Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 514 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 533 reviews
on September 12, 2013
I am trying to use the unit for faxes, not dial-up to ISP. Unit reports "no dial tone". I checked the line and there is a dial tone. I tested this on two units, same error.

I switched to US Robotics 5637 (@ twice the price) and that works fine.

I believe the manufacturer has not upgraded the driver to detect the dial tone in Windows 7 64-bit.

The manufacture should disclose the incompatibility. It would have saved me several hours of effort. It is going back to Amazon.
on December 7, 2015
This product stated it worked with Win 7 and 8.1. I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series running Win 10 and it worked well. The reason I purchased this external model is because the laptop I bought from Dell does not have a phone line jack and I use dial-up on AOL. I gave this product 4 stars because of the following, fixable situation:

On my laptop, I use an external mouse and keyboard (both USB wired). When I connect to AOL using this modem, it seems like it draws so much power from the USB on the left side of my laptop that the keyboard and mouse do not work, which are plugged into the 2 right-side USB ports.

It's a strange occurrence, and I've never seen it happen before. The fix is to get a powered USB hub and plug in the modem to that. Since the hub has its own power, the power-drawing issue of this external modem is fixed. Plus, the hub now provides for 3 extra USB outlets for my laptop. (My laptop has only 3 USB ports, which are now occupied by a keyboard, mouse, and the 4-port Hub.)

I have played around with computers for 10+ years and have never run into an issue similar to this one before. It threw me for a loop. I used a Belkin 4-port USB 2.0 powered hub to fix this issue. Amazon sells them, but I had one lying around and decided to try it. I've looked in the instruction manual that came with the external modem, but did not see this issue come up.
review image
on January 19, 2015
This is a beautiful piece of equipment, unfortunately, I read that it was compatible with Win 8 & 8.1, but when I could not get it to work I called the company (TrendNet) and they informed me that it IS NOT compatible with Win 8 or 8.1.
TRENDnet Inc.
20675 Manhattan Place, Torrance, CA 90501 USA
Tel.: (310) 961-5500
Technical Support for United States and Puerto Rico (24/7)
Toll Free Telephone: 1 (866) 845-3673 Tech Support; Corporate
English: 24/7

AMZ sent me a return label and meanwhile I did find one that says it IS Win 8 & 8.1 compatible:
HiRO H50113 V92 56K
External USB Data Fax Voice Dial Up Internet
Modem Windows 8.1 8 7 Vista XP 32-bit 64-bit
Item#: E261-1103 | Model#: H50113
So this is now on its way to me. Cross my fingers in hope that it works for me!
on December 12, 2014
I am a fairly advanced user and generally do fine with products where i've checked out the reviews. This one was a disaster and frustrating. I installed the product and the software packaged with it. I bought it to be able to receive faxes. It installed with no errors and I was able to set it up and send faxes. When i tried to receive faxes, it would answer the incoming call, it made the normal fax sounds and then would display the caller's phone number and caller ID. 20-30 seconds later, though, it made a sound like a cat being strangled and then hung up. Checking the reception log, it says that it's empty.

I called TRENDNET support. After taking contact details, the agent asked how they could help. I explained the problem and they said that they can only help with installation problems and that i needed to call my ISP. After some back and forth, i said fine, so I will need to return the product. He asked if he could put me on hold and suggested that i call support for the bundled software, classic phone tools. i called them and they said the same thing. They only help with installation issues and they don't guarantee the software will work on Windows 7 and the i should have a nice life.

I am returning the product because even though it seems to be pretty cool, it doesn't do what i bought it for and the vendor(s) won't take the time to help me. Bad experience.
on September 28, 2012
Didn't realize that the official list of supported OS does not include Mac. And no prior comment has mentioned using it on a Mac. Turns out it is plug-and-play on both Windows and Mac. Mine is Mac OS X 10.8.2 on 2010 MacBook Pro. You don't need to install any driver or software. It installs automatically as a printer (USB Modem) on both Windows and Mac. In Windows, the default Fax and Scan app from the OS does the handling. In Mac, use it as a printer for sending, and for receiving, you go to the settings for printers and set up the Receive Options. I tried both sending and receiving. It worked great. It does not seem to have a build-in speaker, so no modem handshake sound. Data LED blinks when in use. It also shows up in Network settings as USB Modem on Mac. I assume it can be used to do dial-up networking. But I have no way to try it.
on April 3, 2013
First of all, Trendnet does not support the fax portion of this product. They will simply say call Microsoft if you have a fax problem.
They said the problem is with a corrupted windows system file, c:\Windows\System32\drivers\raspppoe.sys.
They said to use the installation CD to repair it, but that doesn't work. Finally gave up, upgraded my pc to windows 8 and then it worked fine.

