Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: TRENDnet TU-S9 USB to Serial Converter
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

Capacity: USB 1.1|Style: RS-232 (Serial)|Change

on March 9, 2009
This USB-RS232 converter is based on the PL-2303 chipset and is one of the few with true cross-platform support. Other models are lacking drivers for Mac, Linux, Vista/7, and 64-bit flavors of Windows. If you need something that'll just work no matter what you're running get a USB-RS232 adapter based either on the PL-2303 (like this one) or the FTDI chipsets. If you can't get this to work out of the box, just Google for "PL-2303 <your OS> drivers" and you should be good to go.

There are other converters out there that provide more reliable data transfer at higher speeds, but this is a great buy for the money and will suffice for just about any task you need it for.
77 comments| 321 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2006
Used this to connect my Garmin eTrex with serial adapter to my USB only laptop. Installed with no difficulty and works as it should.
11 comment| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2006
Connected 4 of these to the same computer to run DNS. Till now works 24/7 for a couple of monts without any problem neither resouce conflicts (other SYBA hardware gave me tons of problems). Didn't have even to install the driver. WinXP recognized it as "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM3)" to (COM6). Recomended product.
on August 8, 2011
We have a half-dozen of these TrendNET TU-S9 adapters in our environment; we use them for connecting to RS232 devices. We selected them because they support both Windows and Macs. They work great.

With the release of Mac OS X Lion (10.7), the TrendNET adapters no longer work with TrendNET's own drivers. I submitted a help desk ticket to TrendNET's tech support inquiring about the status of drivers for Lion, and received the following response:
"We do not have drivers for the MAC os [sic] 10.7 and do not have any current plans to support the 10.7 OS."

But fear not: It's easy to get these working with Lion. The chip inside this adapter is a Prolific 2303; there are several USB-to-serial adapter that use this chip. Prolific itself produces a 64-bit driver for this chipset, and lo, the TU-S9 works once it is installed. The driver can be found by Googling 'PL-2303 driver'. It's the file labeled `md_PL2303_MacOSX10.6_dmg_v1.4.0.zip' on the resulting page (or was at the time I wrote this review).

I just tested it with my TU-S9 and it works once I install this driver. Enjoy!
77 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 19, 2009
Purchased this to replace an older iogear USB to serial adapter that refused to work with 64 bit Windows products. I had to keep a separate 32 bit Windows partition to use whenever I needed to utilize the serial adapter. Well I'm pleased to say this is no longer the case and I was able to free up some needed space on my laptop! This works great with both Vista 64 bit and Windows 7 64 bit. I'm a Nortel Field Engineer and use this to communicate with various Nortel/Bay Networks routers and switches without trouble (Yes, it works with Cisco products as well). Works like a charm paired with TeraTerm and/or plain ole' HyperTerminal.

There's no difficult installation either, just run the setup on the included micro-cd and you're up and working in no time!

Kudos to TRENDnet for making such a great product at a great price!
on April 19, 2009
I bought this product to program a microcontroller for a class project. I run a Windows 7 32 bit laptop and a 64 bit desktop. Works great on both.
on October 27, 2008
I needed this to connect to my SBC ALIX-based embedded firewall along with a null-modem cable. It works without a driver on my linux (Debian) system except to figure out the serial line I had to run $ 'dmesg | grep tty' and it shows up as ttyUSB0. Set this in your serial client connection software. I tested it with minicom and Putty which should be in the packages for your distro. Debian makes liveCDs if you don't have a *nix box.
on September 15, 2009
This Adapter works well with Linux, OS X, Windows (but not Vista ), and BSD OSs or any system with Prolific USB-serial drivers .

The only bad thing about this product is that is USB 1.1 thus if you use it with a USB 2.0 hub you will slow all the other devices on that HUB down to 1.1 speeds.
44 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2015
The driver ser2pl64.sys version 3.6.78.350 (latest as of this review) causes BSOD on Windows 7 when resuming from hybrid sleep. I suspect that any Brand USB to Serial converter using the PL-2303 chip set from Prolific Technology will have the same problem.
review image
on January 22, 2010
If you are planning to use more than one of these adapters on a machine it does NOT seem to provide a unique serial number. So there doesn't seem to be a way to create a stable mapping between a specific hardware adapter and assigned serial device. udevinfo on Linux reports each hardware device has an iSerial of 0.