Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 102 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 113 reviews
on December 1, 2012
Obtaining this TrendNet camera is my first foray into a home security camera and so far it has been pretty impressive -- it does a lot for the price. While I haven't had it for long, here are my initial thoughts:

**PROS**

-PoE. I went with PoE (TV-IP672PI) over WiFi because a) either way you will need a cable for power and b) if part of the purpose of the cam is for security, I'd rather have a cable over a WiFi signal "hanging out there" for some bored hacker to try and tap into, even if it is encrypted. Since I only have this one camera for now, I am using the TRENDnet Power Over Ethernet (PoE) Injector TPE-103I which is working out perfectly.

-Night vision. The NV on this camera is working out really well and adequately covers a large living room + dining room. Keep in mind that when NV kicks in, the camera automatically switches over to black and white. When the IR LEDs are on, they will emit a dim red glow.

-PTZ. Pan, Tilt, and Zoom. It's still fun to play with PTZ on this camera and you can do it from a web browser or your mobile TrendNet SecurView Pro app. The mobile apps are a bit different for Android vs. iPhone, but both allow you do pan and tilt (zoom seems to only work on the iPhone). Note that Internet Explorer seems a bit more friendly to operating the camera's web interface as compared to Chrome or Firefox. And yeah, when remotely viewing the cam with your mobile app the video is choppy and there's a delay when you pan or tilt, but that is not surprising.

-Overall large viewing area. They call this a "megapixel" camera with 1280 x 800. Those of us familiar with marketing for camera phones and regular cameras know that more megapixels does not mean a higher quality image. While the image quality for this camera is pretty decent, it isn't superb, so what the megapixel bit means here is that you get a larger overall image for a given area. In addition to that, because the camera can pan and tilt, that just adds to the possible viewing area. Overall I find the image quality for both color and B&W modes to be perfectly acceptable.

-Realistic color. Some low-end cameras that have built-in night vision don't have an IR cut filter or leave the IR LEDs on all the time, resulting in really bad color accuracy. For example, some cameras with NV will show green objects as greyish pink. This is not the case with this camera. When it's in color/day mode, colors are more or less what you expect.

-2-way audio. This is a pretty fun feature. The camera has a built-in mic and you can hear audio from the area the camera is installed in from the mobile apps and via the web browser interface. I haven't tried hooking up external speakers yet though.

-Onboard micro SD storage. If you add a micro SD card to the camera, you don't need to leave a PC on all the time and can still have local access to videos or snapshots recorded by the camera. I confirmed that this camera supports micro SD cards with up to 32GB of capacity.

-Overall tons of features. I won't go into it all here, but I like how there's a lot of options. You can configure the camera to email you video or snapshots, you can turn off the fairly bright status LEDs, there's an external privacy button right on the camera to point it downward when you're home, etc. The more flexibility, the better (usually)!

**CONS**

-While the web configuration utility on the camera has been mostly frustration free, it seems there's a bug where the camera will stop sending video when certain options are saved and you have to reboot it to resume the video. I put in a help ticket with TrendNet to get feedback on that.

-When the camera's NV mode is set to "Auto", its threshold for switching from daytime/color mode to firing up the IR LEDs seems too small. In other words it switches over to NV mode too easily (e.g., room gets darker with passing clouds) and as far as I know, you can't adjust the threshold. You can set the NV mode to "manual" but then you have to turn it on and off via the web utility (at least there's that).

-If you want to configure DDNS (Dynamic DNS) on the camera itself, it seems you can only use DynDNS which is no longer a free service. DynDNS is not really expensive, but you should be able to put any DDNS provider you want in there; I have no idea why they would restrict that. Most modern home routers also have a DDNS option and hopefully have more DDNS provider options than this camera, so the workaround is to configure this on your router instead.

**OTHER OBSERVATIONS**

-This camera has a manual focus dial as opposed to an auto focus lens, which seems to be common as all the home security cameras with IR night vision that I researched had manual focus only. As mentioned previously, my camera is covering a fairly large room and all areas within the room have perfectly acceptable focus, therefore the lack of auto focus isn't an issue as far as I'm concerned.

-If you want to use a gmail account to send you the email alerts, you'll need to configure the following settings on the camera: smtp[dot]gmail[dot]com for the SMTP Mail Server option, port 465, and SSL-TLS for the Use SSL-TLS option. Then, if your camera has a static IP address (recommended), you'll also need to fill out the Optional Primary DNS LAN setting on the camera, otherwise the camera can't resolve the SMTP server address to an IP address. You can get the Primary DNS IP address from the device settings option of your home router.

