Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Capacity: AC 750|Change

on August 2, 2015
product was delivered on 5/1/15. It worked very nicely until 7/25/15.. then i couldnt access the internet thru the router. I tried re-initializing the router but no luck... I did have internet access from all other devices so the internet wasn't the problem. I contacted their on-line support but had a tough time getting the techs to understand me since they were obviously not American. After 5 unsuccessful attempts I gave up and sent Trendnet an email. Got an auto-reply saying they would get back to me within 24-48 hours. It has been 5 days since I contacted them...
Bottom line... Their product may be good but their after-market service STINKS!!!!
on May 4, 2016
I had an old DLink router that finally became insufficient for my home needs so I started doing some research about good routers that would come at reasonable price since technology advances so much.

This wireless router came on top of some reviews out on the internet (CNet + PC Mag amongst others) and what caught my eye was the load of features it had for the price. Now I have to say - though I'm an experienced IT person myself, most of the key features an average person setting up a WiFi capability at home will need or use, are literally a button away.
1) Set up is a breeze, this comes pre-encrypted so you don't need to set up a password, if you want to use the unique one it came with, you can.
2) It has 2 bands, think of it as Hi and Lo speed networks, so you can actually control what devices connect where - depending on your streaming or networking needs
3) It has a "guest" account built in, so no more sharing your precious WiFi password with all your teenage relatives or friends. You can set one guest account for them to share, like what they do at malls, cafe's or hotels, and manage just 1 account and re-set it anytime you want - without affecting all your personal accounts or password - a feature simple to use and much appreciated.
4) Management console / interface is simple - Green - Red colors for items that you need to see (network status, account issues, etc.) Simple, intuitive.
5) Enabling or customizing features are as simples answering simple Yes/No questions. There's an on-off switch for any single item you want to enable, to expand it's functions - all advanced items are disabled by default - which gives you the higher level of security for an average home user.
6) if you're a more advanced IT person or you know your networking concepts you can configure DMZ zones, split networks, manage accounts/permissions, prevent guest access to home LAN, etc.
7) It has scheduling features that are not hard to set, in order to restrict traffic and even set schedules - no more YouTube after 9 PM... or no more Netflix, or whatever you chose!

Overall I'm very happy I got it at the price range. - are there any better routers? of course, but those would cost twice as much - for me, this one did the trick - and like PC Mag pointed out - this thing just flies over WiFi. My measured speed increase was in excess of 25% just by using the 5MHz band - and I hadn't even configured anything!

In case you wondered about the load this thing handles, I have about 10 mobile devices (tablet or cell phones), 3 smart TVs (with video streaming services in each), 4 PC/Laptops, 1 Wireless Printer, Alarm System / Monitoring and 2 gaming consoles ... not to mention the devices my "guests" use when we have friends or family at home! All of which consume network bandwidth - this thing hasn't faltered.
on August 6, 2016
After 14 months I am having slow Internet speeds using a wired connection to my desktop computer. I spent over 3 hours today, downloading and installing a firmware update, replacing the 2 Ethernet cables, making settings changes, etc. The speed then improves, for about 15 minutes. Then it goes down to turtle speed, making me reboot everything. It then improves for another 15 minutes, and so on and so forth. I believe this TrendNet company does not honor their warranty at all. Their c.s. people know what they know, to have us doing all sorts of busy work, but I was told that they are not authorized to replace defective product. The joke of this all is that if I connect the modem DIRECTLY TO MY COMPUTER, the speed stays fast and doesn't drop. The router is defective, but TrendNet will never replace it. They just don't honor their warranty at all. Avoid this product. Avoid this manufacturer. Buy from some other electronics maker. Stay away from TrendNet.
on February 4, 2015
UPDATED ON 9/24/2015:
I lowered this from 4 starts to 3 starts. Still to this day I am resetting the router at least once per week. My iPhone 6 and iPad Air seem to work decently well but my wife's iPhone 5s and her 1 year old laptop have a very difficult time connecting to the wifi. Although my 7 year old Netgear router had awful reception in our condo when you weren't within 50 feet and was much slower at a distance it could go months or years without needing to be rebooted and it always was in communication with our devices and not giving us issues.

For one third the price of a quality Netgear router you will have to reboot this router often to get a connection. It may still transmit a wifi signal and say you're connected but you will have no internet connection whatsoever. If you're dependent upon a steady, full time 24hr connection then this isn't the router for you. If you don't mind resetting it often and don't demand perfection then this isn't such a bad deal as the speeds are very good when working. I'll deal with it for now as I don't want to buy another router and am happy with the device when it is actually connecting to my devices and giving me some type of signal. In the end, you get what you pay for!!!

ORIGINAL POST JANUARY 2015
So far so good. Initially the connection didn't work and after a few resets the 2.4ghz connection is very strong and very consistent. On occossaion (maybe once a week or so) the router still acts up and might need to be rest again but overall the speed is fantastic compared to my 7 year old 2.4ghz Belkin Wireless N router that I was previously using. Previously where I would get no connection our 2 story condo I now get nearly full bars on my iPhone and iPad.

As for the 5ghz, unless I'm sitting within striking distance of the router the signal strength falls VERY fast and as a result the speed is greatly reduced to worse than the 2.4ghz. Since the 2.4ghz connection speed is so quick (about 50mb/sec when in the same room and still about 20mb at the furthest location in the condo) I chose to "forget" the 5ghz network on my Apple products.

