Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 553 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 566 reviews
on September 16, 2015
Awesome shorts. Well made and they do repel water and oil-based liquids. (to a degree). They are very comfortable. I do has some small things I would have preferred they change, but I am not dinging the product because it works as described. Here are the changes I would rather see.
1. Reinforced section on the bottom of the front pocket when you clip your folder to.(your knife) I know they have a dedicated pocket to use to hold your knife or whatever, but it's positioned a little behind the front pants pocket and the rear wallet pocket. Also, the front outer cellphone/magazine pocket needs to be a little deeper to better secure larger capacity magazines. My 10 rd mags fit perfectly, but my 17 rd mags not so well. It will hold them, but you have to really pull the pocket flap over to secure the Velcro and it just barely secures. The mag pockets located inside the side cargo pockets do hold the 17 rd mags and also 19 rd mags. The outer phone/magazine pocket will hold two 10 rd mags easily, as do the inner pockets - holding 9 mm mags. There are two inner pockets inside each side cargo pocket. They will each hold a standard 30 rd mag (Magpul or regular mil-spec metal) for an AR platform. I cannot speak for larger calibers. This goes for the pistol mag pockets as well, I carry 9 mm mags in them. These shorts seem to be very well made, they are comfortable. My rigger belts which are pretty wide, fit very nicely. The only thing I will say is that I haven't really put these shorts through the paces with all the pockets loaded with mags. That's not a normal configuration for me. Depending on where I am going I may carry up to 2 pistol mags, but if I need to carry 4 AR magazines, I will kit up. and use a vest. I just say this because adding the extra weight of 4 AR mags and a couple pistol mags could stress the seams and stitching. These shorts would probably hold up to that kind of abuse, but I cant address that specifically. It's probably convenient for range use, but I wouldn't really want magazines slapping me on my outer knees when I'm running around. My bottom line is that for the money I saved buying these vs. 5.11's which I own several of the taclite pants, these are a great buy. The 5.11 have the reinforced pockets that I like, but I don't like them so much to pay $10 more bucks. So for what I paid, I am completely satisfied and in fact bought another pair. One piece of advice: Be sure to turn your shorts inside out before washing them. Don't wash in hot water, do dry on high heat. Wash them in cold water, and dry on low. (same if you have waterproof/rip stop pants) Oh and don't use fabric softeners on them. Besides the obvious fact that they make your clothes smell, I think it can foul up the waterproofing qualities. Because if you've been in the field before, you know that "spring time fresh Downy" doesn't smell like any springtime I've ever deployed to.
The pics have notes on them so you can know what I had in the pocket. I didn't test any 17 or 19 rd mags because they did not fit the way I would want them to, so I won't wear.
review image review image review image
on November 10, 2014
I'm older and when I wear shorts i like shorts, not short pants (which, I know is the current style) These are about as short as you get today. The 70/30 Polyester/Cotton is tough. They can get soaking wet and will dry fast. (Surprisingly fast) There are plenty of pockets and compartments to keep everything organized and most are fastened well to prevent things from falling out when riding a bicycle. The only reason these are not 5 stars is the thread they use is not as tough as the fabric. When riding a bicycle long distances the thread will wear out and need to be resown around the pockets. Did I mention the fabric is tough and stays good looking. I bought one pair of these 3 years ago and they were the only shorts I wore during a 3 year bicycle trip. They finely got a rip beside the rear pocket and had to be replaced. I bought two pair this time and am glad I can still get the same shorts.
Bicycling Bob
on May 5, 2016
I've owned these tactical shorts for about two months now and have worn them quite a bit...love them!! The fit is as expected, but I went ahead and ordered a 36 when I'm normally a 34 just so I can have the extra room to conceal carry IWB at 4-5 O'Clock position. Turns out the 34 size would have worked just fine because the elastic expands to give you an extra 2 inches. The color Khaki is more of a light grey/khaki, maybe a sandstone color is more closely to what you'll get and I've added a couple of photos as well. Also be sure to check out my YouTube Channel OutdoorEnthusiast88 for an in depth video review of these exact shorts so you can get a better look at them. Lightweight, repels water and stains, feel like a light canvas material but break in nicely, and they go down to my knees which is nice. The various pockets are impressive and allow you to carry knives, pens, magazines for both rifle and pistol, and whatever else you might find yourself carrying daily or for a day on the range. The knife pockets have reinforced top pieces to help with wear. Overall, these are fantastic shorts!
