Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Tailgates & Tanlines
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on August 9, 2011
...although the album cover and album title suggest this is simply a collection of songs about partying with Mr. Country McDreamy in a v-neck t-shirt, that is just the half of it. The first half of the album is basically about having a good time or the effects of having a good time - whether it's good dancing', good lovin', good drinkin', or bad drinkin' and losin' it all. These are fairly fun and pleasant songs, but they border on being run-of-the-mill Nashville Top 40 style - let's call it cotton candy country...

The last half of the album grasps for something deeper, darker, and truer - and suddenly Luke Bryan has substance. "Harvest Time" is reminiscent of a Ryan Adams or John Mellencamp style ode to one's hometown. "Muckalee Creek Water" displays story-telling confidence worthy of Garth Brooks. "Tailgate Blues" has a familiar, folksy, hymn-like quality to it. You get the idea.

First half of album = cotton candy
Last half of album = meat and potatoes

FOR FANS OF: Any good looking Top 40 country act, Garth Brooks, Ryan Adams, John Mellencamp

TOP TRACKS: "Harvest Time," "Muckalee Creek Water," "Tailgate Blues"

FINAL GRADE = A-
on August 9, 2011
"Tailgates and Tanlines" is Luke Bryan's third full length studio album and the follow up to "Doin' My Thing," his breakthrough album from 2009. This is, in my opinion, the epitome of what a country album should be: great songs, good musicianship, and great lyrics that make you want to sing and dance, have fun, or lament over a broken heart. The diversity of songs here is impressive: Everything from your typical country twang to up-tempo party songs to beautifully written music with compelling story lines. "Country Girl (Shake it for Me)" gets things started and is the perfect opener: a driving bass drum will keep your head moving, and the perfectly layered electric guitars and banjos add just the right texture to keep things interesting. "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye" keeps up the pace with a catchy hook, an incredible melody enhanced by Bryan's classic southern drawl, and some great guitar work that keeps the tune moving along. "You Don't Know Jack"is a sad song about the perils of alcoholism. The lyrics are deep and meaningful and the song features a beautifully played acoustic guitar with underlying mandolins for added texture. "Tailgate Blues" has a great combination of blues-influenced-country guitars and is delivered with an amazing amount of passion. The last song, "I Knew You That Way" will leave you wanting for me. A beautifully arranged ballad with more well written lyrics is the perfect way to close out the album. If you're a fan of the country genre, or just like well written songs that will make you groove, you will love this. Highly recommended!
on October 21, 2012
This is by far Luke's best album yet..the popular songs are good but the other cuts are excellent. If you like Luke Bryan's music or new country this album can't be beat.
on August 21, 2012
I love EVERY song on this album. His song-writing is so creative, the music is great, his voice has awesome range. I own all of Luke Bryan's albums (including his spring-break lp's), and this is by far one of my favorites. I see some complaints that is music is too "party boy-ish", but I think that's part of the reason it's so enjoyable.
on January 12, 2013
I am so sick of buying albums with 1 or 2 songs on the album that I like and the rest are just fillers. This album has one song on it that my wife and I don't love. Every other song is a hit with us. This is by far the best album we have ever bought and we feel like we got our money's worth and then some.
on March 19, 2013
Rocks my country world down to the roots, amazing voice and fantastic music. Wanna sing and dance along with his music. Truly an asset to any CD collection. This CD is among my favorites along with such greats as George Strait, Conway Twitty and of course Waylon. Luke bring out the true country in my soul!
on August 24, 2012
I have grown up listening to country & rock music for 50 years and Luke Bryan has a way of making it that much better. I sincerely wish I could work for the guy, he is an an awesome person, song writer & knows how to move a person or crowd in a way that puts a smile on everyones face just by listening to his talent. :-)
on September 5, 2012
The whole album is really good. From start to finish I don't skip a track on this album. Highly reccommended to any country fan! Not to mention you can't really go wrong with something called "tailgates and tan lines".
on September 21, 2011
This is by far my favorite Luke Bryan album yet. There isn't a song on there that I don't like. Very fun songs that are great for listening to in the car or while cleaning. If you are debating about whether or not to purchase this album, do it, you won't regret it.
on September 18, 2012
This is Luke Bryan's best CD ever. The music is upbeat and fun. He is a wonderful singer. I had not heard too much about Luke Bryan before but I was very happy when the CD arrived. Loved almost every song!!!