Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 262 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 293 reviews
on January 9, 2010
I think this CD player is getting an undeservedly bad rep in much of the feedback on here.

I should start by mentioning that I am not an audiophile. I have a decent audio setup based around basic stereo (no digital surround-sound) consisting of a Harman Kardon receiver and Sony tower speakers. While these originally retailed for several hundred dollars each, they are far below the price range of the kind of high-end components that an audio expert would own and require.

That said, I currently own about three thousand compact discs, mostly classical, and because of the longterm investment that this collection represents it has remained important for me even in the age of the MP3 to have a way to play my CDs at home, with high quality sound and a system setup that is easy and convenient to use.

For the last several years before I bought this TEAC player I had been using various DVD players to play my CDs. The results were good enough in terms of sonics but my chief complaint was that the DVD players had been primarily designed for playing DVDs. This meant that the most effective way to interact with them (and, for some features, the ONLY way) was by using the remote control to manipulate a menu that was displayed on my TV. The buttons and display on the units themselves were rudimentary or non-existent: just the basic buttons for opening and closing the tray, playing the disc, skipping to the next index, etc., and not much else. If I wanted to know something as simple as which track number of a CD was currently playing, I'd have no way to tell just by looking at the display on the DVD player itself. All it would show was the elapsed time on the disc (another DVD-centric functionality.)

Other things were irritating as well. For example, because DVD players are engineered to expect DVDs as the default disc format, whenever I would insert a CD instead of a DVD there would be a few seconds' delay while the player adjusted to the differently formatted media.

This all led me to finally decide that I would revert back to using a dedicated CD player to play my CDs. Furthermore, I wanted this player to be single-disc. While multi-disc players have a huge advantage for playing popular music due to their effective shuffle-play, for a CD collection that is mostly classical there is rarely a need to jump between random tracks on the same disc, let alone across several discs. Since multi-disc players also take up more space, are a bit more cumbersome to use in terms of inserting and removing discs, and have more moving parts (and therefore more points of potential failure), I decided that a single-disc player was the only way to go.

Given these requirements, in all respects the TEAC has proven to be a terrific player. It has an attractive, straightforward design with a clear, bright display that gives you an immediate sense of where you are in the context of the CD that is playing. The construction is solid, too, with buttons that don't feel cheap and flimsy and a CD tray that opens and closes with impressive smoothness and a true sense of purpose compared to some of the DVD players I've owned. There is also a quick spin-up of a newly inserted CD so that the player is promptly ready to go almost as soon as you've put in a new disc.

Of course there remains the important matter of sound quality, and shame on me for taking seven paragraphs to finally get around to that! However to my ears the sonics on the TEAC are excellent. In fact I could swear that there is added depth and richness to the sound compared to the DVD players that I've used to play my CDs in the past.

I have not yet used the TEAC's MP3-related playback features and I have not yet had a problem with any of my CDs being unplayable. Another reviewer has mentioned the player's "ESP" feature (Electronic Shock Protection). This enables buffering of a disc's data stream so that if the player gets bumped or shaken its playback can continue smoothly. The TEAC user manual says that this feature is unnecessary if the player is used in a stable setup free from unexpected physical shocks. I have played my CDs with ESP both turned off and on and have yet to experience any issues. (ESP cannot be turned off when playing MP3s.) The only possible annoyance is that ESP doesn't remain permanently off once it's set and must be disabled again each time the player is powered up, and the only way to do that is by using a button on the remote control. There is no "ESP" button on the front planel of the unit itself.

As a single-disc player with only basic functionality the TEAC could probably also afford to be a bit smaller in size, with less of a footprint and about half the height, but at a time when low-cost, dedicated, single-disc CD players are a rare commodity, this seems like a minor quibble. My overall rating for the TEAC CD-P1260 is 5 stars.
2525 comments| 308 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2009
This is a straight ahead no frills CD player. However that's exactly what I wanted and I was not disappointed. I've had no issues with it playing any discs in my collection as others have stated in their reviews. It has all the basic functions and the mp3 capabilities are a nice addition. The controls on the deck are self evident and the remote works well. If you are looking for a nice dependable unit without a multitude of features you'll never use anyways, this is a great place to start.
0Comment| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2014
For people in a hurry: I've had this TEAC CD-P1260 CD player for about 7 months, listening to it almost every day (or several hours a week), it sounds great and has worked flawlessly. The built-in headphone jack/amplifier works well. I am very pleased with the quality.

This TEAC P1260 is a basic CD player, meant to be installed as part of a stereo system for listening to music over speakers, though it's possible to use it all by itself by plugging headphones into the jack on the front. This player plays only commercial audio CDs, CD-R/RW copies of commercial CDs, and CD-R/RW discs with mp3 files. It will NOT play .wav files or anything else, and the manual says it may not play variable bit-rate mp3 files. I don't listen to mp3s because they sound crappy, so I can't confirm that. But a friend gave me a disc with .wav music files, and this TEAC CD player would not play it. Every other CD player in the house would, including an inexpensive boom box, so be aware that this P1260 is limited mainly to commercial audio CDs and copies of such CDs. I think that's what most people would use a CD player for anyway.

