Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

Take a Bow
Format: Hardcover|Change

on August 5, 2012
Take a Bow by Elizabeth Eulburg was a fun and fast read. I thought the plot was interesting. Four students attend a very prestigious and challenging music school to follow their dreams. I enjoyed seeing through those four pairs of eyes about how it's like to attend a school for it's music and other programs ( drama, art, etc.)

You can really learn something from these four characters:

Carter: a guy who's been acting since he was a baby but is confused as to who the real Carter is.

Sophie: a girl who wants to become a mega super star no matter what it takes, even using and abusing her best friend, Emme.

Ethan: a guy who really likes music but messes up a lot in his relationships with his girlfriend and friends. And who has feelings for Emme but doesn't know what to do about it.

Emme: a girl who writes amazing songs but doesn't have the courage to sing them herself so she lets her best friend Sophie sing them.

So like I said, Take a Bow was a fun and fast read. I did enjoy it but I found myself annoyed more than a few times.

What I found annoying was Emme. She's the sweet and shy girl who everyone likes but I found her kinda annoying. Not only is her personality sweet and shy it's also quite dense. She doesn't really see how her "best friend" Sophie really uses and abuses her. Although she claims to Carter she is not unaware that Sophie only comes to her when she needs/wants something. Then when she finds out who the real Sophie is she claims to herself she knew that Sophie changed but made excuses for her. I didn't really believe that. It took almost until the end of the book for Emme to finally realize Sophie isn't her best friend anymore just a jealous girl.

Not only is Emme dense in one relationship but in two. She doesn't realize until later that Ethan is her real best friend and then later realizes he's in love with her.

Am I the only one who saw that Emme also kinda used and abuses Ethan? She doesn't want to be front stage so she and the guys in their band make Ethan front man but she's harsh to him when he messes up in the band. Still I do admit she was right in doing the Mount Emme thing since Ethan did deserve a tongue lashing but she does insult too. She also helps Sophie cheat by playing Ethan's song so Sophie has an edge. I was mad that Ethan didn't yell at her for that.

I do like Emme as a character but I found that she was to dense for me to really like her. I think she was also too high and mighty especially concerning Ethan.

I give this book three stars.
on July 22, 2012
Love the book cover and the description of the book and that is why I wanted to read it. However, I was very disappointed. The book lagged and I had to force myself to finish it. There was a lot of potential but the story just couldn't hold my attention. For one, Emme is such a wishy washy girl that it got on my nerves. I wanted to grab her by the shoulders and shake her. The strongest character I felt was Sophie. Yes, I know she has no soul and will take anyone down who stands in her way but I felt her determination and need to be a famous star. Too bad there wasn't more of Sophie in the book. I did like how the story was told by each character's point of view, but to me, there just wasn't enough dialogue between the characters.
on April 30, 2012
Let me just preface this by saying that I really did enjoy the book. The story unfolds with four perspective voices. There's Sophie, Carter, Ethan and Emme. Each chapter is from a different perspective character which still moves the plot along in a linear fashion. I liked way the story was told. The voice was always fresh and new because it would be four chapters until we came back to that character's chapter again. And I liked that I could see the story through not just one pair of eyes. It was very well crafted.

I do have to say though, that starting out, the only character I really liked was Ethan. I couldn't stand Sophie. She's so completely absorbed in her own talent and importance. She sees the world as her stage and all the little people help her reach her goals. She has drawn out a plan to become famous, which also includes those around her. She uses every one she knows to her own end like she has the right to because she deserves it. An example is her relationship with Emme. She is Emme's best friend, but I can't say the feeling is mutual. Emme is a songwriter and she needs Emme to be a part of the plan so Emme will write songs for her to sing. No one can write songs like Emme can or make Sophie sound as dynamic as Emme does with her music. Emme doesn't sing her own songs because Sophie has convinced her that she doesn't sing very well. As it turns out, Emme does have a decent voice, but then she becomes competition. Even Sophie's choice in boyfriends is calculated. She is dating Carter who is a child star and currently starring in a soap opera. She like dating Carter because they go out often to premiers and such and there are lots of photo ops to get her face out there and her name. Carter is just one of the stepping stones that will help Sophie achieve her dream of fame and success. I found nothing at all endearing about her, but the character was very well written.