Overall, very happy with the router so far. It's definitely a cheaper router so I'm not counting on it to work for years and years but if I can get a couple good years out of this I'll be happy for the $35 price I paid.
on April 5, 2017
Pretty good, but range is pretty poor around turns. I have this set up next to my Comcast modem in the living room. I haven't had any issues with it losing a connection or having to be rebooted which is great. I don't really use both bands, so I can't comment on how one works versus the other. I do have a smart TV and I also use my laptop and iPhone to connect to it. My main issue is that when I am not directly in front of it, or if there is an object obstructing the router from the device, the connection drops. I live in a condo complex which has concrete foundation, so I know reception anywhere is an issue inside the building, but I can literally be less than 12 feet from the router in the next room, and the internet will slow to a crawl. If there was some way to fix this issue, I would otherwise love this device.
on May 8, 2017
I purchased this router several months ago to replace an older N router. I installed it as I normally would, but the connection kept dropping randomly. After several troubleshooting attempts, I stopped using It and went back to my dependable old router. Last week I decided to give it another try. This time, however, I searched the support website for a firmware update and installed the latest one. I then installed it as usual and it has been running without issues for several days. The signal is strong on both bands and I am now very happy with this purchase.

I would rate it 5 stars save for the initial issues. Hopefully this helps some of you with similar issues.
on December 29, 2014
A middle of the road router unless you want HD wifi streaming, and then only at 433 Mbps AC and 300 Mbps b,g,n

Cannot determine what is meant by "Pre-encrypted for your security".. what's encrypted?
You have to select an encryption method and provide passwords/keys for the wifi services, same as any wireless router.
I wonder if they mean the preset admin/password sticker on the faceplate.

The ethernet ports run at an unremarkable 10/100, whereas a gigabit would serve HD streaming far faster and reliably.
But I did not buy it for the ethernet speed.

I bought it to put downstream of my much faster (but older) D-Link router, to add the faster and dual-band wifi features for my remote computers in the house. Sadly, I discovered the TEW-810DR loves to go comatose in spite of light surfing/email on one machine and one call on an attached ObiHai internet served phone. Even this very light network traffic taxed it to death, I tired of having to reset it every 30 minutes. From install to de-install, 3 hours.

Finally, the "firewall" seems to be NAT -- Network Address Translation, about as ancient and basic as you can get, but not a firewall in the contemporary sense at all. I knew this, but being downstream of an SPI firewall was not a concern when purchased.

I'm unsure at this point if I missed something, or if there is nothing there to begin with.

I like TrendNet products, but not this one. Not recommended.
on March 10, 2017
As soon as I got mine, I flashed it with the latest beta DD-WRT. At the time, it was 2017-02-28 r31544. Specifically, trendnet-812dru-webflash-31544.bin was used to flash. I see they have a newer one, but well, you know what they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

One surprising thing I saw is that it's made in Taiwan, not China. I have no idea if this is true with every single unit.
on January 25, 2015
I am usually one to try and say if I don't have anything positive to say, don't say anything at all. However, after the nightmare of this router came to light I felt compelled to speak out. To start there was a dead smashed spider in the box. Awesome. No big deal, if that's the only problem you can't blame the product. It has Easy set up you say? Nope. It took 16 times to finally catch onto my computer (I have a Dell laptop and had no previous problems with Wifi routers connecting.) This was after calling the customer service and being dropped twice. Maybe the dropped calls were my phones fault. I won't blame that on them.

So finally it connects. Er. Nope. Dropped network. Again. Again. Again. Again. So as the old saying goes you get what you paid for. Yes this on the cheaper side, but the headache is on the expensive side. Stay away unless you are the type who like to constantly have to fix problems.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2016
I had been searching for sometime for a simple setup networking device to simply extend the wireless range of my FIOS modem/router. My FIOS device is located in a centralized location, along with all of my other security and networking items, which is on one end of my home. I ran an Ethernet cable to the living room, which is in approx. the middle of my home a while back where I had a 5 port switch connected on the end. Because I had an extra router, I then connected it and established an additional network. Because it was an older, yet reliable router (Western Digital (WD)) I began looking for something that could instead of creating a new network, could extend the one established by my FIOS device with greater distance then my WD, as well as perhaps a stronger signal for my son to use for his PS4. The description and reviews indicated this was the product for me. However, in order for devices connected through the TRENDnet to obtain an IP from my FIOS device, I had to connect it via it's LAN port vice the WAN port. When I did this, I could no longer gain access to it's web interface, due in part to diabling the DHCP as well as being connected via it's LAN port. Other devices I have have an option to select "access point" for the setup, allowing the Ethernet cable to be plugged in to the WAN port.

When connected via the WAN port, I could gain access to the web interface however, found difficulty viewing the devices connected to it, which is what happens when the WAN port is used. I could not find where a list of connected devices was where I could modify the device names as I can with my FIOS router and my Almond+

As for the signal strength of the TRENDnet... I was very disappointed with only receiving 75% at best, with the signal going down after a while to around 50%. The upload and download tests I performed were very low as well. I currently have 50/50 download/upload with FIOS and only realized about 10 to 15 download when connected through the TRENDnet.

Speaking of the Almond+...although I have been disappointed with it since receiving it last year to run my home automation (since disbanding that effort in favor of SMartThings), The setup is far easier mostly due to it's touchscreen. If a mistake is made via the web interface and not being able to get back in, having the touch screen makes it a snap. Perhaps if this device had a simple touchscreen, I would have had better luck.

Trust me, I want badly to give this device a higher rating. However, the lack of being able to simply choose to set up as an "access point" and still use the WAN port makes this device nothing more than a switch I decided to use it as at the other end of my home network.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse