Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: TRENDnet 16-Port Unmanaged Gigabit GREENnet Desktop Metal Housing Switch, TEG-S16DG
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Capacity: Gigabit (10/100/1000)|Model: 16-Port Metal|Change

on February 28, 2011
I upgraded from an 8 port Gigabit Trendnet switch to this bad boy with 16 ports. I've got 15/16 used up and it's never let me down. I can easily get transfer speeds between my two gigabit desktops of around 90-110 MB/s (using 7200RPM and SSD Hard Drives#.

All I had to do was plug in my ethernet cables, turn the power on and haven't touched it since. Reliable and fast connection for all the devices on my home network.

No fan inside, it doesn't run hot even in a wall box and it's completely silent.

LED's on the front will tell you if a device is connected and if it's Green it's connected at Gigabit and Amber if it's 10/100.

Very satisfied with the purchase and would recommend to anyone looking to venture to the Gigabit realm. FYI you will need Gigabit ethernet cards on the computers that you want to connect to the network to get Gigabit speeds #125MB/s vs 12.5MB/s on 10/100# so don't expect your 3-4 year old Desktop to connect at gigabit speeds. But don't fret, gigabit NIC's are pretty cheap, I got this low profile #for slim computers# Dynex - Gigabit PCI Desktop Adapter DX-PCIGB used for about $6 on Amazon #3rd party seller#, but you can just search "Gigabit ethernet card" and find them new for around $10-$15 new with full size bracket# Make sure it says Gigabit or 10/100/1000 in the title though as Gigabit is for some reason a key word on some 10/100 cards#

If you're wondering what you'll gain from going gigabit, here's a brief overview of bits and Bytes and 10/100 vs 10/100/1000 #gigabit#:

MB = Mega Bytes, Mb = Mega Bits. 8 bits in 1 Byte

You have a 100 MB file. If you transfer at 100 Mb/s it will download in 12.5 seconds.

If you have a 100 MB file and you transfer it at 100 MB/s, it will transfer in 1 second.

If your Internet provider says you can download at speeds up to 8 Mb/s. That means you can download 1 MB in 1 second.

If your Internet provider says you can download at speeds up to 16 Mb/s. That means you can download 2 MB in 1 second.

Transfer speed on a 10/100 router would be up to 12.5 MB/s.

Transfer speed on a 10/100/1000 #gigabit# router would be up to 125 MB/s.

Say you have a DVD rip that is 2.5GB, on a hard wire connection between 2 gigabit computers it would take roughly 20 seconds to transfer. On a 10/100 connection it would take about 3 minutes and 20 seconds.

Say you have a 1080p MKV video file that is 32GB, on a hard wire connection between 2 gigabit computers it would take roughly 4 minutes and 16 seconds to transfer. On a 10/100 connection it would take about 42 minutes and 40 seconds.

Note: These are theoretical speeds and much depends on your processing speed and also your hard drive speed.

If you have any questions just comment, I get automatic e-mail notifications on comments and will answer questions as quickly as possible.

--------------------------------------------

Update 03/01/2012:

It's been a year now since it's been installed and left in the wall. Never had an issue with it this whole time, even with power outages, lighting strikes #killed my Xbox#, it has been rock solid. Still highly recommended.

--------------------------------------------

Update 04/13/2013:

Another year and still no issues. I took it out of the wall when I moved and now it's located on a shelf in my laundry room which can get quite humid when the dryer runs and still running like a champ.
3030 comments| 162 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 15, 2012
After upgrading our broadband router to a model featuring 4 gigabit LAN ports, we decided to upgrade the rest of the network to get the performance benefits of gigabit wired ethernet.

I have an extensive wired network throughout the house, but with the 4 ports on the switch, and 16 ports here, minus 2 for connecting them, that leaves me with 18 available gigabit ports. The switch has 32 GBPS bandwidth across its bus, so no problems squeezing data through the switch itself, the link, and status lights give you a myriad of diagnostic information, and the legend on the front panel clearly explains the meaning of that diagnostic information from the lights... Versatile mounting options include desktop, rack, and with a little creativity to a mount board.

Unlike my old Netgear 10/100 ethernet switch, with a terribly noisy fan, this thing is nearly silent in operation (On or off I can't hear it, and my sound meter app can't detect anything...).

The Green Net technology is a huge bonus to even if you only hug trees to figure out how many board feet are in them. You see nobody likes spending too much money on energy, and the ability for this to automatically power the ports off seems like it would help. Time will tell how reliable that is though.

The only real problem I have with this switch, and several other folks have mentioned it as well, is the lack of the rack mounting tabs / ears / brackets whatever you want to call them. They really ought to be included. But for a top quality switch at the price of this unit. The lack of the brackets can be easily overlooked...

One thing that DOES need to be mentioned. This is an unmanaged switch. I have seen reviews here and there complaining about the lack of configuration options in unmanaged switches. That is kind of the def9inition of unmanaged after all isn't it? If you need to hard set your speed negotiation / packet sizes etc... do so with your NIC driver / module, or bump up to a layer2 manged switch (at about 3x the cost of an un managed model...)
review image review image
on September 14, 2011
Bought this to replace an old fast ethernet switch that was at least 10 years old. We have about 20 computers on a work domain who primary deal with excel and quickbooks files. i also bought a few of the trendnet $12 gigabit pci nic cards for our older computers to get the better speed offered by this.

I wasn't expecting the results we received, it out performed my expectations. Quickbooks files (over 200MBs) open instantly and there is no hesitation at all opening or saving excel files. Now the bottleneck for our work network is our hard drives. Normal speeds across the network are about 65 - 70MB/s when transferring a large file. Max would be about 100MB/s if the hard drives could keep up. Your result may vary depending on # of active computers and other factors.

I liked this so much I purchased the 8 port version for my home network, it works just as good and no hiccups at all streaming large files to my ps3 (wired) through the PS3 media server or to a boxee box through a shared network drive.

Best part is probably color coded connection lights on the front of it. I was able to identify which computers were not connection at gigabit speeds without going to each one to check the connection. Green for gigabit, orange for fast ethernet, nothing for no connection. simple and easy. turns out not just some nic's needed replaced but also some wires needed to be upgraded from cat5 to cat5e. Remember you'll need a cat5e cable or better to get the gigabit speeds. Also note a lot of routers provided by internet providers (verizon, comcast, ect..) are only fast ethernet. Make sure all your computers are plugged into this switch and then connect one port to you router. that connection will only be up to 100Mb/s (orange) but unless your internet connection is better than that it will not matter.
on January 3, 2012
In mid-November I ordered one of these for a small-office client to replace a Linksys/Cisco SRW2008 which the office had outgrown. I chose the TEG-S16Dg based on the fact that the office didn't need a managed switch, its excellent price-per-port when compared to other unmanaged switches, and its consistently-positive reviews both here and elsewhere. In this office there are 10 users backed by a Real Server, with consistent high-bandwidth utilization (lots of large document and image manipulation and cataloging). Given that the switch is unmanaged, installation is indeed plug-and-play. My observations were that the performance was on-par with the Cisco, and there were no issues with either Auto or hard-coding speed and duplex on the server, network peripherals, and client machines. All in all, a great box at a great price.

And then the problem started.

One month after installation, after running 24x7 with no issues, the switch just stopped forwarding between certain ports. The links didn't actually go down and there were no other indications of a failure, but random devices just couldn't connect any longer to random other devices. Bounce the switch and all was well for about 10 minutes, and then the problem started again. I say "random" above because there didn't seem to be any consistency about what ports would be affected, except in the case of the server - in all cases, that port would stop forwarding (whichever port it happened to be - I did try a number of different ports) - but otherwise, random devices among all 16 ports would be affected (not even in a particular port bank, which is a common failure mode), and the next failure after reboot would affect different ports, which ports would remain affected until the next boot. An investigation of the server revealed no warnings or issues, and I concluded with changing both the NIC and the cables just for giggles. No effect - same problem.

I order from Amazon primarily because of Prime, their wonderful return policy, and excellent support reps. I received a same-model replacement right away, installed it, sent the bad one back, and, after a couple weeks of solid performance, chalked it up to a one-off bad unit. No such luck. The exact same issue has now occurred with the new unit.

I called TrendNet support. They claim no knowledge or reports of this issue, and given that the switch is unmanaged, there's no user-serviceable action that can be taken, such as a firmware upgrade. Googling also offers no reports of such a problem.

Given that lack of reports, and given the unlikelihood that I've received two bad switches with identical failure modes, my conclusion is that there is a design flaw in the product that can't handle some event that's happening in this environment (though I can correlate no such event with these failures), which Trend missed in their design and QA.