Carter is a bit more sympathetic. He is going through an identity crisis realizing that he really doesn't enjoy acting. It is unfortunate because no one will allow him the opportunity to explore any other career path other than acting. In any of the school productions, he is always told he is going to be doing a scene from a play. Even when he tried to suggest another talent to showcase, he was basically shut down. He feels trapped by a future he no longer wants and has no idea how to extricate himself from the situation he has found himself in. He finds that he is not just acting on the set, but he's acting through life. Playing the perfect boyfriend, playing the perfect student, playing the perfect son. Catering to everyone else's expecatations of who he should be. He knows Emme since he is dating Sophie, but in one evening they have a meaningful conversation where he confides in her his personal conflict and she is supportive. He wants to get into an art program and she encourages him. They become friends, but that is just another thorn in Sophie's side. The one issue I had with Carter is that it took him so long to figure out what a manipulative, conniving girl he was dating. He, as it turns out, can also play the perfect doormat.

Emme and Ethan are in a band together along with Ben and Jack. I really got a kick out of the sections in the book dealing with the band, name - Teenage Kicks. Before every show, or at least major show, Jack would pump up the band by telling stories about the demise of the band and all the members there in. They were tragic tales. I like the banter and you could tell that these were four people who cared for one another and supported one another and as the end of senior year gets closer, the realization that the band will soon break up is a little sad, but such is the way of life.

Emme is a loyal friend which is certainly a quality I look for in a friend, but she is also handicapped by her friendship with Sophie. Everyone keeps telling her that Sophie is just using her, but she gets angry and defensive. She makes excuses, allowances, even bends the rules slightly all to help her friend out. Sophie knows that a few tears will get Emme to do whatever she wants and Emme just lets her. I want to shake her silly. She is a talented songwriter who doesn't want to shine in the spotlight. She'd rather be in the back ground where she is comfortable. She has believed all the things Sophie has been telling her for years, so she is not very confident in herself. It takes Ethan to break her out of that. It wasn't until she finally realized for herself what Sophie is really like that I really came to like her as a character. I found that she is not a push over as I had thought, but is actually very strong and can stand up for herself when the need arises.

Ethan is my favorite character. He's flawed, but he seems to be the most balanced out of the four. He is the front man for the group. He accepted the roll reluctantly, but became comfortable with the attention. He was dating Kelsey, but they split up. He was living a true rock star life style in that he was drinking before the shows, cheating on his girlfriend with the groupies if she wasn't there and generally engaged in all kinds of self destructive behavior. His relationship with Kelsey took place off page and before the present story takes place, but it was an on again / off again relationship that finally ended with them calling quits. It left him shattered and he found himself in a very dark place. He didn't care about himself or much else. It took Emme losing it to shake him out of his downward spiral. He is not proud of how he behaved, but he is reformed and would like nothing more than to regain Emme's trust. He is in love with her, but feels like she could never reciprocate his feelings. She made her feelings on his infidelity very clear. He contents himself with just being friends until Carter starts hanging around, although Carter and Emme just become good friends. He can still handle it though, until Emme starts dating another student in the music program and he loses it again. His feelings run deep and he just doesn't know what to do with them since he feels he has a snowball's chance in hell of Emme ever returning his feelings. He starts to self destruct again and it seems as if Emme is the only one that can help pull him back together.