-If you want to use the Synchronize with NTP Server option on the camera so you never have to worry about setting the time and date, you can use the IP address of your router (providing it has the NTP server option enabled -- most home routers should have this feature), or you can point the camera to a public NTP server such as pool[dot]ntp[dot]org. If you use the latter option or anything with a Fully Qualifed Domain Name (e.g., example[dot]timeserver[dot]com) you'll again need to ensure you have the Primary DNS field filled out. Again, if your camera is configured to get an IP address via DHCP (not recommended), you probably don't have to worry about this Primary DNS field.

-You can "draw" motion areas with this camera, meaning you can configure the camera to only trigger recording when it senses motion within an area you define. Right now I'm not sure my camera is adhering to my pre-defined area too well, but I'm still working with that.

-Aside from doing PTZ from the mobile apps, you can save snapshots to your phone, as well as send and receive audio.

-If you manually set the time and date on the camera or copy it from your PC, the time and date will be lost when the camera reboots or is power cycled. Best to use NTP server option to avoid this.

-Opened a help ticket with TrendNet support for a pre-sales question and got a response within 24 hours, which is promising for potential future issues.

-When you mount the night vision version of the camera to the ceiling, note that it has a smiley face :)

Overall I'm fairly pleased with this camera's performance and options. Hopefully it also proves to be durable and I'll update this review accordingly should there be any significant changes in my opinion. I would recommend this camera, especially if you only require just one, or maybe up to a few, indoor cameras.

***Update 1 - December 6, 2012

-I have now tested audio output from the camera. Connected a small, battery-powered speaker to the 3.5mm jack and used the microphone feature from my phone. There was a delay in sending audio from my phone of course, but it worked more or less as expected. Fooled the dogs, but not the wife.

-The bug I mentioned where the camera stops sending video after applying certain changes to the camera via the web interface is not yet resolved. When this issue happens there will be no video output to any browser or via the mobile apps. It's not really a deal-breaking issue by any means, more of an annoyance, but still working with TrendNet tech support to figure it out.

-While DynDNS no longer seems to offer free DDNS, no-ip[dot]com does. I'd check to make sure your router supports them though, because it's not an option on the camera itself.
1313 comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2013
This is my first IP camera. It was a bit difficult to configure on the camera itself; and the software is confusing and poorly documented. I got it running over wired network with PoE (power over Ethernet).

To help others, some of what I have learned.

First, go to the TrendNet site and get the setup wizard for the camera, the latest firmware, and the SecurView Pro software and manual. All of these were substantially more updated than what came in the box; don't even bother with the CD.

Power the camera on. Run the setup wizard and do the basic configuration; it'll help if you understand your home network and internet setup. I have a typical router which hands out IPs internally via DHCP but I chose to give the camera a static IP address so I could eventually configure access from "outside" more easily.

After you have gotten the camera configured, go to the camera in a web browser (the setup wizard gives you a link at the end). Now, update the firmware on the camera. Once that's done, you can go in through the browser again and do any other config that you like; there are extensive options. I left most of the video ones at default.

You can configure alerts directly on the camera, through the browser. For example, if motion is detected, you can have a short video e-mailed or FTPed somewhere, or a set of JPGs, or a recording made; you can do these in combination. The e-mail setup is good; if you know your e-mail service's parameters (e.g. SMTP server, port, whether to use TLS) it's dead simple and there's a good test button. I configured mine for GMail without any problems. I did not test FTP as I wanted it to alert me when motion was detected, and e-mail fit the bill. Typically I have noticed a delay of about a minute to deliver me an e-mail with video clip.

At this point, you could be done. You do not NEED the SecurView Pro software. I installed it to see what it did. It lets you monitor multiple cameras, archive video to a server or drive, and offers enhanced functionality probably more suitable to people who need to go "back in time" often and need a good client app to do that. You should install the server pieces on a computer in your location that can stay on all the time. You can install the client piece on any computer that can "talk to" the server somehow. Note that the camera itself offers the ability to store videos; I put in a 32GB micro-SD card for that purpose, so again SecurView Pro is not needed. Anyway, it's free and it's not bad, though you should invest some time to go through the manual as the software is not that obvious and the manual is usable, though not fantastic.

Video quality seems perfectly acceptable to me. Is it wonderful? No, but it's in color, it's pretty detailed, and it does what I wanted: let me know when something happens in some area. So I got what I wanted for a decent price, and I would buy this camera again. It would be nice if TrendNet made it clearer that you can run without the SecurView software, and if the setup were a little more obvious, but if you're willing to invest some time you'll get it done. I spent about two hours including understanding the SecurView software.

The camera itself is fairly chunky but has a nice look to it. It can be powered via PoE; you can buy a $20 PoE injector here if needed. I have one with a 50' CAT5e cable and that works fine, no need for a power brick where the camera is. The LEDs on the front can be turned off through the browser interface.
on November 14, 2013
TRENDnet got it mostly right with this amazing camera. I have had several IP cameras over the years and this one is the best of them by a wide margin. There is very little to complain about this camera and the firmware interface built into it. If you are already familiar with IP cameras and how they are configured, you will have no problem learning these settings in a few hours or playing with them and experimenting to see the results. If you are new to IP cameras, it will take some learning to configure but that's true of all IP cameras and some are horribly difficult to configure for newbies.

This new class of camera uses selectable video codecs and you can have up to four profiles with different resolutions and codecs in use so the viewed can select whatever profile works best for them as they are viewing from a browser. These newer codecs make a HUGE difference in the usability of this and similar cameras. With the old MJPEG (Motion JPEG) codec, you were limited to around 5 - 10 fps (frames per second) regardless of your connection speed. While this camera still supports MJPEG, you now have the choice of selecting the more highly compressed (and thus faster) H.264 and MPEG4 codecs. These newer codecs can stream video up to 30 fps! They can do it at up to 1280 x 800 resolution too! H.264 provides slighly superior video but MPEG4 is more compressed and can provide good video at lower speeds than H.264 so it's a trade-off as to which to use, depending on your upload speeds and your viewers download speeds.

Furthermore, this camera has built-in Wi-Fi 802.11n on the 2.5 GHz band, which I found fast enough in my small two story home, for the signal to reach almost anywhere in the house and provide 1280 x 800, H.264, 4 Mbps streaming video and audio. Oh and yes, of course, this camera provides two-way audio as well. I found the mic sensitive enough if set to the highest sensitivity (100) but I haven't had a chance to try the audio line out so I can send audio to the device.

The infra-red LEDs are also adequate to illuminate a completely dark room for an area between 15 and 20 feet in front of the camera, but not evenly, which I presume is typical of small cameras with LEDs built into them. You really would need a separate infra-red LED flood light if you really wanted to illuminate a larger area or if you wanted brighter video.

Lastly, I found the remote motorized panning to work very well and very quickly. There are presets you can use to pan specific areas over and over in "patrol" mode, which can be very handy if you want to use this for surveillance.

What you should be aware of with this camera:

1. This is not a professional camera and is intended for indoor use only at temperatures above 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Also obviously, it isn't a dome camera so it is vulnerable to physical attack more so than a protected camera if you are using it for surveillance.

2. It has a fixed-focus lens but I didn't find that to be a problem since it has a fairly large focus range and most people are going to use it to focus on distant objects like a room.

3. This camera does NOT have a wide-angle lens. It has a rather narrow field of view, which means it won't be the best camera to use for some applications. Because of the narrow field of view, you will have to pan the camera to get a broader area of viewable coverage. If that isn't a problem for your application, then it doesn't matter. If it is, you may be better off getting a fixed camera with the widest angle of view possible.

4. It has a built-in micro-SD card slot, but I find that not useful for surveillance, since all your important video is then on a card that is in the camera and the camera is vulnerable. It is safer to stream and record video elsewhere. For non-surveillance use, it is fine.

5. Although this camera can stream video directly to an external hard drive, if you want to stream based on motion detection or full-time whenever the camera is turned on, it MUST be an NAS network drive or a Linux Samba network drive, although the firmware incorrectly indicates it must be a Samba drive. This is probably because Samba is a protocol supported on Linux and I strongly suspect this camera is using a Linux variant as the OS (operating system). Most home users will not have an NAS network drive, although you can certainly purchase one relatively inexpensively. I have not had time to try this yet.

6. You can also record directly to any hard drive attached to the viewing computer, but only by manually clicking in the "REC" button at the BOTTOM of the web interface after you preset the folder by clicking on the Folder icon at the bottom of the web interface. The identical looking "REC" icon on the upper left side of the web interface (next to the motion detection icon) is in actuality, not a button at all but a record INDICATOR that only comes on when you record to an NAS network drive. This is confusing at first and THE MANUAL IS ACTUALLY WRONG ON THIS POINT.

7. It has a very nice feature which allows you to set up an outgoing email address that includes a ten second video and audio clip, anytime there is motion detected (actually anytime there is motion, on a schedule, or always). It worked perfectly for me and allows you to use any standard SMTP mail server with any port. I used one of my Gmail accounts for mine.

