Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on February 17, 2017
I truly enjoyed this film and generously give it 5 stars. Both Rush and Brosnan are superb for these roles and the differences of their personalities work to create something more than merely the sum of their efforts. Brosnan is my favorite in this film and he embraced the slightly over the top, morally flexible, full of himself and all too handsome diplomat. For me, this was a fun and fascinating film that I will watch at least several more times.

The one character that I did not feel that the correct actor was chosen was the role that Jamie Lee Curtis fulfilled. For whatever reason, she did not seem like she was feeling the role. She tries hard, but her persona just doesn't seem to fit in what the director was trying to accomplish. It seemed forced or something, just not right. I love her as an actress but just not in this one.

On the other hand, Leonor Varela who plays the role of political war scared Marta was ideal in her role. The tough friend and assistant in Jeffery Rush's shop was believable and created interest. For a time, I thought Brosnan's character would go after her too and I am glad they did not do that. She would have been cheapened and it would have been unnecessary for the film.

An enjoyable, interesting, fun and gritty film about the business and politics of the Panama Canal.
on December 27, 2012
I'll read anything John LeCarre has written and I've enjoyed him for years. The film treatments of his work have been uneven. I thought Russia House not so great; the recent Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy was well done. This treatment is well done and entertaining, and is authentic to LeCarre's world of espionage as being driven sometimes by fools and charlatans. Brosnan nails Andy Osnard, the burnt-out cynic who is now playing the game for his own benefit and Geoffrey Rush captures Harry Pendel, the hapless victim turned co-conspirator whose collaborations nearly trigger an unnecessary catastrophe. It's highly entertaining if you like the LeCarre world.
on May 24, 2018
This movie is so sexy and smart. It is getting kind of old now, but it doesn't act as if it does. We rewatched the original with Steve McQueen and Fay Dunaway and that one is good, but not nearly as good as this updated version.
on November 5, 2009
Pierce Bronson takes a slight turn from being James Bond- MI6's incorruptible/hero spy to being Andy Osnard-MI6's not so good guy/corruptible/ anti hero spy in this film.Beautiful locations, great supporting actors, interesting story,decent production values and alot of humor thrown in. Bronson plays the part pretty well as the sneaky MI6 agent exiled to Panama after screwing up in the field.when we watch him, we never think j"James Bond" in this film, we think Andy Osnard.

This is easily Geoffrey Rush's finest performance since Shine.His character Harry reminds me of "A Beautiful Mind" and "Mr Brooks"- I wont spoiling anything by adding why.

As far as the DVD itself: pretty good.features- I enjoyed the commentary as well as the alternate ending.Recommended to anyone who likes a decent spy thriller.
2 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon January 24, 2006
Here is a satire on the "real" life of secret agents. Pierce Brosnan portrays what amounts to a spoof of his James Bond character. Geoffrey Rush steals the show as a bumbling, Joe-nobody tailor who wants nothing more than to live a quiet life with his family and be left alone.

The humor in this movie is very subtle. It is a dry comedy that is the opposite of slapstick. What we end up laughing at is how it makes fun of the so-called "adventerous" life of a spy. Instead of the glamour of James Bond, we get the "ho-hum" reality of just how banal the life of a spy can be.

Working for the government myself, I could especially relate to the bit about the bureaucracy shoveling millions of $$ down the drain for the most frivolous of causes. I can state for the record that this sort of thing DOES happen.

A word of caution is in order about this film. The author spent time in the spy business as his profession. He ends up pulling no punches in mocking the Intel biz. People who work for the CIA, NSA, FBI and Pentagon are sure to be offended by this DVD. Just remember - it's all in good fun!
4 people found this helpful
on February 27, 2017
Not a pleasant movie. Brosnan was at the center of the movie, and he became very annoying all too soon.
One person found this helpful
on August 9, 2016
A lovable, amoral romp capitalizing on Human conceit and weakness. The plot has it all! avarice, lust, sloth, credulity, hubris....
Well acted by all the cast. I have watched this movie several times and always get something new from it.
on February 17, 2018
Rather funny moments in this movie. Worth a view.
on April 9, 2018
Excellent quality and timely delivery.
on December 12, 2017
What a despicable character. played by Brosnan. And the nude scenes added nothing to the story or character development. Acting by Rush was excellent, but what a tragic figure he had to play.