Lesson in this: beware if you have a windows 7 64 bit operating system, your faxes wont work.
I bought this to use with "PhoneTray Pro" computer software to block telemarketers & repeated annoying callers. So far, it's working great.

The TRENDnet installed with NO HASSLE whatsoever in Windows 8 (64-bit). I didn't even have to manually install any drivers, I just plugged it in and Windows 8 did the rest. The product specs don't mention Windows 8 compatibility, but at least for what I'm using it for, it works great.

Now, when I get a telemarketing call, the TRENDnet can answer the phone and play a message to the caller that we don't accept these calls and to put us on their 'do not call' list. It also allows "PhoneTray Pro" to display on my computer screen and speak the Caller ID information using computer speech.

I wasn't sure whether this cable with a phone cable, but it does indeed come with one in case you are wondering.

Should anything change, then I'll update this review, but so far I'm very happy with this device (and the software I mentioned above) so I'm giving it 5 stars.
on September 10, 2016
Works fine as a basic fax modem on a Mac. Used successfully under OS X 10.11.6 by going through the print menu and selecting the fax modem as a printer. You don't need to install any software for this to work on a Mac - the disk that comes in the box and the user manual are not useful to a Mac user.
This is what we were looking for to replace a similar Apple product that got obsoleted by operating system upgrades. The indicator lights on the device are helpful, since there isn't much feedback from the Mac software as its transmitting. If using on Mac you might want to look at this article for finding a log of sent documents (not obvious, but its there...): [try Googling "enable cups interface mac"]
The one drag is that this product has just been discontinued, and drivers for folks that would use them haven't been updated for 3 years.
on February 5, 2014
This modem worked great on my Windows 7 64-bit O/S, HOWEVER, be aware of the following:

If you are not planning to use the modem connected directly to a primary USB port on your laptop/system but rather want it connected to a hub USB port or a USB port on a docking base (which is my case), no versions of the shipped driver worked correctly (but got the modem with the 'data' led stuck on, and having to reboot the system to get it going again; even then, the modem wouldn't initialize correctly.)

The only driver that worked correctly was a Windows installed driver that identifies the modem as 'CONEXANT USB CX93010 ACF MODEM'. Also be advised that once that driver got installed, Windows subsequently presented a driver upgrade that did not work either (got the modem identified as '....TFM-561U...' and pretty much got it stuck as described above) so I had to rollback the driver upgrade.

However, the native driver worked fine if the modem was directly connected to a laptop port so the above may not be applicable to you.

Big plus on this device is that caller-id works correctly all the time - also had no issues (after the above) sending / receiving faxes. The LED indicators are also helpful so that you know if the line is busy or when data gets transferred.

I'm overall happy with the product.
on April 28, 2016
I probably send on average a dozen faxes a month. I have an HP printer, copier, scanner and fax machine. In order to send a fax I must type it out then print it then have to stand up to put it in the machine, then punch a few buttons with one hand while standing and holding on to something to keep from falling with the other hand to send it. Then put the typed fax in a file to keep. Being almost 90, it is difficult for me to stand and get the printed fax in the machine in straight so it doesn't jam. I have an HP computer and in the wisdom of HP, they put a FAX in that computer but did not include a modem to send the fax. As I recall this computer was marked down from around $600 to $400 and for less than $25, maybe less than that, they could have included a modem. Most of the modems from Amazon cost less than $10 up to about $25.

I have looked at many USB connected modems on Amazon and other places and all, or most all, are for Dial Up internet service. Anyway, I chose to buy this Trendnet modem and try it and if it did not work, send it back. Well, it did not work on my DSL high speed internet service. I then got an ad from Amazon of a modem that did not say if it was dial up or not. I don't remember the name of it. Thinking that modem might work I posed the question does that modem work on DSL service and if not is there anything I can do to make it work. I got one reply and they and they explained to me that in DSL service, rather than Dial up, there is a lot of static on the line and that is why all phones in the house must have a filter connected to them and I should put a filter in the line. I had an extra filter and plugged it in the line with the Dial Up modem and sent a trial fax and it went without a hitch. . Since then I have sent over a dozen faxes with no trouble at all. Now I still have to type the fax then punch the print button then when the print screen comes on select FAX, instead of a printer , hit print on that screen and a fax screen comes up, type in the fax number , hit send, and the fax is sent. Takes about a minute and a half per page.

I can save the fax I sent if needed but I don't have to print it anymore to send it and I can do all this sitting down in front of my computer. Now in a year I have saved a lot of paper and ink . You may have to unplug your DSL modem when sending a fax but as now for me it works fine.