8. Lastly, the user manual is better than most I've seen with other cameras (especially the cheap no-name Chinese imports) but still lacks detailed explanations for some settings and some functionality.

9. The camera comes with TRENnetVIEWPro software (although you will have to download this updated and re-branded version from their website, since my CD-ROM has an older version). This is professional grade multi-camera monitoring and recording software that runs as an app on Windows (not sure about Macs). Be warned that I found this software to be rather confusing and difficult to configure. It has many buried settings that are difficult to find and I found the user manual that it comes with to be helpful but still not adequate to help quickly set this software up correctly. If you plan on using this software, especially with multiple cameras, I would plan on spending many hours configuring and testing it before you get it right. One of the main advantages of this software (other than being able to view multiple cameras in one interface) is that it has more flexible video recording options and can record motion and live video directly to any hard drive attached to the computer it is running on.

Overall, this is an excellent camera and well worth the street price of around $200. I was very tempted to give this a 5-star rating but held back for some relatively minor glitches in the firmware, the difficult to use TRENDnetVIEWPro software, and the less than stellar user manuals.

UPDATE:

I've had the camera running 24x7 for 7 days now and it did lock up just once. I'll have to see if this was a fluke (probably) or something that will recur. I was able to reboot it remotely (which would be critical if you weren't physically near the camera) and it recovered. By the way, this is an example where having the camera use a fixed IP address is convenient because when it rebooted I knew what the IP was. If you have it set to DHCP and it reboots, it will get a new IP from your router and you will either have to guess what the new IP is or go into your router and view the IP address assigned. I've also had it recording to a local hard drive for up to 10 hours continuously each of the 7 days with no problems at all. It very cleverly, records files in one minute chunks that are date and time stamped so its easy to see which one minute file you want to review. Lots of files but worth it. I suspect it's also more reliable to record in one minute chunks.
on October 15, 2013
This new model of Trendnet has every feature that I have been looking for in an IP camera. The only thing it lacks is auto-focus. Currently, I have 15 (TV-IP672PI) of these in a manufacturing environment (furniture) and these cameras are holding up well even with the dust in our manufacturing area. They replaced the older TV-IP600 cameras which were in place for over 3 years without a hiccup. If the 672's quality is just as good then I'll have no issues at all. I've even got 4 more on order because the managers of the manufacturing area like the picture quality so much. We'll have over 20 cameras once everything is said and done. Most of cameras are powered using TL-PoE150S injectors and we haven't had any issues with any of them.

