Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Acoutsic Christmas PCB for Musical Instruments Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 7, 2011
NOTE: THIS DOES NOT WORK WITH ANY KINDLE PRODUCT AS FAR AS I KNOW - PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME QUESTIONS ABOUT KINDLES OR KINDLE FIRES AS I DO NOT OWN ONE. THIS IS A REVIEW FOR THIS KEYBOARD COVER WITH A COBY KYROS - I DO NOT OWN OTHER E-READERS AND CANNOT OFFER ADVICE ON THOSE PRODUCTS!

I bought this after reading many reviews on here and noting that many people said it worked with Coby Kyros. Shipping was FAST! I got it in 4 days with two of them being weekend days. The case is nice and sturdy, great hardcover protection. I was aware it came with the keyboard and plug, and that I would have to use my adapter that came with my Coby Kyros, but it was a pleasant surprise to find a stylus was also included and that there is a nice holder for that and for the cord that holds the plug for the keyboard.

Many people have mentioned this case does not fit their 7-inch tablets, but there is a VERY EASY fix. Before placing your tablet into the 3 prongs, first bend the prongs downward (toward the case backing) a little further than they are currently seated. I did this and my 7-inch Kyros (which originally just slipped right in) now fits snugly in the 3 holders. I even held it over my bed and vigorously shook the case up and down while it was open and my tablet never fell out or even slipped at all. It's much easier and less "messy" than one other reviewer's suggestion of using Velcro - and much easier to get the tablet in and out this way.

Finally, when I first connected my adapter that came with my tablet to the keyboard adapter I was very disappointed that nothing happened. I tried several different browser pages, mashed all the buttons on the keyboard, clicked on the Function key and snooze button twice in case it was in sleep mode, etc. but nothing happened. I finally kept reading reviews on here and noticed on about page 3 or 4 that someone mentioned they changed their USB settings and their keyboard finally started working. So, I immediately went to my Settings, Advanced Settings, and then USB BUS MODE and changed it from DEVICE mode to HOST mode and VOILA - the keyboard immediately started functioning. Not only that, but I can have it connected or not connected and both the external keyboard and my device keyboard still function normally. For anyone that hooks it up to their tablet and thinks it is not actually working - please try this and it might save you the time and hassle of sending it back to the manufacturer.

I have so far been able to browse faster, type more quickly and get through many more screens faster using this keyboard and cover than I was ever able to do with my fingers and stylus with the tablet and device keyboard in the past. I am going to LOVE this purchase!!
5150+ comments| 1,369 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 9, 2012
I felt a need for this item as I began trying to run emulators and edit documents with my Nexus 7. I had a full-sized keyboard plugged in and felt it was unwieldy and definitely not portable, so I began my search for a cheap solution. That's exactly what I found in this product. Let's break it down:

The Case
--------
The case feels cheap, has hideous stitching and has a flap at the top that loves to hang in-front of the tablet. The brackets for the tablet represent a poor design choice. They are metal, wrapped with faux leather, that must be bent back to accommodate the tablet. It seems like a design choice that would have been made in my dad's shop out back; definitely not an elegant solution. The sizing of the case makes holding and using the tablet while in the case, not impossible, but extremely aggravating. I found myself constantly pulling my tablet out so I could interact with it. I would say that the case is more of a hassle than a help.

The Keyboard
------------
The keyboard... is a keyboard. I have no major complaints about it, nor are there any features that make me want to sing its praises.

The Stylus
----------
The stylus is useless on tablets that are calibrated to finger sizes. It seems that a lot of manufacturers are just trying to get rid of old stock. It's also worth mentioning that the stitching around the holster for the stylus promptly ripped when I first tried to remove it. Luckily it's useless and I could care less about the defect.

Conclusion
----------
If you pay less than 10 bucks for this, then it's not a complete waste, but I would recommend holding out for a while if you have ANY intention of getting a better case and keyboard. I'm fairly frugal and always lean towards economy, but this would have been an exception had I known what I was getting. If I could have wound back the hands of time, I would have told myself to take a look at keyboards in the $20 to $30 range. If you are leaning towards this post-purchase suggesion, then I would also recommend hunting for a case with a detachable keyboard.