I would like to say that Sophie redeems herself, that Carter finds himself, that Emme can see Sophie for who she is and Ethan as well and that Ethan will at least find some happiness. You're going to have to read the book to find out, though.
on August 10, 2016
While I appreciate the author's effort, the story went nowhere. It couldn't hold my interest, even though I am an avid reader. I would, however, read another book from the same author. I always give second chances.
on August 12, 2015
My daughter loves this author. We can't get enough of her books. My daughter is 13, and an average reader.
on October 22, 2015
I loved the book very much, the only things I would change are just a few grammer things, and gt he way it ended. I don't want to spoil it, so I'm just going to say that. God bless you all, though. :)
on January 7, 2014
It's amazing as are all of your books! I love the way readers get to hear all of the character's points of views. I finished in 3 days staying up till 12 every night and recommended it to everyone I know! Thank you for giving me a favorite book!
on January 19, 2014
My 14 year old granddaughter loved this book. She said she couldn't put it down and is now reading The Lonely Hearts Club!
on September 25, 2013
I love this book. My friend recommended it to me and said it would be a a great book for me. I love it
on June 1, 2012
"Whoever said that people don't change was full of it. That or they never had a friend who wanted to be famous."

Welcome to the New York City High School of Creative and Performing Arts, a place where talents thrive and dreams come true. That is, of course, if you work really hard, all the while managing not to crack under the insane pressure. Having a genuine talent for music (or any other form of art) also helps a lot, although it's not the only quality you'll need to possess in order to make a name for yourself. You'll also need persistence, confidence, and diligence. Most importantly, though, you need to believe in your dreams, keep your eyes on the goal and push through! Oh, and beware, some people will stop at nothing to become famous, even if it means hurting others in the process...

Extremely well written, clever, and delightful, Take a Bow by Elizabeth Eulberg is an outstanding book. A book with a beating heart and exhilarating spirit, and one so ridiculously enjoyable it will have you totally immersed in its plot within minutes (bah! SECONDS!) from the moment you start reading. Elizabeth Eulberg deserves a standing ovation for the way she managed to write a novel from four (yup, got that right, 4!) different points of view, without ever making it confusing or awkward. In fact, she really did an excellent job on that front! All four voices are original, authentic, vibrant and compelling. Each of the characters has a story to tell (and not only Emme, Sophie, Ethan and Carter, but also the absolutely hilarious supporting characters, Ben and Jack), they're all friends (at one point or another in the story), they all have distinctive voices and unique personalities. Each one of them is a talented student, passionate about music and/or art, and they all share one common goal: going big, or going home. Their lives intertwine with each other, and Eulbeg did a magnificent job capturing the dynamics of their relationships, and how their decisions and actions affected one another. It was outrageously good. Eulberg's characters are all phenomenal to begin with. They are so real and full of life, it's almost too easy to connect with them, cheer and feel for them. You kind of feel like you've known them your whole life, and you end up living through all the little victories and heartaches with them. I think that's what I loved about this book, its ability to pull me in and get me emotionally involved. It was remarkable!

I loved the premise, too. To be perfectly honest, I did not expect to be so fascinated by a book about a bunch of kids trying to become famous. I was sceptical. I'm not big on Glee and all the musical talent shows, I don't hate them - they just don't interest me all that much. I was prepared to lower my expectations, keep my mind open and, at the very least, try to get through this book without being disappointed. Imagine my surprise when I realized that I actually loved this book so much better than most of the paranormal or dystopian books I've read so far. It blew my mind, really. I won't even try to deny that. It was glamorous and inspirational, sparkly, charming, funny, entertaining, sweet! The chemistry between all the characters was crackling with intensity and emotions. I was amazed. Most importantly, though, this book was also quite deep and meaningful, it carried some profound messages about life, friendship, the importance of pursuing your dreams and never giving up. And, above all, being yourself and not conforming to other people's expectations. Take a Bow was all that and more. I loved how fun and entertaining it was, although the incredible complexity and depth of it is what ultimately made this book for me.

I strongly recommend reading this one, it's worth every penny you'll spend on it.