Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Take Shelter
Format: DVD|Change

on November 26, 2016
I have never written a review in my life but felt I had to here. Michael Shannon...and this guy has not won an Oscar why?? Movie was excellent but this guy is incredible! Also the first time I have binged watched an actor. I went from Midnight Special to about 5 other of his movies all weekend. Took me a few movies in to realize this was the same guy from Iceman and Superman. His presence onscreen just sucks you into all his characters. He literally steals every scene he is in. "There is a STOOORM' C'MING!". .. I reached that scene about 3 times. Probably one of the best actors of our generation and not many people even know who he is, which is probably a testament to how good he is. He is like the Steven Spielberg of actors. Every movie he is in was amazing. Then you realize HE makes every movie he is in amazing. Anyway, let me get off this guys nuts, and go back to watching some more of his movies.
14 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on July 1, 2017
One of my interns recommended this film to me. We have had discussions about reality vs fantasy/delusion, and this film directly addresses the issue in a subtle realistic way. The main character, Curtis, begins having vivid dreams about a terrible storm and acts on these dreams. At the same time he is aware that his mother's onset of paranoid schizophrenia occurred at the same stage in life as he currently finds himself. The tragic nature of the dreams and his possible loss of sanity motivates him to protect his family from this information. He attempts to deal with it through his doctor and professionals, but his preoccupation and odd behavior are evident and undermine his family relationships. He finally shares what is happening with his wife, who is not only supportive but therapeutic as well--her response is quietly heroic. What the audience experiences is the ambivalence that accompanies witnessing extraordinary private events. Events that are not accessible to one's peers. "A Beautiful Mind" does the same but without the ambivalence; John Nash, the protagonist of that film, lost the self-awareness necessary to know that his experience was a private event. He later trusts others to help him with this by asking if they can see possibly hallucinated characters. At the end of "Take Shelter" the madness vs vision dilemma appears resolved when Curtis' daughter and wife see the storm as well--the vision is now a shared experience. However, the last scene is vague enough that the audience can construe it as either another Curtis hallucination or as verification (see the many online discussions of the film). All in all this fascinating film depicts the complex emotions and ambiguity that accompany: "Is this real or am I crazy?" The answer is hard to say, but the interesting part is how you resolve it.

Dr. G
4 people found this helpful
on June 20, 2016
I don't think that I would have ever watched this movie if it wasn't for all of the great reviews. For the trailer wasn't enough to catalyze enough pressure in my index finger to click on the purchase button.

I also agree that this movie may not be for everyone. My dad, for instance, I am sure would not have made it beyond the fifteen minute mark. For if a movie doesn't begin with a car chase, a sex scene, or gunfire, his attention goes into sleep mode.

As for me, this movie activated so many inner storms! There was the cyclone of love and what it means to stick together, no matter what. The cyclone of the very fine veil between what is real and what is illusion. The cyclone of social conditioning and the pressure to align with the social web that surrounds us.

The beauty of this movie is its mystery. Its as if as the viewer, the hand of reason (mind) is gradually released and the one of family bond and love (heart) tightened and led forth. You start to feel for everyone involved. For the wife, who is doing her best. For the little daughter who is so cute that you cannot help but love her, and for the husband who wants nothing more than to protect that family that he loves so much.

Throughout the course, you are met with darkening clouds and lightning. Just as you don't know the severity of the storm that may be coming, you are never sure if the husband is experiencing the onset of mental illness or not. You don't know if what you are bracing for is real or not. You don't know if the beautiful family will stay in tact or be blown apart by the storms of the mind and heart.

It all leads to a very powerful point. A message the spiritual teachers and awakened beings have been pointing at from time immemorial. It has to do with the human condition and whether it has or ever had control.

This movie is cinematic poetry. I definitely appreciated my life, and those in it, so much more after watching it.

Enjoy!
on June 17, 2016
Loved this movie! I just happened to watch it only days after watching "Rapture" with Mimi Rogers. The similarities were striking. Both dealt with the "is it real?" phenomenon in regards to the experiences of the main characters. Both included a helpless child in the middle of the mayhem.

In the case of "Rapture" we are witnessing the fine line (if a line at all) between religious zeal and insanity, visions versus prophesy, and reality versus hallucination. In "Shelter" the line is between a father's hyper-concern for his family's safety versus paranoid mental illness. Both movies leave us still wondering if our characters were right all along or simply mad.

In a bigger picture sense, these movies make you think how many survivalist types and religious zealots among us are really insane. Or, conversely, we might wonder how many people, judged insane by the medical system, could really be prophets or psychics with abilities still beyond society's acceptance.
8 people found this helpful
on December 25, 2016
This is one of those movies that you either love or hate. Michael Sannon delivers a powerful performance as Curtis, a blue collar family man who begins having prophetic dreams on an upcoming super storm. There is a lot of symbolism and hidden messages in this film, so it is important to pay attention. Are these dreams real? Is going insane, or is it the fear of going insane? If you enjoy deep, though provoking movies, this is a great one.
on February 23, 2013
What is real? What gives us nightmares? Michael Shannon as Curtis LaForche gives a remarkable performance as a man who is grappling with reality. His mother, played by Kathy Baker, deserted her young family only to be found a week later rummaging through dumpsters for a meal. Committed to insane asylum as a paranoid schizophrenic Curtis and his devoted wife Samantha, Jessica Chastain, are terrified he is going down the same road. The filament that divides mental health vs mental breakdown becomes increasingly fragile. Or could Curtis be sane? Surely not, he is wetting the bed, acting increasingly erratic at home and work while making scenes in public. Shannon had me on the edge of my seat and Chastain made a very convincing loving but exasperated wife. The twists and turns made me gasp and the ending was the biggest surprise of all.

Great script and direction from Jeff Nichols. I will be a new follower of his work. Shannon you will recognize if you are a fan of Boardwalk Empire. Chastain will be on the Red Carpet tomorrow night for a second year in a row. Oscar's oversight but don't let it be yours.

Put the popcorn in a bowl, find a comfortable place on sofa and enjoy a terrific movie.
4 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on February 28, 2016
Interesting premise. I am a sucker for post-apocalyptic stories. "Take Shelter" relates the trials and tribulations of a man who sees trouble coming and tries to warn a circle of family and friends who regard his fears as unfounded and paranoiac. I can imagine that a lot of people in the so-called "prepper" movement get some strange looks and reactions from those they talk to. "Take Shelter" does treat its characters with respect and, surprisingly for such a topic, avoids the cliché of the nut case stockpiling guns and ammo for the "Zombie Apocalypse". Though the exact nature of what disaster is looming in the future, the fallout shelter does prove useful in a tornado. Money well spent, even if the wife didn't think so at first.
on December 7, 2017
As quirky as some films can get while remaining eminently watchable; not going to give anything away. My findings are that Michael Shannon needs to be in a lot more movies. Also, without doing any in-depth research, I got the impression that Micheal and Shea Whigham filmed this while on 'recess' from Boardwalk Empire.
One person found this helpful
on September 5, 2017
Two hours. Two hours to make a film that could've been done in half the time. There is no twist, it slowly develops the characters and you learn to love the family. It makes it obvious from the tone of the movie what will happen. To be honest, I don't really know how I feel about this movie overall. As it stands right now, I regret watching it. I feel like the writer was trying to hit a deeper meaning that I just can't relate to.
One person found this helpful
on February 21, 2017
This is one of those small budget movies that is really worth taking a look at. I have watch this movie two times, and have really enjoyed it. The ending will literally blow you away. It is a definite twist and you just don't see it coming.