This is a quality item. It feels heavier to me than the 20-year-old CD players I own. The opening and closing of the drawer is quiet and dignified. The finish of the metal case is a matte black that doesn't look cheap. The display consists of white alphanumeric characters on a very soothing medium blue background. The buttons used for basic operation are arranged logically from left to right: open (close), play (pause), stop, skip back, skip forward. The labeling of the buttons is somewhat hard to see in dim light, a common problem with modern stereo equipment. There is another horizontal row of smaller buttons below the above for shuffle, repeat, program, and intro check (plays the first 10 seconds of each track) functions. I never used any of these functions. I also never used the remote, but I did note that the buttons are well spaced and also logically arranged. On the back are the tin-plated left and right RCA jacks for connecting the P1260 to an amplifier or stereo receiver; the necessary cable is included (about 1 meter long).

An outstanding feature of this low-priced CD player is the built-in headphone jack and amplifier with volume control. The jack is the large, 1/4 inch type, which means most headphones will require an adapter (decent headphones come with an adapter). Many audiophiles claim that a separate headphone amp is necessary for good listening, but I thought this built-in amp sounded just fine. It has enough power for even the most inefficient headphones in my collection. If the P1260 is connected to an amplifier, plugging headphones into the front jack will disconnect the RCA output jacks on the back.

The specifications given in the manual claim 8X oversampling, if you're interested, and the frequency response is 20-20kHz, within 2 dB. The frequency response could be a little tighter, but then it would cost a lot more.

Some credible reviews of this TEAC CD player have indicated reliability problems. As I said at the beginning, I have had mine for 7 months now, using it as much as most people would, maybe more, and I haven't had any problems (knock on wood!). In my experience, TEAC has always made quality audio equipment, so I really didn't expect to have problems. Maybe I have just been lucky so far. All I can report is my personal experience, which has been totally satisfactory. It sounds great, works great, looks great, and has the feel of a quality piece of audio equipment. I think it is a great buy for anyone looking for a no-frills, basic CD player.
on January 13, 2013
I too was a little leery about purchasing this cd player based upon some of the negative reviews it has received but for $89.00 (cost before Christmas) I thought I'd take the plunge. I'm totally satisfied I made the purchase. I believe you will be as well if you make the purchase.

I had been in search of a good single tray cd player. I had trouble finding a single tray player within my budget range as most of what I could locate were high priced esoteric models. I could locate the multi disc player types, but I choose to listen to cd's one at a time so multi disc did not fit my reqirements. Of course dvd players are capable of playing cd's thus I've been using my dvd player as my cd player. I was never truly satisfied with the musicality of the dvd player as a cd player. I continued to listen to my cd collection through my dvd player until I came across this particular model from TEAC. I had recalled TEAC had always been a fairly respectable consumer electronics manufacturer.

My set up is fairly simple and old school. I have a Yamaha RX-496 Stereo Receiver 75 w rms, B&W DM601 Series 2 speakers. I find the TEAC fits my requirements and is very musical regardless of the type of music being played. I listen to mostly classical but do enjoying putting on the occasional jazz or rock cd. The sound of this player is wonderful and I'm again enjoying my cd collection to its fullest. The sound I was getting with my dvd player always seemed compressed. This TEAC unit has given new life to my cd collection. The sound stage is much more open and one can actually hear the interaction between bow and string in a classical recording. The bass is full and natural. The treble sharp and clear without harshness. I have a "tone defeat" switch on my receiver which I always have ingaged and the recordings come through full and natural.

In regards to the negative reviews; I believe some of the "no disc" problems people have or may be experiencing seem to be with the mp3 capability of this player. I play strictly "store" bought cd's. I have not jumped on the down loading, streaming, and mp3 band wagon, I know I'm a dinosaur. So, I don't pretend to be an expert on this aspect of this machine's capabilities. Though, having read the owner's manual there are several cautions contained within about making sure that you properly "finalize" your cd-r and cd-rw discs as well making sure you have properly "closed" your session when using mp3. The people who seem to be having problems with this player giving a "no disc" message may wish to re-read the manual to see if any of their problems fit what is described in the manual. I know it's quite possible that a unit may be damaged during shipping or occasionally slip past quality control so I will not totally ignore the possibility of the occurrences of problems mentioned in the reviews for this product. My experience with this product so far has been very positive and I am very glad I made the purchase.

I do believe this TEAC single tray player is all that it's supposed to be. A very musical, simple to operate, first rate player. TEAC seems to subscribe to the old addage of "KISS", Keep It Simple Stupid. I have found no short comings for what this player is meant to accomplish. So if you're looking for a high quality, single tray analog cd player look no further and at $89.00 it's a definite 5 star bargain.

I bought my unit before Christmas and I have recently (1/13/13) checked prices for this unit and find that it's being offered at $85 and change on Amazon.

A note for you "high-enders"; there is no "digital out" for this player only analog. Onkyo does have a nice single tray cd player that does have the digital outs and can be found here on Amazon for around $180-$190.
on May 28, 2016
Product is making an audible clicking noise from the cd spinning. It's past the 30 days for returning to Amazon so I will check on the product warranty. I will update this review based on how it's handled. Called TEAC and they said to exchange it through Amazon. When I try to replace it I get an automatic automatic reply that says it's past the return window of one month. Will call Amazon next to speak to someone about this as TEAC suggested.
on April 2, 2015
Biggest hunk of cd-player crap I've ever owned. Purchased my very first cd player component in the late 80's (Realistic). My second one (Yamaha) in the 90's. I used them ALOT and actually wore them out. I bought this one on February 4, 2014. I played MAYBE 6 cd's on it. I turned it on yesterday (April 2, 2015) to record a cd to tape, and it took forever to load. Then it would not play. After several attempts, it would display 00:00. After another several seconds, it would try to start the song, sputter, and stop. It has a one-year warranty - expired two months ago.

I am COMPLETELY disgusted with this unit and wish I had not sold my Yamaha. It still worked, but with a glitch that prevented it being used to record - the only reason I sold it. I may just have to pony up several hundred dollars to buy another Yamaha. This is my first and last experience with TEAC. Actually, my second and last. The first CD-P1260 I bought arrived broken and was returned. Another reason I'm ticked is because I just used the box to ship a jacket I sold on eBay! :/

UPDATE: I purchased a Yamaha CD-S300 and just hooked it up. It has a two-year warranty. If it were to take a dump as quickly as the TEAC did, it would be still be under warranty.
on January 30, 2014
Like other reviewers have noted, develops problems playing back CDs. The first 6 months it worked perfectly, then suddenly developed the condition where it says NO DISC after any CD is inserted. If you keep ejecting/replacing the disk it will eventually play though the first track or two skips and is distorted.

Reading other reviews/complaints, this appears to be a common problem. Component CD players have been on the market for 30 years now. It's shocking that the bugs aren't worked out of them.

The one year warranty is worthless because you have to box it up, pay $30 to ship it to the manufacturer, then wait six weeks for a replacement, which I'm sure will fail in short order too.

Bottom line: pick a different brand of CD player.
on December 25, 2012
There are some of us who disdain CD changers, probably because we are purists and desire to keep our CD's in their jewel cases. Or, we might be a music professional, who needs to change discs frequently. In either case, the TEAC CD-P1260 fills the bill nicely. Perhaps you are moving beyond CD's into MP3 discs with hundreds of songs on them. This machine can handle those, supposedly, although I have not tried, believing that there is a better format for music than an aggressive compression algorithm. Because it is a single disc player, accessing the laser for cleaning is much easier. The price that I paid was very reasonable, a sale which I was lucky to catch. My 22 year old Sony player was beginning to get temperamental.

Unfortunately, I am discovering that the CD-P1260 does not play CD-R discs very well, often failing to track properly and resetting to the stand-by state instead of advancing to the next track. And these are discs that my 20 year-old Sony was playing without any problem. I have not had any difficulty with factory pressed discs, but I am very disappointed that the discs I have burned often don't play on this machine. The first unit I received would not play ANY burned discs, and I had to return it. The replacement did not immediately fail to perform, but I noticed problems a couple of months after I got it. I cannot give it a total zero rating, because it does play factory discs, but it lacks some features I like, such as time remaining display.
on November 3, 2016
this product did work a few times, but then gave up. after using it less than 15 times it would accept a CD, but not play it. i thought is was about the CD, so I switched with others and the same thing happened, with commercial CDs as well as self-burned CDs. customer service in Amazon was not very helpful and left me alone with the situation. they referred me to the manufacturer, who referred me to a local repair shop, which is 1 hour away from me. all in all, a frustrating experience, with the CD player as well as with Amazon, even though we are Prime Customers....
on November 26, 2013
I was skeptical about ordering this item after reading the mixed reviews. Some were really negative while others were highly positive. I took a chance and it came rather quickly. When I first got it, I tried playing a commercial audio CD and it sounded good. I tried playing a home made CD encoded with mp3 files and it played them hesitantly with plenty of skipping. I tried making an new Cd with only a few Mp3 files on it and got the same result. So I switched back to regular audio Cd's. After playing about 2 more CD's the player would not recognize the CD anymore. It just said "No disc" on the display. Thanks to the great return policy of Amazon I printed up a return label put it on the box and shipped it back to Amazon for s full refund.