Since this is a consumer- or small-business oriented switch, it's unlikely that most customers will be pushing as much data through it as consistently as my client's environment, so perhaps that's a contributor. Otherwise, the only thing that stands out is Trend's "GREENnet" technology which reduces power utilization per port based primarily on cable length - perhaps there's something unusual in that technology that's having trouble either with my cables (all Cat6 500Mhz both for endpoints and for premise-punchdown with a maximum switch-to-client distance of 12 meters through two punchdowns, and short-run Cat6 500Mhz direct cabling to the server and other gear in the IDF closet itself), some other obscure item like MTU, a problem with heat (there is no dedicated AC in the IDF but the temperature remains constant at about 80F, which should be perfectly fine) or some combination of the above. Either way, given that everything in my architecture is designed correctly, was working perfectly with the SRW2008 24x7 for over a year, and, again, has worked perfectly with each of these Trend switches - until they die in this decidedly-odd fashion - I must conclude that there is a design flaw. While it's possible that I received a pair of bad switches (maybe there was an issue with one batch in manufacturing), TrendNet hasn't acknowledged such an issue. I'm certainly not going to waste any more time trying a third one of these.

For now, I've placed the SRW2008 back in service, chained to a dumb 10/100 switch for a few low-bandwidth endpoints, until I decide on a replacement device. Given Trend's overall-excellent reputation and reviews, I'm willing to give them another chance, but only with a device with a different architecture. The main contender right now is their TEG-160WS, which is managed, does NOT have GREENnet, and is only about $50 more. I'll write an update if I do go with that unit.

*2/13/12 Update: I ended up replacing the TEG-S16Dg with the latest "big brother" of the SRW2008, the Cisco Sg 200-18 18-PORT Gigabit. Despite the much higher price of admission, I wanted the management and monitoring capability (which is absurdly extensive given the target audience of small businesses) and the Cisco reliability to which I'm accustomed from my large datacenter implementations. For once, it seems like a manufacturer managed to integrate an acquisition - Linksys in this case - very well; while this product's origins were as a high-end Linksys and ended up as a low-end Cisco, the throughput, reliability (so far), configuration options, and other various bells and whistles make this switch a relative bargain. Note that it too offers the "green ethernet" option (I hadn't been aware of this initiative and how widespread it's become), but I've disabled it for now (+1 for highly-configurable managed switches); if the switch survives through the end of the month I'll turn it on to see what happens - I haven't yet discounted that there might be something unusual happening in the environment with an IP phone or desktop dumb switch that's causing the low-power / cable length detection to go wonky.

*6/26/12 Update: Except for configuration-change-necessitated reboots, the Cisco has been running 24x7 since I installed it with zero issues. So, unless Trend has finally acknowledged and/or fixed their design flaw, skip this and buy the Cisco.
1919 comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2013
I bought this to replace my TEG-S80G and I feel TrendNet really skimped out on a few features with this newer model.

Pros:
-256K Memory Buffer (The TEG-S80G has 128k)
-Smaller case design
-Energy Efficient

Cons:
-The LED Link indicator lights to not tell you what the link speed is of the connection. They advertise "Diagnostic LEDS" and short of reading whether the device is powered or a port connected/active, there is no other diagnostic function. This is a HUGE step backwards from the TEG-S80G which would tell you if the connection link was 10/100/1000 Mbs.
-No wall mount anchors on the underside of this device unlike the TEG-S80G.
-Plastic cable connectors on the rear. The TEG-S80G at least had them wrapped in metal.
-Poor documentation included. Not much in regards to specifications. In fact, no mention of the buffer memory size at all. I had to go to their website to confirm the specifications of the device.

All in all, it's a switch and it works so I can't really knock too many stars down for that but it is definitely lacking on features that other unmanaged switches have. Coming from a TEG-S80G which is its predecessor, I can't help but feel they cheated on this device just for the 256K buffer memory. Time will tell if my network actually benefits from this increase in buffer memory but at least it can't hurt it.
66 comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 21, 2011
I replaced a similar gigabit switch because of its irritating fan. The Trendnet switch is fan-less and completely silent. Nevertheless, its metal chassis is cool to the touch in operation and draws very little current.

It's only been in operation for a couple of months so its longevity is an open question.

6-15-2014 Update: still running just fine.
on September 19, 2011
This unit fixed years of unresolved issues that drove me crazy. Best birthday gift I ever bought for my wife to give to me.

I have a demanding family home network that involves a combination of wired and wireless networked devices. I am running a Windows Server, a Network Attached Storage (NAS), 3 Multimedia (Movie)Streaming PCs, 3 Desktop PCs, 1 Laptop, 4 Netbooks, 2 DirecTV DVRs, 2 Gaming Consoles, 2 network attached Blu-ray Players, a VOIP (Internet) Telephone System, and 5 DROID X Cell Phones using Wi-Fi.

All my equipment was fairly new. I had what appeared to be a simple and clean setup with a cable modem going to a simple 4 port wireless combo router. Attached to the router was a VOIP router and then two 5-port 10/100 speed switches that carried Ethernet to 3 other rooms. In each room is another 5-port 10/100 speed switch which connects to a combination of Multimedia PCs, DirecTV DVRs, Blu-ray Players and Gaming consoles.

My High-speed Internet is the best offered in my location at 50 Mb/second. But none of this matters if your infrastructure is lacking. All I know is I had complaints from the kids and wife about how slow things always were. I constantly found myself restarting the cable modem and router which seemed to be a temporary fix. For years I constantly fiddle with connectivity issues, lost IPs, and choppy performance. My family finally gave up completely on trying to view the 2ND DirecTV DVR from the other room because it continually froze up.

Enough was enough. Knowing that the cable modem and router were both fairly new, I started to suspect the 10/100 switches. All appeared OK, and function checked ok, but out of frustration, I still replaced them all. The two main switches were replaced with the TRENDnet 16-Port Gigabit Switch and the three remaining 5-port 10/100 switches were each replaced with the TRENDnet 5-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Switch (model TEG-S50g).

Instantly all my issues were resolved for good. We can now flawlessly watch any DVR from another room. File transfers between PCs and the Internet are blazingly fast, and I'm finally seeing the 50 Mb/second Internet I've been paying for. Speed tests went from 20s and 30s to well over 60 Mb/second. I am one happy camper and highly recommend these devices.
on July 28, 2013
This specs for this switch indicate that it can handle multiple 1Gbit connections running full speed at once - the switch itself is rated for 16Gbit total throughput.

Installed it to make a long-run over to another TrendNet switch in my living room for my entertainment system. Running over a 100' CAT 7 cable.

Very low latency and high data throughput allows me to read data from my server systems at hard drive speeds (55 - 72 MB/sec transfer rates).

Auto-sensing ports means I don't have to worry about uplink/downlink ports or cross-over cables.

The switch runs on a 5V 1 Amp power supply, and uses that with intelligence, so it is extremely energy efficient.

The movement of data out through the three switches that are in series (the TEG-S50G in my living room, the TEG-S81G at my switch hub, the ASUS RT-AC66U) and on to my DSL modem is much better than it ever was running from my DLINK wifi Bridge going "direct" to the wireless router. I am seeing full speed transfers from my DSL connection with none of the latency that the wifi bridge introduced. The result is more dependable connections and greatly improved streaming video.

The only downside that I can site is that this model switch does not indicate connection speed on the LEDs in front. The TEG-S50G, which I also use, has separate lights for data-link and speed, so you can tell at a glance if you are only getting 100Mbit connections or 1Gbit connections.
on June 13, 2012
This is a sturdy, well-built Ethernet gigabit 24-port switch. It is about as simple as it gets, since it is unmanaged and has no settings or firmware to upgrade. Just plug it in and hook up your device cables (and router) to it. Since all the ports are auto-sensing, there is no need to worry about which ports you are connecting your router to. I like that this device has a physical off/on switch on its back and the power supply is built in. No power transformer or wall wart needed.

The switch runs very cool to the touch, even when most ports are active. I don't hear any cooling fan or other sounds from the device. The unit feels sturdy and heavy with a metal case. The LED indicator lights and ports are both on the front, which is convenient. You can easily tell the status and speed of each port by reading the LEDs.

The unit can be rack-mounted if needed. I have this one sitting on a shelf. It does come with press-on rubber feet if you don't want to rack-mount the device.

I used this device to replace two 8-port gigabit switches from D-Link. No complaints so far. Works perfectly and the price was great! The energy-saving features are an added bonus.
on December 3, 2014
RUN THE OTHER WAY!

I purchased this unit for a small office environment based on Amazon reviews. Less than two months in service, it had three ports die, and two others start behaving weirdly. Thinking that a cross-shipped replacement would be a trivial matter, I submitted an RMA request.

HOW WRONG I WAS! It's been almost a month, and I STILL do not have a return authorization. The rep assigned to my case, "Albert M.", doesn't answer questions promptly -- if at all -- and appears to be unable to post more than one response per day to the ticket, even if I reply to a posting from him within FIVE MINUTES of his post. Truly the worst RMA service I ever experienced on a networking product.

I got sick of waiting for Albert to help me get my network running, and purchased a TP-Link switch to replace this dog. So far, so good on the replacement, but TRENDnet is still on the hook for getting me warranty service for this pile of garbage.