straight. Well worth the money.
on March 3, 2012
Please don't buy this book if you have no knowledge of C programming. However,
if you understand C, this book shows you some very good examples of socket programming in C.
Very hand and good referral.
on December 29, 2012
I needed to ramp up on sockets quick for a critical project. This book presented the information I needed, quickly and concisely. Project was successful and ships.
on December 16, 2007
This was just the book that I was looking, at the right price and in good condition.
on May 15, 2004
The reviews by the Amazon reviewers "Rebecca L Kuri" and "Erick & Janet Wagner" accurately describe my thoughts on "TCP/IP Sockets in C:..". I too waded through the "W.R. Stevens" books, "Internetworking with TCP/IP" Volumes I thru III, and a few other Unix socket books but did not find one that provided as much information in as short a time as this book.
"Bob Tribit's" negative review of this book is useful to people already familiar with network programming. He provides good reasoning on using the more thorough books of "W.R. Stevens", which are very useful in their context.
If you plan to do Windows socket programming you still might want to pick this book up as an initial reference, but the Winsock2 API's and data structures are different. The Winsock APIs still have the underlying data requirements for the standard IP protocols, which is why this might still provide useful information.
on August 12, 2002
This book is awesome. I've been writing tcp/ip sockets code for years and I've used all the standard reference books (Esp. the Stevens books) and they're great. Let me tell you, though, that I wish I had this book when I got started with TCP/IP programming. It's clear, it goes into sufficient detail to get you to understand what's going on, but not so much that you get lost.
I read in two pages of this book something that none of the other books showed, the 'pre-forking' server model which things like Apache use. None of my other books explain how this works, this does, clearly and concisely. Even though I own all the standards (TCP/IP Illustrated volumes 1, 2 and 3, and both editions of Unix Network Programming by Stevens) when I got a chance to thumb through this book (and it's sister book "TCP/IP sockets in java") I knew immediately I would be buying them.
Excellent. Just Excellent.