The PC I'm using to control them is a Dell Precision T7400 (Dual Xeon X5482, 8GB, 2 x 2TB Seagate drives on a Adaptec 6405E RAID1). That PC is connected to a 55" LG 55LS4500 TV in our control room. Currently that PC runs with about 45% CPU usage with 15 cameras connected through Blue Iris and motion detection recording enabled. So far I'm happy with everything!
on October 27, 2015
I have 6 of these and 1 with IR lights. Video quality is fine. Took me forever to get them all working. If you are not computer savvy, get the newer cloud cameras, because setup can be a challenge. I have to power down and up possibly once a week - loses the signal and needs to be restarted - would be a problem if I would be out of town for a couple of weeks. I use these for exterior views from the inside of windows. Works okay during the day and at night if there are bright lights on. Easier than mounting exterior cameras, but the reflection on the glass is a problem during a certain time of day. I have pre-wires for exterior cameras, but I was too lazy to hook them up, and these are much easier.
The included software works, but the TrendNet server software uses up all of my computer resources (8 cameras) - Windows 7, i5, 2.4 ghz. I switched to Blue Iris, but that uses a lot of resources also, so now I have the Blue Iris on a mostly dedicated laptop - Windows 10, i7, 3 ghz. If you are going to have many cameras, you will need a high power processor - or get a DVR. Like the cameras for the most part - good value. PTZ works, but sometimes they move back to the home positon by themselves.
on December 8, 2014
I purchased the "N" version w/o IR. I purchased it mainly because the username/password can be bypassed and I wanted people to be able to view the camera without having to go through this process. My plan was to replace a Panasonic BL-C131A which has been running 24/7 for years without problem but only has a 640x480 resolution whereas the Trendnet was 1280x800.
So, first, the picture quality is lacking. I have some Foscam FI9831W cameras which are 1280x960 and they have "night and day" better images than the Trendnet. It's like everything is just slightly out of focus but it has a manual focus ring and I can't improve the image with it.
Others have mentioned that the software is "clunky". It is. It's slow to save each change and is poorly organized. The time on the screen can't be set to 12 hour format. One of the things I wanted to do with this camera was have it take a photo every minute and FTP it to my website so the photo on my webpage would change every minute. This photo needed to overwrite the previous photo. This is a pretty standard use for a webcam. This can't be accomplished with this camera. The Trendnet creates a new file name for each photo and creates directories for these jpg's. I wrote the Help Desk about this on Oct. 25th and my ticket was assigned to "Norman" who was supposed to work on it "...within 1-2 business days". It's been 44 days and I still haven't heard from Norman.
Unless you have a specific use for some feature on this camera I would recommend a different brand. I have since purchased another Panasonic to replace it.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on July 10, 2014
My first review I rated it 1 star and got my return shipping label because after 4 days I could not get the video to work. Then I got an email from Adrian like all the other 1 star reviews and I spoke with the helpful agent that gave me step-by-step instructions. I did not understand all the acronyms (ex: PoE, PPPoE, DCHS) so I wasn't sure what to pick. When I left the defaults it didn't work. I recommend anyone that purchases this camera to contact Adrian & the competent staff at TRENDnet to help you with your setup BEFORE you get frustrated. Unless you are already tech savy or a computer geek that understands all those codes.
Now the review of how it works... good color but not sharp. My live streaming jumps like little ticks or pops during streaming so it is not a nice smooth video that you are watching. I love the zooming feature and the turning radius of this little camera. If it were not for the popping or jumping of the live streaming this camera would get 5 stars from me. Unlike most of the other cameras listed as PTZ (pan/tilt/zoom) this camera actually does PTZ. I wish I could have just run the CD and BAM, I'm watching live feeds from my camera, that is what I expected. But for me, I needed the agents assistance, time well spent with them. Enjoy your TRENDnet Camera!!!ending it back. Hope others had better luck than I did.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2015
Have purchased, and continue to use, a number of Trendnet cameras for home security. Some, like this one, are WiFi, others are bullet Power-Over-Ethernet cameras. The hardware works well for all versions I've used. I have never had a hardware problem with one of these cameras. But the software you have to use with all Trendnet cameras is horrible. They still don't know Mac exists. You have to set the cams up with Windows. And the interface software for actually monitoring camera feeds is horrible. Add to that the fact that they have nag screens on all of their applications you cannot disable, this is just not a product you want to make a habit of IF you can find an acceptable alternative. I've used these cameras for about two years. The software has not been upgraded during that period, and I've seen no indication that will happen.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2014
These are pretty great little cameras. Needed the POE feature to improve reliability of my old wifi camera setup in my babies' rooms.

The video quality is very good in both day and night, despite the few IR lights. I like that the compression level and file format can be changed to fit your setup the best.

The video is not smooth in 1280x800 resolution, no matter the settings, it's a stuttery mess. Dropping down to 640x480 is buttery smooth.

Never even installed the software, if you can figure out what port it will jump on, the browser interface is all you need.

The biggest CON is that the default stepping for PAN/TILT is HUGE! There is no way to adjust it using anything but the web interface or included software, as far as I can tell. Therefore, if you use a mobile device and an app, moving the camera does not give fine control, just gross movements. The cameras are a little on the pricey side, but only in comparison to my expectations dealing with Foscam cameras.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 16, 2014
I read every review before purchasing this camera. Although many people probably think they gave excellent information, some critical information is missing. For instance, if you say that you used different software with the camera (because it was easier to setup or had better controls), what software did you decide to use?

One review said I spent hours trying to configure, finally was able to .... what did you discover was the problem? Any tips and tricks you discovered would help us, that are still trying to connect our cameras. As others have mentioned, I started a support ticket with Trendnet, have had NO response after 48 hours.

I have the lastest firmware and software from Trendnet, I am using (or trying to use) the correct software for my iphone, however, I can ONLY see my camera using the Trendnet ViewPro! Even using the setup Browser link, did not give me a Camera view. (I downloaded the plugin, as instructed and reopened my browser. No picture.

I have successfully connected and am using a wireless setup (Linksys b/g, using DHCP) I know that I am connected, because I am able to pan and tilt the camera, using the controls on both the browser setup link and the ViewPro software.

If anyone has any help for the mobile software setup, I would love the help! There are no instructions that I can find that show how to enter your IP address (although I think I have that correct) or the Port setting (which I believe I have correct).

If I don't get this working in the next 48 hours, I'll have to return :(