review image review image
on June 22, 2015
I am very happy with these shorts. I wear a 36. I ordered a size 36 and they are a perfect fit. The overall length is 21 inches. The 7 1/2" zipper is a metal YKK and there is a very solid front snap. The expandable waste band is great. It makes for a perfect fit. The belt loops are 2 inch. The two front pockets are nice and deep, 9 inches. The front cargo pockets are 7 1/2 inches deep with two mag. pockets in both. There is also another pocket on the front of the cargo pockets 4" deep 3" wide. The cargo pockets are hook and loop and there is a side hook and loop gusset for more room. On the left side there is a small pocket 4 3/4" deep by 1 1/2" wide perfect for my Stylus Pro flashlight. The two back pockets are 6 1/2" deep and also have the expandable side gussets for more room. So there are nine pockets in all. The only thing I would like to have is a "D" ring on the front for my keys but with all the pocket space it is no big thing. The pockets and hem are double stitched. Workmanship is good. I will be ordering more. This is my first True-Spec product and I will be ordering cargo pants from them.
on July 22, 2015
Both Tru-Spec and 511 seem to have their fans and so I thought I'd try a pair of each to see which works best for me. Neither are perfect and both have great ideas for utility pants. 511 had a nicer cell phone pocket on the left side. This works well when you're standing. Sitting is like trying to get it out of your pocket. Tru-Spec phone pocket is too short for even a medium sized smart phone. Today's larger smart phones will not fit either 511 or Tru-Spec. Next is how an IWB fits (mine is N82 Pro for the Shield). Tru-Spec seems to give more flexibility and more comfortable on the belt line. Tru-Spec has cleaner lines and the cargo pockets flatter. 511 can probably carry more in the pockets but it also looks like 'cargo pants'. I'm not wild about that strap on the right rear pocket on 511s -- seems like a gimmick. Tru-Spec is noticeably cheaper. So the Tru-Spec wins for me. I'm glad to have tried both since I own several 511 long pants.
on March 20, 2017
Heavy weight rip stop material. I first became aware of the benefits of rip stop shorts by purchasing Columbia PFG shorts, at fifty bucks a pop from west marine. The are light, tough, look good and wear well for outdoor work. I would scour the local west marines for the heavier weight mocca colored PFG Columbia shorts. I don't have to do that anymore. These are twice as thick, fit much better and have very secure pockets. They fit really well. I'm 6' 4" 200lbs.
on December 6, 2015
I'm a shorts kind of guy when it comes to work. These are great. The oil and water repellent on them works for several washing and they are comfortable from day one. Plenty of pocket space for pants that aren't baggy. They fit just like the picture shows. I have two pair and both are in great shape. One is about 18 months old and gets worn about 2-3 times without washing. I can't say that about my cotton/canvas type work shorts.

On the fit, I will say that you should size up. I am a 34 in everything and these do fit, but they have an excellent elastic system in them that would make them feel like sweat pants if I had a 36. Right now the elastic is all but completely extended when I wear these, so some breathing room might be nice. Still, I like how these fit anyways
on March 27, 2017
These are the same as the ones I bought last year. Very satisfied with how they wear and hold up over time. I like the "sub pocket" inside the cargo pocket that's perfect for my cell phone. I've bought other, less expensive shorts; however, they do not have the same durability as these. Strongly recommend.
on September 1, 2016
I would have given 4 stars, except that I have issues with the design of the lower cargo pockets, based on what I carry. Other than that, they were a decent copy of BDU shorts, but priced a bit higher than I feel that they are worth. I use them for my knock-around shorts, although I bought them to wear for my normal use.
on February 8, 2017
Does not fit big or tall men well. The rise and the inseam are both too short for tall men. The cargo pockets are too shallow and awkward to use.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.