---------
What is my case doing now? It's sitting inside my laptop bag getting used to the dark. I've found it easier just to leave my full-size keyboard on my desk with a tablet stand at the ready.
on August 31, 2012
**this is designed for a STANDARD USB port, if your tablet uses MICRO USB, get a micro USB to USB cable (I used this one: Micro USB to USB Female Cable USB- OTG For Galaxy S2 I9100).**

**this case is NOT SECURE--I would recommend modifying it as I did below; otherwise, it's your own fault if your tablet slips out**

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I'm typing with the keyboard on my Nexus 7, at a speed of ~30 WPM instead of my usual ~100WPM--hey, it beats using the touchscreen keyboard! I literally just plugged it in, and it works great!

CASE:
fit: The top prong is springloaded to adjust to any size. however, because there are no side prongs, it's not secure at all. I'll have to modify it later in order to make the case portable.
construction quality: a little sloppy, but it doesn't look incredibly cheap. I don't think there's much quality control regarding stitching or where magnets are placed, or how wide apart the prongs are.
size: 5.5 x 9 x 1.75 inches. It's small but a little unnecessarily thick.

OVERALL: The main drawbacks of the case are its poor fit (I don't trust three little prongs with holding my tablet secure) and unnecessary thickness (quite a bit of extra space); however, these can be rectified with modifications. I like the convenient pop-out stand (makes your tablet feel like a laptop).

KEYBOARD:
-keyboard dimensions: 8" by 3", not including leather bezel. So yes, it is pretty cramped.
-key size: most essential keys are 1.5 cm, but they're crowded. I don't have an issue with letters so much as the punctuation keys, which are very crowded (and only 1cm wide)
key layout: like I said, letter and number keys are laid out perfectly. All other keys are squeezed. Some are in a weird location, like the apostrophe (which is located below the period). I use apostrophe way more than the colon, I feel like those should have been switched,
-button functionality: I notice some keys don't work. This may or may not be a function of the tablet, not the keyboard. My DELETE key doesn't work.

OVERALL: They did a good job keeping the alphanumeric keys the same size, but I would have appreciated a more intelligent design, according to what keys are used most (shift, ctrl, apostrophe, etc.) The really cramped keys are at the bottom, so typing words isn't the hard part, it's ending them that slows you down. I like that it has signals for capslock, numlock, etc. For the price, I have no complaints. Can this compare to a full-sized keyboard? NO. Is it much more efficient than any touchscreen keyboard? Yes.

TIP: it's faster for me to type with my hands above the keyboard, like how you'd play keys on a piano, rather than with your palms flat down. If you have large hands, you'll definitely have a harder time.

If you plan on carrying your tablet around with this, I would STRONGLY recommend the following:
-purchase a TPU or hard case. You can find TPU cases for like 5 bucks.
-Remove the metal prongs.
-superglue on the TPU/hard case to the keyboard case.
-adjust the thickness of the case by bending the spine. This will REALLY reduce the bulk.

See the modified case pictures I posted in the product gallery. Not beautiful, but it works. Now I can use this case without worrying that my tablet will slip out and crack on the ground. Not to mention, removing the prongs and bending the spine makes it SO much thinner!
33 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 20, 2012
I bought this for a Google Nexus 7 tablet and the keyboard itself is just fine. It has all of the keys you'd expect to see on a Windows PC, except the Windows logo key, including a few that I expect are as useless to an Android tablet as they are on a PC: PrtSC/SysReq, Pause/Break, etc. The stylus doesn't work on a modern capacitive touchscreen, but I imagine it only adds about a tenth of a cent to the cost.

The case is sturdy and ought to be able to protect a tablet pretty well. The negative side of this is that it is quite thick, 1 3/8". Personally I find the white stitching unattractive. The magnetic closure works well. My case did not have have another magnet on the back to hold the strap back as the notes for a customer picture indicated, so the strap can get in the way of the display when the case is open.

As others have noted, the Nexus 7 is too thin to be held securely by this case, and can easily slip out either side, but I found a great solution. I put a black "sticky pad" (sometimes called a dash mat) behind the tablet. This adds just the right amount of thickness, and eliminates any chance of sliding. Many eBay sellers carry sticky pads for about a dollar, and you can also find them in Amazon Marketplace for a little more.

To connect your tablet to the keyboard you'll need an OTG male microUSB to female USB adapter. (Why can't the keyboard have the right connector - do any tablets have a full-sized USB jack?) The adapter I bought through Amazon was NOT a good choice. It has two problems: it is hard to get a reliable electrical connection, and it requires that you mount the Nexus upside-down thus making the power and volume controls inaccessible. Be sure to check which side the cable leaves the right-angle microUSB connector so you can avoid this problem.
on December 9, 2012
I have been looking for a keyboard to use with the Google Nexus 7 but they all seem to cost an arm and a leg. I jumped on this one when it only cost around $8.00 and have been satisfied so far.

