Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,123 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,176 reviews
on May 1, 2012
Let me be clear: this is just a modem that will bridge to your router. This is in fact exactly what I wanted, because I have PPPoE and all routing/NAT on my wireless router, so I didn't need all that other stuff on my modem. A Motorola modem from AT&T was going to cost me $80 with tax. This TP-Link is a steal.

That being said, the instructions aren't quite correct. For Windows XP and Vista the manual shows that you need to manually set a static IP address on your computer to log into the modem. For Windows 7 it indicates that you should set your computer to retrieve an IP address automatically. That is not true (this modem doesn't do DHCP). And don't plan on calling tech support; the 24/7 tech support number told me no one was available. For that I dinged it a half star.

To set it up you'll need the ADSL VPI and VCI settings from your provider. I had never heard of these, but you can find a list at e.g. [...] . The default settings of 0/35 work just fine with AT&T, so I actually could have plugged it in and not changed anything---a plug-and-play bridge. I logged in and changed the IP address, though---it comes configured to 192.168.1.1.

In all, you can't beat the price and it does what it's supposed to do. If you don't need instructions or tech support, you're good to go.

And no, the version I received doesn't look like the picture, thankfully---just a handsome medium-sized black box.
44 comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2016
I cannot go into all of the details, but I had severe problems with this unit. I spent over five hours on the phone, or in cues with TP and CenturyLink. Much of this time was wasted, as there was some "gate" issue, which the tech. spt. folks at CL had no knowledge of. After over five hours on the phone at CL and TP, I eventually got it to work on my own. Probably could not do it again.

If you have CL, the directions for this unit are completely obsolete. Get something that CL actually recommends, not something that is supposed to work on CL, as this one is.

I had a TP router that worked fine, this doesn't, and now that it works, it seems to drop the signal frequently. Will probably replace it anyway, even though it is finally working. As for CL and TP tech. spt., willing people, but absolute torture. Bring back USA tech spt NOW!
on June 30, 2016
I needed to replace my old modem which was probably over 10 years old. After reading many reviews, I decided to go with this modem. Set up wasn't bad, but within a day it started dropping the connection. At first, I thought that maybe it was my provider having some difficulties but after it dropped connections consistently when there was more than one device on the network I figured it was the modem. It didn't always have to be multiple devices, sometimes it randomly dropped when I was just online with my laptop. I got back on Amazon, read the poor reviews and saw that was the main reason why people had left bad reviews. I had waited a little bit to set this up after receiving it and then thought the dropped connections would surely slack off but they got more and more frequent. I was still in the return window so I returned it and ordered one more just like it thinking I might get one of the ones people raved about. It was super easy to switch it over and I thought all was well until 45 minutes later, with only my laptop on the network, my connection was dropped.

The device feels light and cheap and unfortunately that was the quality that I got both times. I'm going to return this one as well and order a more expensive one. Maybe if you order one, you will get lucky and get one of the units that the majority of people raved about. However, I struck out twice and it just isn't worth the hassle!

Within two hours of being set up, it has already dropped the connection 3 times. Once while writing this review.
on June 6, 2016
Ordered this ADSL2+ modem as CenturyLink, WA, wanted $100 for their modem, and the reviews on that modem as well as any of their 'certified' modems were junk or manufacture discontinued.

CenturyLink did not provide the needed PPPoE username/password with any customer notification - I had to call them and politely demand it, which they did (apparently TP-LINK knows this, and clear directions are included with TP-LINK documentation).

Anyway, when I have this modem plugged directly into the NID (on the outside of the house, where CTL terminates) I do get a spiky 10Mbps service download/200kbps upload) which is acceptable in the neighborhood i'm in. My house wiring needs some work, when I plug into a telephone wall jack I get considerably less. Since I dont need dialtone, I think I'm just going to leave it wired direct into the NID

I paired this with TP-LINK Wireless N300 Home Router 300Mbps Certified for IPv6 (TL-WR841N) and programmed the password combo into it and it works great.

I'm happy to get this modem inexpensively and works good.
on July 4, 2016
Did not work out of the box. Power light and DSL lights were on, but unable to configure. I'm an IT trained professional - Spent half an hour with my ISP then 2 minutes with TP-LINK Tech support in China(?) who was unable and unwilling to help me, and a total of three hours on my own and it would not connect or configure. Reinstalled my old temperamental modem and it works fine (until it heats up, then I have to re-set it = typical 1.5 - 2 year old modem...).
on April 20, 2017
Works great for my AT&T DSL service (non-Uverse).

It was a bit tricky to get to work but it started working in under 1 hour.

I have a ASUS router that the modem worked well with.. I configured my router to use PPPoE with my AT&T user name and password.

I did not need to access the DSL modem directly.

I replaced an old SpeedStream modem and am no longer having issues with slow (like 9600 bps slow!) performance and connectivity issues.
on August 26, 2016
Update 2017-08-13:
Well, don't trust the promise of lightning protection. I had lightning strike a few weeks ago over 100 feet from my house. "Pop". No internet. I opened the case and saw that the main microchip inside had a sizable burnt crater in it. I didn't dock a star from my rating, though I probably should have. Personally, although they advertise that sort of lightning protection in a device, it's the end-user's responsibility to adequately protect the device. This was plugged into an old UPS (surge arresting function was probably worn out. They only last a few years). Also, my phone line wasn't plugged into a surge arrestor (though I thought it was! Oops!) At the same time this fried, so too did my Roku 2 (plugged into my router, not directly into this modem). I don't know if the power surge was through the air, through the power line, or through the phone line. But either way, always make sure that your device is plugged into an adequate surge arrestor both electrically and through the phone line. Don't trust this device to be bulletproof on its own. And no, I didn't try getting warranty service. I'm not even sure if this thing's warrantied against lightning or not. I just know that it advertises having lightning protection... that didn't work.

Original Review:
Silent but efficient. Setup was simple, but I did have to jump through the hoop of configuring my Windows 10 ethernet adapter to use static IP address 192.168.1.2 in order to set up. Actually, I may not have needed that step... It is set by default to Multimode Annex A/I/L/M, with VPI/VCI 0/35... Settings perfectly compatible with my local small ISP. On the CD are instructions for configuring your static IP for setup, but they're for a Win98/XP/ME computer, so knowledge of how to get around in your network adapter settings on newer OS's may be required. A good solid modem, easy to set up, but does require some know-how to configure. Updated instructions should be provided, hence why only 4 stars.
on December 14, 2016
Got this to replace the old Actiontec modem provided by CenturyLink.

I deducted one star because the Quick Start Guide that shipped with the product omitted a step I needed to get this thing going with my CenturyLink PPPoE service.

I was a little hesitant to get a modem that was not officially supported by CenturyLink, because as i suspected their Customer Service was only of limited assistance. But I've set up a half dozen of these things in the past so wasn't too worried. But it was, unfortunately, not a 5 minute set-up.

After running the Wizard and entering my PPPoE username, password and VPI/VCI info and clicking Close I then had to go to the Maintenance tab, select SysRestart and then Restart with Current Settings. Took me over an hour to figure this out, hope it helps someone else.

Another minor negative is that it requires an external splitter to separate the Line and Phone cords rather than having integrated ports in the unit but I won't complain too much as this was by far the cheapest DSL modem on the site.
on July 23, 2016
This thing is a pain to set up. I connected this with a tp-link archer router and nothing. I Called Century link to get information I needed to try an connect but this still did nothing. I then tried to call tp-link's customer service for some help. It took me 6 calls! to get through to someone. The lady that finally answered acted like it killed her to help me. After a day wasted I did finally got everything set up. I do like tp-link's products but after this day I probably will look else were
on February 22, 2016
Works great. Easy to set up. Very happy I got it. Now I don't have to pay the monthly equipment fee anymore and this works at least as well as the one from centurylink. I actually think it works faster.