TEMPer USB Thermometer w/ Alerts
|Price:||$20.57 + $2.48 shipping|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- USB reads the temperature, included software records and graphs it!
- Output logged data to text or spreadsheet files
- Package includes: 1 x USB Thermometer, 1 x Driver CD, 1 x USB male to female cable
- Software compatible with Windows 2K/XP/Vista 32 only!
- Can be set for Fahrenheit or Celsius
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
1) If you attempt to measure a temperature slightly above 37 C, it will get "stuck" at 37.00 C, which is a very suspicious property. Only if the temperature exceeds 39 C will it get "unstuck", and produce a higher temperature reading. The curve plotted by the nice software bundled with the device makes this "bug" obvious.
2) It has an obvious hysteresis: the temperature reading in the same room depends on the starting temperature of the device (if you pre-heat it or pre-cool it, the final reading is different, after a reasonable equilibration time). The hysteresis is more than 2.0 C, which is unacceptable.
3) It significantly over-estimates the ambient temperature, probably due to the thermal coupling with the computer.
On the plus side, I can only say that I love the software bundled with it, with curve plotting etc. I only wish the thermometer itself was accurate to at least 1.0 F (0.56 C), which is all I needed.
Other similar products I have looked at over the years, have cost at least $200. The misers I worked for, would not go for that.
I was thrilled to see this device at this price. I immediately ordered two without hesitation. The included software works, but it is not the greatest. I used third party software called UTAC. (USB TEMPer Advanced Control) UTAC sets up a nice little web server that displays a nice graph of the current temperature. Very nice. It also allows configuring low and high temperature thresholds with automatic e-mail alerts. Even better! No worries about temperature. I will receive automated temperature alerts now.
This device + UTAC = Great capability at a great price.
A welcome addition to our server room. No complaints.
On the downside, on comparing the performance of two TEMPers I found that they deviated by about 1 degree celcius, so you might want to calibrate TEMPer against a more accurate thermometer (possible in UTAC). While TEMPer might be good for monitoring server room temperatures, if you want to monitor freezer or external temperatures you will need TEMPerNTC which has a waterproof probe.
One problem I had was that the software didn't work at all on Windows Server 2008 R2. I purchased this product and the TEMPer unit with the external probe for two servers that I wanted to monitor. I couldn't get the supplied software or the UTAC software to work at all on the servers. I was finally able to get ThermoHID to work on both servers, although it is limited to only one sensor with the newer TEMPer units.
ThermoHID seems to work fine and has all of the features I need, plus dozens more that I don't need. It is a bit flaky, but when I used Compatibility Mode, it seems to work okay.
As for accuracy, these units do not seem to be terribly accurate. Two of them gave readings that were a few degrees different than each other, and 3-4 degrees different than another thermometer I have. Not knowing which was correct, I just used the Calibration feature in ThermoHID to have the TEMPer units match my stand alone thermometer. Since I'm measuring the room temperature for my servers, I don't need the temp readings to be 100% accurate--I just wanted the two units to read about the same temp.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Got this to use in our server room which had over heated a couple of times when the A/C had went out. Read morePublished 24 days ago by TinyT
This thermometer started out working great. I was running an experiment and submerged the thermometer, in a plastic baggie, in an ice bath while it was attached to a USB extension... Read morePublished 2 months ago by Jerkmonster
as far as temp sensors go it acceptablePublished 6 months ago by Ghost Gazette from Pennsylvania USA
Been working great for the past 6 months with no hickups nor issues with jumping temperatures.. Would buy again.Published 9 months ago by Robert
Initial testing indicates the hardware works fine, and the included software is quite bad.
This version (there are many on Amazon! Read more
The software could be better and some sort of manual should be included. I had to figure out some calculations in the software like all degrees to set alarm must be centigrade, to... Read morePublished on June 24, 2014 by Robert Gonzales