BCA Month Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now PSFF17_gno

on April 3, 2017
I haven't received this book yet (just ordered it), but my friend had a copy of it at his house, which I looked through. Being an electronics engineering student who is about to graduate, we have been learning a lot about transistor circuits (and other stuff) and I wanted to see how this book went about explaining these topics.

This book offers a TON of useful examples and does a great job of explaining why things are the way they are. It lays ideas out simply and gives you the meat and potatoes of the design elements, but doesn't dumb things down to the point where it isn't useful. I learned a few things just from reading it for a half hour and am now buying it. I saw it has circuits for many different kinds of audio amps, voltage controlled oscillators, and lots of other cool crap which electronics nerds like myself love. For the price, I would highly recommend
on December 29, 2011
This is a great book to get you started in electronics, but it's a bit out-dated now.

I say this because two of the transistors the author uses to build the power supply are already listed as "not recommended for new designs". They are also pricey at $6 and $10 each. Also the 4400uf 50V capacitors used are $44 each and you need 2 of them. I'm using 4x 2200uf at a dollar each instead.

Also when looking for the radio shack PCB, take out the A from the end of the part number or you won't find it.

Just as an FYI, the parts for the power supply will come out to close to $100.

Although it would be great to skip ahead and order all the parts you will need so you can build it as you go, I recommend reading all those sections first so you can better understand what you can order, then re-reading them as you build it.

I'd love to see a 2012 edition of this book...and without trying to use $44 capacitors.
on October 5, 2015
A good book for someone serious about learning the principles of electronics and some basic electricity. So far it seems concisely written, but this is a text book, not a hobbyist's manual. If you're serious about electronics, I'd say this is a worthwhile investment for your reference library.
on April 18, 2014
I knew most of the contents of this book going in... That said - I did get quite a bit out of this book simply because of the way its organized.. knowledge stacked on knowledge..

If you want a general education on conductivity, resistance, volts, watts, switches and all that fun stuff.. this book is spectacular.
on May 4, 2015
2nd Ed. Traditional survey, and helpful graphics of basic circuit sand concepts, but
totally lacking in digital, which is disappointing and disqualifies as a contender
in the plethora of "newbie" guides.
on June 3, 2011
Like many others, I've been self-teaching myself electronics in recent years, and this book beats out the others. I myself found the projects, which mirror the text, very helpful. No book has everything in it you would ever need to know, but this book gives the best foundation to its readers, among all those I've read. "Electronics Fundamentals" by Floyd also is good, but much more expensive, and more focused on problem-solving.
on March 18, 2002
If you just read this, you will at least get a better idea of whats going on inside all those boxes around your housethat plug into the wall. If take the time to read and absorb the material you will be even more rewarded. But best of all, you should actually at least build the power supply that the author uses as a teaching tool. Even if you never build anything else, you will a lot more by doing this. Be warned, it is not like a kit where you just put all the pieces together. You will have a couple of problems to solve and most likely have to do some minor innovations.
on June 29, 2016
This was a helpful aid to a student. Good book and easy to follow the information. It was very helpful.
on January 18, 2017
Good book for the beginner in electronics
on February 15, 2017
Perfect conditions as described !