Customer Reviews: TYC 1998 Toyota 4Runner 1-Row Plastic Aluminum Replacement Radiator
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Elvis Presley Shop Cycling on Amazon

on October 3, 2013
I installed this radiator successfully. I feel like it will work just fine, but I only installed it yesterday. I had read that the TYC radiators were just rebranded Koyo radiators and came in a Koyo box. This was not my experience. The box said TYC, and it did not say Koyo anywhere.

I also had a slight issue with the bolt holes not lining up perfectly. It took a little work to get the bolts in. I found that it was doable if you back the radiator away from where it mounts by a half inch or so and then get the bolts started. Do this on all four holes and then tighten them down once you have all four started. At least, this worked for me. YMMV.

When the bolt holes didn't line up properly, I thought I could just take the radiator supports off of the stock radiator and use them with this replacement radiator to see if the old supports would line up better with the bolt holes. You cannot do this, however, because the supports on the sides of the TYC radiator connect different;y than the supports on the stock radiator which prevents you from swapping them out.

I also did not use the built in transmission cooler on the radiator and instead opted to install an external transmission cooler from B&M. That way, the two systems are completely segregated and I do not have to worry about the "pink milkshake".

Overall, I was pleased with the product. Once installed, everything seems to be working just fine. If you are just swapping the radiator, it's really not that hard to do. Tip: While it is not necessary, I did find that removing the passenger headlight on my '02 4runner made it a little easier to access the bottom passenger side mounting bolt for the radiator.
on June 1, 2015
fit in my 1997 toyota 4runner like a champ, even had side brackets with it, easy install, just took a afternoon. don't forget to get some coolant and transmission fluid, you will lose a little when swamping your radiator
on November 26, 2015
Works as it should, but the mounting holes spacing was off and I had to slot out the holes in my radiator support to use it. -giving this radiator three stars because missing quality on something this easy to control at the manufacturing level is unacceptable.
on July 31, 2014
Great, cheap replacement for stock radiator. I off road a lot, sometimes in relatively high heat (high 90's to 100). I run the A/C on full while I'm wheeling and haven't had any overheating issues.

The bolt holes, though, did not match up perfectly. They were maybe a millimeter or 2 off, so I had to jam the screws in. I was afraid the radiator wasn't going to be very secure, but as I said...I off road a lot and the radiator is on sturdy. Highly recommended.
on November 29, 2013
Mostly a direct bolt-on replacement for the factory radiator in a 2000 Toyota 4Runner. There was some misalignment with the mounting bolt holes on this radiator, which required removal of the mounting rails from the radiator, and installing of the rails in the truck, then sliding the radiator into place, then applying a lot of leverage to get the bolts back into the body of the radiator for mounting.

Aside from that issue (which added about 45 minutes to the install) everything was as expected, and the 4Runner has been running well for over a month.
on November 26, 2012
I originally ordered a Denso radiator for my 98 Toyota 4runner, however, upon delivery I discovered the overflow nipple was broken so I had to send it back - Amazon made this very simple. Unfortunately Amazon was out of stock for that radiator so I couldn't get the exact model sent back out. I was disappointed because the Denso was OEM and only cost ~$140. Needless to say I had read that Koyo units were very good after market radiators and they are sold on Amazon listed as TYC so I opted for this unit. As far as i can tell this isn't a Koyo unit.
The radiator itself looked like a quality unit. The problem I had was with the fit - neither the fan shroud or the radiator support holes lined up. What should have been a quick one hour swap ended up taking three hours. I wanted to reuse my Toyota rad supports, but they had some broken fan shroud nuts so I couldn't. I did manage to get the unit in and the shroud on it just took some persuasion.
If you can find the Denso unit i recommend spending the extra money.
on July 23, 2011
Bought this to replace OEM radiator on 2000 4Runner. Arrived in timely manner an in perfect condition with no damages to cooling fins. Initially had problems aligning the mounting holes but resolved this by taking off side brackets on radiator and mounting them first to match up with mounting holes on vehicle. Then I just slid the core portion back in and bolt it to properly space the radiator. Be careful taking bolts off the mounting bracket because they can easily strip the plastic retainers that suppose to keep the nut in place. If that happens, then you'll have a bolt that keeps spinning along with the nut and you'll never get it off. The drain plug is a little on the cheap side. DO NOT over tighten it or you'll never get it off without breaking it. I might check to see if the original plug will fit and replace it with that. Its been almost a month since the install and everything appears to be fine so far. Can't beat the price...
on May 5, 2015
Decent for the price, but the plastic coolant overflow nozzle broke off at the end of my installation. I take responsibility for busting it off, but I really just barely touched it and it just snapped. Wish that particular part was stronger or even made of metal. Had to buy a second radiator as my fix is temporary and the radiator I bought is essentially worthless.
on July 23, 2014
I bought this radiator as a replacement for my 1997 Toyota 4Runner to avoid the "Strawberry Milkshake" that can occur with these trucks; was initially going to buy the KOYO A1998, but had trouble locating one. Install wasn't painfully difficult; It took some wrangling to make the holes all line up, and it isn't a direct, super-tight fit, but it's more than sufficient for your cooling needs. Would buy again. Note that this does NOT come with a replacement radiator cap.
on April 14, 2014
The radiator in itself seems fine, but to advertise this as a direct fit, is incorrect. The unit is too wide to fit with the brackets provided. Frankly, it's too wide with the existing brackets. But...I did make it fit after a bit of modification to the brackets and the holes used to hold the radiator to the car. I had to use a file on my car to make the holes longer so I could get them to line up with the brackets. I also had to bend the hooks on the brackets to make this radiator fit. What should have been a quick and easy drop in, turn out to be a major pain!