Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on August 26, 2009
I took a chance on this book because I enjoyed the better children's comic book stories from the 1940s and 1950s that I had seen over the years. I also trusted the editor Art Spiegelman to edit a quality book.

I'm glad I bought this book - because it is a wonderful, high quality book with excellent story and art content. At about 11 1/2 inches by 9 1/2 inches and over 350 pages, it's a great value at the $40 suggested retail price. At Amazon's discounted price, it's a super bargain!

The stories are mainly 1940s through the 1950s, with one story as early as 1939 and another as late as 1965. I like the five different chapters containing the different type of children's stories - stories about kids, funny animals, fantasy, storytime, and weird & wacky.

There were several stories that I recognized that are among my favorites - such as a Fox and the Crow story titled "The Great Chiseler" from 1951, Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge stories, and the comic book story of the UPA cartoon "Gerald McBoing Boing", which translates well to paper.

I also enjoyed discovering many stories I had never read before - which was fun for me because I had read many such stories over the years.

The large pages and full color will make this book a treat for any child - no matter what age you are. I am 60 years old but I would have loved this book back in my early childhood and all the years in between.
33 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 26, 2013
I bought this to read and enjoy with my children,though I do find some of it's content at little mature for young children.
This book has great color pictures and they are nice sized for "picture reading".

My sons enjoy reading and looking at this book with me. It's nice to have comics that are more geared towards the younger ones. They both like the fact that they have their own comic book like Mama and Daddy. :)

I'd suggest that you read through the book with your young children,since it does contain some mature (Mature,as in too old for their age to understand,but an adult would.)content that they aren't able to grasp yet. ( you might want to picture read or skip a few pages here and there). I may be more careful than some in this aspect.

This contains mostly Older comics and comic strips from a long time ago up until more recent years (Dennis the Menace,Family Circus,The Archies,Disney's cartoon comic strips,ect.) but it doesn't contain anything from now as in recent.

I think even adults would find this collection quite interesting and fun to read as well as to add to their bookshelf with their other comic books.
on November 19, 2016
An extremely varied and entertaining work, this includes some of the best of classic series such as Little Lulu and Donald Duck, plus a good many works with which I was not already familiar. I bought this book as I had been continually checking it out of the library to use when tutoring Kindergartners and First Graders in reading. I like the stories, and they love them.
on November 20, 2013
I have bought a copy for a kid's friend for his 6th birthday and he loves it. He spent a lot of time flipping through the pages looking at pictures, and now that he can read quickly and all by himself, he loves it even more. The quality was better than I expected, though being a long time graphic novel reader, I can see how the print quality could improve. However, the kid can't tell the difference (yet) and is very happy with the product. For that alone, it's worth a 5 star rating.
on May 24, 2017
Simply loved it !! Fantastic art and stories for all ages !! Highly recommended !!
on January 2, 2010
This oversized book reprints children's comic books from the 1940s and 1950s. Of course, nearly all comic books of the time period were aimed at children, but in this case it means comic books that are appropriate for the very youngest children. Almost all of the comics here could be classified as "humor" comics. There are many classic stories featuring well known characters like Donald Duck, Little Lulu and Dennis the Menace. But the real find is great stories featuring obscure characters like Intellectual Amos, Nutsy Squirrel, Supermouse and Burp the Twerp. This book puts the "treasure" in "treasury".
on November 25, 2016
Grandkids fascinated with this book.
on October 15, 2009
This is an awesome collecton of some of the nicest comics that one would have read and relished as a little kid.

First of all the book is very well put together physically.

* The size simply stuns you!... humongous book
* Stacked with page after...page after..page of full color comics
* Printed in an amazingly thick matt (non-glossy, non-shiny) paper
* Brings out the vividness of the pen/brush art and the true colors
* The soft off-white page color makes them as they appeared in the originals
* The binding is perfect, nice to grab and handle.
* There is enough margin space, and the author/story name is printed along

Other publishers should take a note from this book. The glossy/shiny papers that we have suddenly become fixated with, ruins the art.

This lovely collection includes comics from the 40/50s of
* Pogo
* Fox and Crow
* Captain Marvel

to name a few.

Each character is present in one,two or three stories max, and hence makes a nice mix of all the nice stories.

There are 67 stories in total grouped into five categories,
* Hey, Kids
* Funny Animals
* Fantasyland
* Story Time
* Wacky & Weird

This is a must for the oldtimers who want to get back in time to catch up on some of their best times, and this is awesome for newcomer kids(as well as adults ofcourse) to get introduced to some of the nice stories and comics of a simple, innocent and happy era.

Kudos to the editors and the publisher. we want to see more of these.

You can't go wrong with this one, that too with the steep discounted price!
11 comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 9, 2010
My adult son loved this book as he is a fan of classics and a fan of comics. This is like a history book of all those comics from the early days when everyone was buying them or reading them in the newspaper, maybe in the 40's and 50's.
on February 12, 2014
An almost perfect collection of the type of comics we read as kids. 1940-1955. Should be lot's more they can work with.