The product arrived three days past the expected delivery date.

Nexus 7 fits snuggly into the case however it is tricky to get it in and out. The table sits on two "shelves" on the bottom and then a top piece (probably spring loaded) applies pressure securely holding the tablet in. However, pulling the top piece up enough to slide the table in can be tricky and getting the tablet back out again has the same problem. But I found this relatively minor.

To get the keyboard to work with the Google Nexus 7 you need one of these: eForCity Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter They are cheap and will allow you to connect the keyboard to your Nexus 7. Also you can use this adapter to connect other USB drives or devices to your tablet which is a great option to extend the storage of your device. It also makes it very easy to move files between your tablet and other computers without having to use email, Google Drive, or Dropbox. You also might need a free app called StickMount (Android) to ensure your device registers the USB connection.

In addition, when you connect the Google Nexus 7, in the top left corner a little keyboard notification may appear, if you swipe down from there and select "Choose Input Method" you will be taken to a settings screen where you can select the keyboard device. It may appear as "Hardware: Physical Keyboard" or "CZW USB Keyboard". You will probably only have to do this once. The only other thing I struggled with briefly was I opened up a text document and then started typing but nothing happened. What I forgot to do was press in the text document so that a cursor appeared, after the cursor appeared I could typ normally.

The USB connection cord is very long and you should have no problem reaching the input port on your device no matter where it is. Just remember, this is a regular sized usb input (2.0) meaning, it will NOT fit in a micro USB slot. Look at your tablet now, if there is not a place to plug in a regular USB thumb drive then you will probably need some sort of adapter to make this work.

The product also includes a tiny stylus, however this stylus will not work on your Nexus 7, it will only work on tablets whose screens respond to pressure instead of the electrical signals in your hands. A good way to test which type of scree you have is to see if you can still use the touch screen with gloves on. If you can use your tablet with gloves on then your screen is pressure sensitive, if you can't then it is using electrical stimulation (aka capacitive touch).

There is also a kickstand that allows you to prop the tablet side up while you type, this appears to work fine.

The keyboard appears fully functional. It is cramped and will take some getting used too, but even with the adjustment it is still faster to type on than if you were just using the screens keyboard. The only real difficulty I had was with the right side of the keyboard since the majority of the extra buttons (i.e. not letter buttons) reside there making it a bit more cramped and difficult to hit the space bar with your right thumb or the shift key with your right pinkie.

All in all, it gets the job done and is excellent for the price. The keyboard is small and functional though I would say the case as a whole is a tad bulky. However, you are not going to find a cheaper tablet keyboard out there so if you would like to have one, or are curious about one, I'd say this is the product to get,
on August 15, 2013
I use this with a Buyvaya - New 7" Ainol Crystal Android tablet.

Its a great fit. Adding a hard keyboard to a tablet make it so much more functional.
I really don't like soft keyboards.

It seems to be holding up from a durability standpoint. The keyboard is big enough to actually type rather than hunt and peck.

Somethings that I would do differently:
Add a storage pocket.
In the course of a day I end up with small pieces of paper. It would be nice to have a place to store them.

A pen/pencil holder and a small notepad holder.
I know, I know, I'm just not ready to let go of the old ways just yet. Its not always convenient to pop open and fire up the tablet and type a quick note.

Better storage of the USB plug.
It just kind of hangs there. I've managed to slide it into the stylus loop and its out of the way.

Over all I'm very happy with this carry case.
on January 5, 2013
I ordered this item for my new Nexus 7 in hopes that it would not only aid in easier typing but also provide overall protection. After having used it for about 2 weeks now, I can confirm it's almost the perfect accompaniment to my Nexus 7.

Positive:
- The Nexus slides easily enough into the 3 prong holder with 2 prongs to grasp the bottom and 1 on top.
- The faux leather case is very nicely made for the price and has, what feels to be, a thick cardboard insert for insulation. The stitching looks tight and unlikely to come apart without some heavy wear and tear.
- A large keyboard spanning the bottom half of the case with a FULL size USB attachment. Note that you will need to separately purchase a mini-USB converter for it to work w/the Nexus. My thanks to an earlier reviewer that posted a link to buy the cable.
- The 'strap' to close the case has a small magnet in it that helps hold the closed case together.
- There is a foldout stand attached to the back of the case to prop up the display on a desk. It effectively turns your tablet into a tiny laptop. Very nifty feature that is similar to a picture frame stand, but it feels a bit unwieldy when using in just your hands or on your lap.

