Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Weekly One ft Nina Nesbitt PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 349 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 403 reviews
on April 18, 2017
I need an always-on battery-capable cellular ethernet solution for updating equipment in field situations where the customer may or may not have internet service. The TP-Link options seem slightly outdated and don't seem to support my Verizon Novatel MiFi 6620L. I ended up going with the more expensive PepLink. The $50 Netgear wifi extender works fine, but it is a plug-in and I really wanted something with low voltage input where I could connect to a battery. The Netgear cellular router would seem ideal as well, but apparently not fully compatible with Verizon LTE. If your modem is on the list, the TP-Link is probably ok.
on June 10, 2017
My cellular provider is not listed as supported, and TP-Link said my modem was not supported by any of their products, but I bought the device anyway since it is listed as being able to be flashed to OpenWRT and thought perhaps I could get it to work with that. The price was low enough, it was worth a try. It turns out, it works out of the box. The firmware on it was 2 years old and even that worked. The newest works fine too. My provider is US Cellular and my modem is a UML397/E398. I chose "t-mobile" as it had the correct dial string, then used the advanced tickbox to change the APN to usccinternet and remove the username and password. Total success! Beautiful little device. Wish it had little rubber feet to stick on though.
on August 17, 2014
I was looking for a way to have mobile Internet access that could accommodate myself and my three boys. My boys are getting older and with that comes all of today's gadgets that need an Internet ap. I wasn't about to get tablets each with their own data plans cause frankly they are too little and irresponsible. And with today's society afternoons are filled with after school activities and other academic obligations that I have to keep my self mobile and less time at home. So my delima......doing homework and my job without being home having Internet access when I am. I currently have Att with mobile hotspot but i have found in my trials that it becomes unreliable and can't support many devices. Therefore i came across the tp link mr3040. It's a mobile hotspot and router with a rechargeable battery for complete mobility. For my purpose I use a T-Mobile jet 2.0. I went with t-mobile cause my plans includes 3gb of lte data then throttles down to 2g for unlimited. So I never worry about overages. The tp link 3g/4G router is easy to set up. It's Web interface is like most routers and has the usual settings. The difference? Well the tp link has the ability to act like a normal router which needs a Wan connection for Internet. It can also act like a ap bridge for a wired to wireless connection. In addition to acting like a 4g/3g router with a compatible USB dongle. All with a flick of a switch on the device. The tp link router can either be connected wireless or wired by ethernet. I configured my tp link with my t-mobile USB dongle connected to a power inverter that is used in my car. So in essence I made my car into a mobile hotspot. The tp link wasn't really meant for this configuration of being in a car therefore the wireless radio doesn't have enough range so I used the ethernet port and connected it to a netgear wireless router to boost the range. Now I have enough coverage to sit outside near by my vehicle and have Internet access for my self an my boys. It has made my life so much easier cause everything you need for work or school is on the web. And on road trips it's so much fun for my boys. And when I need to be far from my car I unplug the tp link and take it with me.
on July 19, 2016
This portable router has saved me from the perils of not having WiFi Hotspot to use while on vacation. The MR-3040 router you see before you has a removable, rechargeable battery and can be powered while charging. I have bought two and they are still working great, I use one for a Library box, ( it allows you to share files that you have purchased with others using wifi ).

You get some dedicated switches on the sides for power and for the 3 different modes ( AP, 3G/4G, Wisp)
This is something I would definitely reccomend for the person who likes to travel a lot or someone who just wants their own portable router in case of emergencies.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on August 16, 2015
You know, I tried to configure this as an AP and nothing I did made it work. The hotel I stay at most often has a super fast (30 down 5 up) wired connection in the room BUT only lets ONE mac address per port (MAC Address sticky). I connected my laptop to it via Ethernet cable to log in then cloned my laptop's Ethernet port's MAC address to the MR3040 and connected it to the port with the same ethernet cable it as per instructions. no joy on the AP.

I tried using it as a wisp router with the hotel's WiFi network...again no joy. Ultimately I went to a local Walmart and purchased a $30 router and flashed it with DD-WRT and made that an AP with 100% success.

I wouldn't consider this a solution for turning a hotel's wired network into your own personal wireless access point.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 3, 2016
Love this thing for wireless live-view with my Nikon. I've tried the eye-fi, considered the Camranger, and then discovered this. I set it up via the instructions at the link below, low and behold I can control and live-view my Nikon D5100 wirelessly from my laptop!! I run a photobooth for events at my daughter's school and realized that if the kids can see their pics right away it attracts a huge crowd of little people; eventually the adults make their way over too and ask for my business card -exactly what I was hoping would happen.

[...]
The downloading and setup were a little intimidating at first, but once I followed the instructions step-by-step it worked as described. Only exception being the name of the wireless network was something else (instead of "DSLRController", it was named "DDServerAP").

Not sure how long this thing will last or hold up over time, but initially I am extremely impressed especially at this price point.
on April 7, 2017
I purchased this for field service work, it seemed to be ideal for my needs.The one time I used it, it worked great. About three weeks later I went to use it again, and its dead Jim. Its fully charged, and the power light does come on when the unit is powered on. There is no SSID being broadcast, and connecting via an ethernet cable doesn't even register that its plugged in. Tried to reset to default, same results unfortunately.
on March 23, 2015
I bought the TP-LINK TL-MR3040 portable wireless router solely to set up a PIRATE BOX. I don't know if anyone here has heard of the pirate box or purchased one of these for the sole purpose of setting up a Pirate Box, but I highly recommend it!

This little portable router is the perfect size to take it on the go anywhere. Once I set up a Pirate Box web portal on the TP-Link wireless router I took it over to the DMV, I knew I would be stuck there for most likely half of the day waiting so I figured it would be the perfect place to test the battery out on the device and see how well it worked. I got a solid four hours of this router before it died on me. I think that is pretty sufficient. It doesn't take long for it to charge either, and the lights on the front of it are easy to read and will let you know when the juice is running out. Just for kicks I bought one of those Jacky brand portable charges which helps keep the the TP-Link TL-MR3040 charged for most of the day.

If you are looking for a small portable wireless router, that as a sufficient standalone battery life I highly recommend this. It's also a fun project for do it yourself stuff like creating a Share Freely Pirate Box. TP-Link always makes solid quality products and this little wireless router is very high quality, and durable. It comes with everything you need right out of the box to get it plugged in charging and set up.
on November 30, 2013
If you intend to use this product as a 3G/4G router, stop reading this review.

For Android users, loading this router with OpenWRT with ddserver installed (do a Web search for "DSLR Dashboard and MR3040"), this makes an excellent choice for remotely controlling a DSLR camera (I use it with a Nikon D5100). Don't be fooled by the "CamRanger"; if you're an Android user, you don't need it (notice how much it resembles this router; that's because it IS this router, but loaded with proprietary firmware).

Cost for an Android user to remote control Nikon (and some Canon) DSLRs? <$40

Cost for an iOS user? $299.99 (using the "CamRanger," since it's the only option at this time).
on June 8, 2016
Actually I really like this produce. I purchased it to be able to share information with groups during workshops. Last September I moved to Cameroon West Africa to work with CABTAL. This router was working well for the first 30 or 40 hours, then it suddenly stopped. I had left it plugged into my laptop over night arrived the next morning for the opening presentation of a translation workshop and it would not power on.

Even though it is been only ten months since its purchase, I am now a half-a-world away without a functioning router. Mighty plans gone astray.

I continued tinkering with the unit and believe I discovered the problem and now all is well. It is working good as new. Still happy with this unit.