Top critical review
8 people found this helpful
Customizable and pretty, but SLOW and has too many useless features.
on September 30, 2005
1. Customizable menu and home screen. You can choose what menu items the soft keys shortcut to, and make "menu" + "[number]" shortcuts to other submenu/specific things.
2. It *feels* sturdy (because of the aluminum casing), but I don't know if it actually is. I haven't dropped it yet to find out.
3. I GUESS the mini external screen is useful since it shows the time, battery, signal, caller ID, and whether you have any new text messages.
4. You can directly adjust the volume with special buttons on the side of the phone withouth having to go through the menus.
5. Buttons are pretty easy to press.
1. SLOW SLOW SLOW interface. I can't type text messages at the same fast speed I used on my old Nokia 3390 because the letters don't even show up on the screen fast enough to keep up with my fingers. And the screen takes 1/4 - 1/2 second to light up when you open the phone.
2. Screen is brighter for my left than for my right. (If you close one eye at a time while looking at the screen normally, you'll see the difference.) This makes it so that it feels like I'm looking through 3-D glasses or something when I'm just looking at the screen. This might be less annoying for other people than it is for me though.
3. Missed Call Log does not list each missed call! If someone called you 10 times, it only says when the last time was. This might be a problem if you get 10 missed calls from 2 people. Who called 9 times and who called once?
4. Mini external screen is pretty pointless. Doesn't even show the date.
5. Somewhat overcomplicated menu hierarchy.
6. With the T9 text predictor, if you choose the wrong word but don't notice and keep typing, you can't go back and change the whole word; you have to delete the whole thing and type it all again.
7. Ringtone compose is pretty dumb. Doesn't use normal musical durations.
8. The "MotoMixer" is the most pointless feature ever, unless you feel the need to be able to mix techno beatz on your cell phone.
9. Can't get the backlight (and thus the screen) to stay on/visible for more than 60 seconds.
I would say DO get this phone if:
1. You want your friends to ooh and ahh at your new phone
2. You want to be able to mix techno beatz on your phone
3. You haven't been able to find another phone that'll let you customize the main screen buttons to your liking.
and DON'T get this phone if:
1. You're picky about speed
2. You want a detailed missed call list
3. You're picky about the eye-to-eye screen brightness discrepancy thing.