Minor Negatives:
- The 3 prong attachment is only on 2 sides. I've found this leaves the potential for my Nexus to easily slide right out the sides of the case. While it's only a minor inconvenience for what this case provides, others may find it to be a significant safety flaw if you buy this case w/the expectation of a snug, immovable fit.
- Another minor item is that the provided plastic stylus does NOT work w/the Nexus. Again not a big deal if you read the reviews and instead buy a soft-tipped version separately, but just be aware of it.
- Using this case makes your slim and light Nexus much more bulky and heavier. This should not be unexpected. Just don't buy it thinking that it will still just fit into a pocket or palm of your hands. If you want that than buy a plastic screen cover and some cheap backing.

Overall I am very satisfied w/my purchase and believe it a great pairing for the Nexus 7. The case provides stability, style, protection, and comfort at an inexpensive price.
on November 24, 2013
I bought this after I bought the NORIA 8GB thing. I have yet to get it to work. It looks impressive. It just does not work - at least not with my tablet. I even bought the adapter. Nothing.

!!!UPDATE!!!

My bride bought me a Winbook 8" tablet -er- microcomputer. This tablet has a full size USB port as well as a micro-USB and two HDMI ports.

Anyway, "on a lark" I tried this thing that did not work for the NORIA. It works beautifully. No need for drivers or anything. Note that I said the Winbook is 8", not 7. The spring loaded adjustable bracket holds it in snugly, I have never had a problem with it slipping out of place.

I gave it a four-star rating, because the keys are not backlit, and since it is generic, there is no pre-cut hole for the camera. So, to take pictures using the screen as a viewfinder, I have to take it out of the case.

THIS CASE IS ABSOLUTELY RECOMMENDED - especially for WINBOOK OWNERS!!!

The NORIA TABLETS are absolutely NOT RECOMMENDED!
on April 24, 2016
I purchased this tablet stand December 2, 2011 to go with my very first tablet because I was an internet dinosaur. I was not acquainted with touch screens and other such technical stuff. Two of my grown kids told me about the tablet stand and suggested I get it to help me learn my way around on the tablet. I bought it, and I learned quickly that the (grown) kids were right. This external keyboard helped tremendously.

This is what I learned about the tablet stand:

-It is made of high quality durable leather. Therefore, it will last a good long time because I am very particular with my gadgets. I treat them kindly and they last.

-Easy to use. There were no complicated issues to maneuver to use this keyboard.

-It has a secure magnetic closure that snaps shut and the device is secure… after my son modified the tablet and tablet stand with Velcro strips.

-It has real laptop style keys. I didn’t have to figure out anything new. I could just go about typing and clicking like I was on a regular laptop.

-The tablet connected to the keyboard easily with the cord included with the tablet stand.

- The kickstand is an added bonus. It made it easier to angle the screen as I typed.

My main issue with this tablet stand is that my tablet would not fit the tablet stand properly. And, it was recommended for my tablet’s brand specifically. My tablet would not stay put and would slide right out. My tekky-grown son solved this problem by attaching Velcro strips to the back of my tablet and to the tablet stand (case) to keep the tablet in place.

This is my experience with the tablet stand.
review image
on December 4, 2012
Bought this from Brainy Deals with my tablet, despite Hurricane Sandy, they got both to me well ahead of schedule. The keyboard works perfect with the agptek tablet I bought. The cool thing is that it doesn't add bulk, so I can slide the tablet out of my pocket and open it up if I want to read, plus there's a collapsible stand to prop the tablet up so it kind of looks like a mini notebook.

Two things that I'd want to mention as caution. The top clamp is spring loaded and is flexible to accommodate different depths of 7" tablets, make sure it's bent to fit securely because due to the convenience of the design, there's not a way of securing it from the sides.

Second, if yours is new the magnetic clasp that holds the case shut has a lot of memory, that makes it go down over the front of the tablet. That's fixable by bending the clasp repeatedly to break it in.

As an extra aside, it is a full keyboard formatted qwerty style but due to the compact size, the keypad is accessible via hitting a button. Also, because it is compact, the keys are pressed together differently. Just need to learn to type a bit differently because a full length keyboard would be impractical.