Amazon.com: Customer Reviews:
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

• Customer Reviews

on December 31, 2013
Time warner was charging us $10 in wifi fees and modem rental fee every month( wifi fee???..they are nuts) they were providing a cable modem with built in wifi but range was so short, i had to invest in couple of repeaters just to get wifi on second level.
I purchased ARRIS / Motorola SB6121 for cable modem, and bought this router for wifi. For the price i was not expecting anything solid but so many positive reviews made me go ahead with this purchase.
I am glad i bought this router as not even without the repeater i have strong signal not only in second floor but also the attic in the third floor gets strong wifi bars.
This is a solid wifi router.
99 comments| 799 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2015
I purchased this router a couple of months ago. It's a good router, generally. I like the GUI when accessing the router - it is simple, clean, and easy to maneuver. I have a desktop PC hardwired into the router and have no problems there. What I do have problems with, however, is the WiFi. I don't know about others, but the WiFi is terrible for my device. I've switched channels, tried moving the router, etc. etc. and nothing. When I am in the SAME ROOM as the router, even, I have trouble simply connecting to the wireless. When my device finally does connect, browsing is intermittent and speeds are terrible. And even then, it keeps kicking me off of the network.
review image
77 comments| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2014
Stopped working after 3 months. It started out fine, but then the internet connection became spotty after 2 months. At 3 months it is literally unusable.
11 comment| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2014
Absolutely the worst router I've ever owned. This is a v9 model, so I suppose that the good reviews are for the v8 version that had a better switching circuit.

I have 50Mbps service with my ISP and when I connect directly to my modem I see that speed consistently. When I go through this router with a wired connection I can only get 20 Mbps with no other devices connected. With a wireless connection I only see 15Mbps.

I guess I may be expecting too much from a $20 router, but it should still meet it's rated speeds.
on October 3, 2014
CAUTION: stock/factory firmware is vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks. The default router admin login page worked briefly, then changed the URL to a page that looked like the legitimate router, but said "this domain name is for sale." I strongly recommend against purchasing this router, even though it is cheap. Do yourself a favor and Google "TP-Link man in the middle attack."
44 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 2, 2014
This item worked well for roughly two months. At that point it just started dropping the connection very frequently. So frequently sometimes that I can't even watch a 3-5minute video without having to disable/enable my connection a couple times. I tried every suggestion online to fix the issue and none of them worked.
I just ordered a new router, from a different manufacturer, to replace this. Unfortunately I'm past the return date and this router will be going in the garbage.

I guess you get what you pay for. I shouldn't have expected much for <$20. I had my Linksys WRT-54G for many many years and never had an issue. I finally wanted to upgrade to an N router and went with TP-Link. Jokes on me...

On another note, I also ordered the TP-LINK pocket router and had an even worse experience. This proves to me their products are no good and solidified my decision to never buy anything from them again.
1111 comments| 139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2015
I bought one of these routers because it was cheap and it had 4.5 stars out of ~3,500 reviews. Surely I couldn't be unlucky enough to get one of the few bad units, right? Wrong. After less than a month, I am having to restart the router multiple times a day because wifi internet connectivity completely drops out. I have been emailing customer support almost daily after trying all their suggestions (most of which are tactics to throttle the minor usage of bandwidth in my small 2br apartment, not actual fixes for the problem). Customer service takes about 2 days on average to respond, which is a long time when your internet isn't stable enough to upload/download files because the connection keeps dropping out on you.

I understand that no manufacturing process is perfect and there are bound to be defective units, but a good company handles those situations with care and does all they can to keep their customers happy with a working product. Definitely can't say that TP-Link has done that. Going to give them one more chance to either replace my unit or figure out some way to make it work and I am jumping ship for another brand in the hope that, if the router I get from them fails, they will at least pretend to want to fix the problem.

Aaand the cherry on top of this review is that, on the first attempt I get the error message "Sorry, we've experienced a problem. Please submit your review again". Just had to restart the router again. Thanks, TP-Link.
66 comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2014
The reviews you are reading are most likely not for the product you are looking at [or maybe they are, see edit2]. At least 3 different products have had their reviews all dumped together here, and there are multiple versions of each of those 3 different products. Each of those products has different chipsets, CPUs, flash chips and RAM, and even between version 8 and version 9 of one the N300 2T2R they used an entirely different brands of CPU, chipset, etc.

Be sure to verify you are reading a review of the EXACT model you are looking at. I just bought a N300 2T2R hoping to upgrade it to dd-wrt, but it is v9 and dd-wrt only supports N300 2T2R (TL-WR841N) v8.

Edit: v9 may be supported now?

When I wrote this review there was no support and no plans to support TL-WR841N v9, and the "reason" was v9 was a "China-only model," which it clearly is not. Since then several commenters have posted that support has been added and it is (partially?) working for them. However, when I go to [...]and a search for TL-WR841N version 9 support doesn't come up. Personally, I returned this unit and bought another, and then turned a EeeBook into a router when I got impatient waiting for it to arrive, so I can't comment from personal experience.

Edit 2:

Amazon may have fixed the issue with the reviews being mixed together, I'm not sure how to confirm this. It can't hurt to double check as you read reviews.

I also wanted to say that the 3 stars was due to the review mix-up and the version/hackability issue of the router I ordered. I have no other complaints, so if you are planning to use this router as-is with stock firmware consider this a 5 star review. RCN gave me one of these when I signed up for service and it's worked great. Rarely it needs rebooting, but that may be the modem's fault.
4545 comments| 1,079 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 2, 2014
This unit frequently drops the internet connection, which appears to always be fixed by resetting it or logging into the admin page (http://192.168.1.1/ for me) and pressing the "Release" button followed by the "Renew" button on the status page. Internet failures occur frequently enough that we've had times where we had to reset it 5+ times in a single hour-long viewing of a HBO Go show.

I'm hoping I just got a bad one. It's too late to return, but I'm going to order another based on reviews here, including one where someone mentions having one bad one in a large batch of these routers, where the bad one had similar issues.

UPDATE
I did order another one of these routers. Same problem. I also changed the firmware of one of them to DD-WRT, which seemed to allow it to recover on its own sometimes (not requiring a manual release/renew to start working after a couple of minutes or so), but we still had frequent dropped connections.

I borrowed an old Apple Airport Extreme wireless, which worked flawlessly with our laptops. I've since bought the more expensive TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750, which also appears to work flawlessly.
22 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 15, 2014
I have ordered two different TP-Link routers in the past 2 years. My reason? The amazon ratings were mostly 5-star, however, the set-up for the TP-Link routers is not as easy as other routers and I compared the speeds of this TP-Link TL-WR841N to another router made by Netgear that cost only $15 more--

My internet is 100mbps:

TP-Link TL-WR841N wireless speed: 10mbps
TP-Link TL-WR841N wired speeds: 30-35mbps

NetGear N750 router wireless speed: 65mbps
Netgear N750 router wired speed: 80-95mbps
55 comments| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse