Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One GNO for Samsung S9 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18SW_gno

on February 4, 2013
Sorry to go against the flow on the this one, but I found it hard to forgive the guy in the book. Some minor spoilers: Christian made Elizabeth chose between him and the baby, didn't look her up even once to see if she needs child support or help etc for FIVE(!) years, then showed up without thinking of the consequences of how disuptive his presence would be for this family, and said "now I am staying, whether you like it or not." And when he showed up and the child instantly was attached to him? And Elizabeth was still in love with him? I ask myself WHY? WHY would any women with self respect still be in love with someone so selfish and undeserving?! Oh and yes, during the years that they were separated, he was sleeping with many people because he hated himself and felt regret and guilty. I lost so much patience that I skimmed most of the book after a while.

The icing on the cake was that when he was thinking of taking legal action to see his child and found out that Elizabeth was evicted from her home during the first few years of her daughter's life, he thought it was evidence to use against her as being an unfit parent. SERIOUSLY??? This guy was rich, did not provide support and wants to use this as evidence! THIS is the guy that has everyone sighing?!

My other gripes of the book... it's great Elizabeth kept the baby, being a parent myself, I find great joy in motherhood. It's hard to beleive that a girl who worked against all odds to get to Columbia for undergrad would turn around and became someone who watches the clock at a bank for the work day to end. What happened to her ambition of becoming a lawyer to defend children's rights?

I can go on but you get the point. Sorry, the woman in this book had no backbone and the guy was just too selfish.
55 comments| 145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 4, 2013

O Gosh! I am having a mental breakdown... so much anger and emotions were sucked out of me and for me to really be a satisfying read there need to be a balance of good and bad and in this case the bad was heavier than the good part!

THIS IS NOT A ROMANCE BUT A TRAGIC STORY OF A MAN WHO ABANDONED HIS OWN CHILD FOR HIS OWN SELFISH REASONS! This story is of a child not to be wanted and a man who did not want to face his own mistakes, who did nothing and could have done nothing still, just because he was moved to work by his father' law-firm to the town where heroin and his child were living, he had some thoughts over it!

Christian: I could not warm up to him, even though the author was trying to make him redeemable. I felt his effort to change was forced... the attempt was not by any means sincere and empathic and the author did not succeeded by convincing me THAT CHRISTIAN REALLY WORKED HARD TO FIX HIS MISTAKES AND REUNITE WITH HIS CHILD AND A LOVE OF HIS LIFE ELISABETH! When he found out she was pregnant he wanted her to have an abortion or she must choose between him or to keep the baby, but without him... so how come he loved her then, if he even did not try to find a way and still support her...is that what they saying love is for good and bad????? Elisabeth decided to keep the baby and I respect her, but guess what he did???? whist she was pregnant he did nothing...apart from drinking and sleeping with other women and that was like A SLAP ON MY FACE!!! Were was his love for her????? in between another women's legs???? She was pregnant and sick and he was having a good time!!! During the party someone has told him he's a father, so he went to the hospital and so Elisabeth on the bed sleeping and her best friend touching her cheek and he made his own assumptions that she will be loved and take care of so he does not need to be there... HOW STUPID IS THAT! IF HE WAS A REAL MAN HE WOULD FIGHT FOR HER! He even did not wanted to see his new born baby! Then during those five years he still slept with many women... yeah, he loved her but did nothing to find them and his pathetic excuses for not wanting to intrude in their life.. for goodness sake he's the father of his child... by delaying the reunion he is hurting his own flesh and blood by denying his daughter her own father! He did nothing to support them financially another pathetic excuse.. yeah "if she wanted his help she could always find him on internet and call his number" WHAT A JOKE!!! Then when he so his daughter he ever so suddenly felt in love with her and again it felt like fake.. it was forced... and not realistic to love her so much after seeing her one time???? There need to be a bond between the child and a father to create such strong profound feelings and it needs time for this to grow... so I was not convinced on that account. Then he threatened her with the court if she did not cooperate and she nearly got a break down by his threats and then he asked her why she was so angry with her???? Then again when he bought his daughter an expensive doll for her birthday he rolled his eyes at the price... BUT EXCUSE ME!!! HE PAID NO MAINTENANCE WHAT SO EVER NOT EVEN A PENNY, GOT HIS PRECIOUS LAW DEGREE,LIVED IN LUXURY AT HIS OWN CHILD EXPENSES AND HE'S NOT HAPPY HOW MUCH MONEY HE NEED TO SPEND ON HIS DAUGHTER??? HE SHOULD SET UP A TRUST FOR HIS CHILD EVEN IF HE DECIDED NOT TO PARTICIPATE AS A FATHER ROLE HE COULD SIMPLY PASS HIS TRUST TO Elisabeth, but he did nothing of the sort, so for me its too little to late.

The only positive side of this story is Elisabeth... she worked very hard to create stabilisation for her daughter and even managed to get her own degree. She loved her daughter and did not trust Christian when he suddenly appeared out of the blue demanding impossible after how he throw her out of his life. Then there was her friend who stood by her even after when her daughter was 5 years old, he still was a very present figure in their life's and she should stick with him and not with Christian. I wish I could have a friend like Scott.

It is common in our days for people to expect someone else is going to clean up their mess, simply because they forgot to put a condom or did shit about the protection and far too many children became a victims from it.
33 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 22, 2012
I hate when I choose a book based on loads of five star ratings, but turns out to be a poorly written story, and such was the case for "Take this Regret." I loved the title, but that is where the good writing ended. I was intrigued by the premise of the story about a man who has to atone for abandoning his girlfriend when she discovers she's pregnant, but the author fell into the trap of telling me, not showing me how the story unfolds when the H shows up 5 years later. There was WAYYYYY to much melodrama here, with somebody bawling or dropping to the floor (think Jason Mesnick) on EVERY page, rather than the actions of the characters showing their regret and mistrust. I love a really great grovel and expected the h to really give him hell, but meh, she just goes with him to Sea World.
I also had problems with the unplanned pregnancy (which was never explained, they were both college seniors and each about to pursue law degrees for crying out loud, just HOW stupid is someone that can pass the bar!)
The fact that Matthew, who was the substitute father for 5 years in this child's life, just conveniently fades into the background when the author needed to get him out of the way so that Mr. Can't Be Bothered Hero can step in like a white knight, made the story lose realistic continuity for me.
And I didn't buy for an instant that a five-year-old would fall in love with a man that she has never seen before in a grocery store.
I'm sorry, but this just wasn't well written.
33 comments| 149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 18, 2017
Wow I was really excited to read this book to see how Elizabeth and Christian end up after reading the short story of what brought them together in the beginning. In the beginning, Elizabeth tells Christian that she is pregnant and he basically tells her she has to choose it's either him or the baby, and that she can't have them both. But for Elizabeth she doesn't believe in such a thing as getting ride of a baby, and chooses the baby over him. Well five years have now gone by and believe it or not Christian has felt sorry and regretted his horrible decision with Elizabeth every day. Christian now has the career that he always wanted so badly while Elizabeth, is stuck working an everyday job to be able to take care of her little girl, Lizzie. Even though it might not always be that easy, Elizabeth wouldn't have it any other way. That is until Christian shows up wanting to make things right and wanting to be a better person, only to turn Elizabeth's world upside down.

“Elizabeth.” A chill ran down my spine as his voice penetrated my ears, seeping through my body. The sound came like warmth rushing through my veins, leaving a shock of cold as it passed. My head snapped up, meeting his face, his blue eyes intense, emotion pouring from them as he looked from Lizzie to me. It was all I could do to keep from falling to the ground as I felt the world I had built come crashing down around me.

“Christian, no,” I said, snaking around him to give my debit card to the woman. “Elizabeth.” His voice managed to hiss and plead at the same time. “Just let me pay. Please.” I shook my head in stubborn petulance. “I don’t want your money, Christian.” Darkness clouded his expression, and he lowered his voice, inclining his head toward me. “I know, Elizabeth, you never have. You never even asked for what was yours.” Disarmed by the sadness I saw in his eyes, I found myself too shocked to resist any longer. I stepped back and self-consciously tucked my card back into my shorts pocket, terrified at how easily he’d just persuaded me.

I was all excited in the beginning until I became very mad and upset with Christian, forcing Elizabeth to choose like he did, but as time goes on it turned into a great story all the way through to a great ending.
This book was awesome, the characters were perfect and Lizzie is the cutest little thing ever. So five stars for me.
on November 29, 2014
This was a very emotional read, quite a few tears for me, even later on when I'm thinking about the characters. After knowing the background story in Lost To You that started so innocently, before everything went down the drain, it only enhanced what the characters are going through in this book. The breakthrough character in this book was Lizzie, the person that ties Christian and Elizabeth together forever. Christian, who thought a baby would ruin his life, turns out to be the most adoring and loving father ever. This is from someone who did not have affectionate or doting parents although Christian and his mother have since become close and he does have one parent he can rely on now. The most heartbreaking and heartwarming scenes in the book are with Christian interacting with Lizzie while Elizabeth watches on. Christian has no experience with fatherhood or children, yet Lizzie is his whole world now. While it is incredibly endearing, I also felt Elizabeth's pain watching him fawn all over Lizzie with unconditional love and adoration, something she had once been the recipient of so many years ago and but destroyed her when those promises were broken and then her life was forever altered down a different path. To see Christian so resolute about making sure Lizzie was the most important person in his life gave him so much purpose, but also saddened me that he felt that he did not have the right to claim Elizabeth in the same way, even though he wanted to, which is something she really did crave after feeling so discarded and betrayed. I didn't blame Elizabeth one bit for any emotion she felt, because she did have a good heart deep down inside, but was tainted with so much distrust and hardship. One thing that bothered me about Christian was his persistence in always getting what he wants, and that includes access to his daughter and the measures he was willing to go or the threats he would make and when the child custody issue came up (more than once), especially towards the end where he did make a phone call, then I was completely appalled by Christian. I know there is no end to the love of a parent for a child, but at the same time, I thought that Christian had grown up some and could delicately handle Elizabeth no matter how stubborn she could be. Her coping mechanism is to withdraw and ignore the world. She was in so much pain that sometimes her emotions clouded all rational thought and since she was so independent and used to caring for herself, it was only natural that her defense mechanism to protect herself, even at the expense of Lizzie, was for self-preservation. However, as we learned in Lost To You, they can try to be friends all they want, but that just doesn't seem to be what fate has in store for them. They have both definitely matured quite a bit and while I really do like Christian, I think he still has a ways to go to prove himself fully to Elizabeth, where he isn't going to lowball her and be with her when tragedy strikes. I couldn't get over their conversation on the beach about other relationships, I felt Elizabeth's anguish on the same level that she did, especially knowing her past of constantly being used by the men in her life rather than feeling loved or cherished. However, it's that honesty and truth that helps broken couples heal together and move forward.
on December 10, 2014
This book... THIS BOOK pulled such strong emotions out of me. It broke my heart, I fell in love with the hero (who I didn't think I would like in the first chapter) and I'm not sure I've ever been so frustrated with a heroine in my life... The first half of this book was a solid 5 star read for me, and it has so much potential to stay that way. I was in love with this book. Unfortunately the actions of a certain character made it difficult for me to stay in love with it.

Rewind five years: Christian Davidson is a man with a plan. He's got a girl he loves, they're both almost done with college and preparing for law school. Life is pretty much perfect. Until his girlfriend drops the bomb on him. She's pregnant. Christian has a callous, if not normal reaction. He doesn't want the baby, but he still wants Elizabeth. Elizabeth can't handle that. They part ways. Almost as soon as it happens, Christian knows it was a mistake.

As time passes, he realizes it was the worst mistake he's ever made. So many times over the past five years, he's wanted to find Elizabeth and his child. He knows he doesn't deserve them, but he wants them. Then fate steps in After moving cross country for a job that happens to be in Elizabeth's home town, he spots a little girl in a store. Who looks just like him. Christian is able to get to know his daughter, Lizzie, slowly. He is in love straight away and consumed with regret.

Even though Elizabeth irked me from the beginning with her actions and attitude towards Christian, I sympathized. She's been through a lot the last 5 years and had no help from him. I can't imagine how that feels. I know she loves her daughter and wants to protect her. As the story goes on, Christian steps it up. In a big way. There is no denying his devotion for his daughter. Even those on the outside who don't like him (some of her friends and family) recognize it. It's also fairly obvious he still has feelings for Elizabeth. Christian will do anything to get his family back. To keep his daughter in his life. He's missed so much already, he doesn't want to miss another moment.

Things between Elizabeth and Christian develop slowly. And she fights it every step of the way. Like I said earlier, the first half of this book, near perfect for me. 50-75%, I'm a little aggravated, but it's still great. That last 25%... there is this part that upset me so much, my husband asked me if I was going to `rage quit' my book. I wanted to throw my kindle. I sent my friends angry texts and VM's. This heroine infuriated me like no other. I haven't been this upset with a fictional character in the longest time- especially one I'm supposed to like.

So in the end, as much as I adored my Christian and his relationship with Lizzie, I couldn't even get all that excited for the HEA. I was too upset still. The writing in this book is fantastic. It has a hero you will fall head over heels in love with. I know so many friends who adore this book and don't have such major issues with the heroine. It's just something that rubbed me the wrong way. I might eventually go back and do prequel novella/second book, but I think I need some time to cool off before then. I'm still so upset with Elizabeth I can't see myself enjoying them this minute.
on October 14, 2014

There are some mistakes we make that we will regret
for the rest of our lives.
For Christian Davison, it was the day he betrayed Elizabeth Ayers.
For five years, Christian has regretted the day he walked
away from his family and will do anything to win them back.
Can Elizabeth forgive someone who has committed the unforgiveable?
Or are there some wounds that go so deep they can never heal?

I read the prequel first; and I was content with that but when I found there was another part to it, I squeeeeeeled!!

Its 4 years later from Lost To You and Christian and Elizabeth are going strong. They are not living together but both are in school, spending all their free time together. Then one day Elizabeth finds out she is late, she freaks out but is happy in a way, can't say the same for Christian.
Christian is upset, a child does not fit into his plans, he is about to graduate and does not need something holding him back and states he will support her with the abortion. Ohhhh NO!
After an awful fight, where Christian resorts to his selfish ways - Elizabeth and Christian break up.. Elizabeth continues with her pregnancy.
One day, Christian sees Elizabeth, 9 months pregnant or so, looking sick in a grocery store and doesn't do anything. Just practically runs out!
Christian turns to women after women and a lot of alcohol until one night at a party he is being congratulated on becoming a father.
He makes it to the hospital, however leaves without Elizabeth knowing he was there.

Five long years pass and Christian has moved from NY to San Diego when one day he is at the grocery store and sees this beautiful dark haired blue eye child so similar in features to his own. There is this magic connection that has them both not being able to look away..
After some digging he finds out it's his child. Now he is ready to be a dad, however Elizabeth is not ready for him to be back in her life, he has hurt her deeply.
This book broke my heart. Page by page it ripped it apart..

" Never would I take what I’d been given for granted. I’d never look at her through indifferent eyes, listen to her fears and worries with distant ears, or touch her with impassive hands. Elizabeth was a gift, and Lizzie was my treasure. I would adore my family until the day I died.

No longer would I live in regret, striving to make up for what I’d done. I’d live for the day, each one set out and purposed to be the best father and husband I could be. And no matter what life brought our way, I would never walk away."
on August 5, 2016
What a beautiful yet painful story to read. So much anger and hurt held inside for 5 years festering and growing in a woman, Elizabeth, who could not or would not forgive the man who had wronged her so badly. A foolish young man, Christian, who, in a spur of the moment decision, makes the wrong choice and is forced to live with his regrets and without the woman he loves for 5 years and beyond. A beautiful little girl, Lizzie, so full of joy and innocence with love to give everyone including the daddy who gave her up. This is a poignant love story that makes you feel like you're riding on a runaway train with no way to get off. When it crashes, it almost destroys them all. Christian has so many regrets and is losing hope of ever being forgiven, as Elizabeth has hardened her heart filled with the fear that he will leave her again. This is a story of love & loss, betrayals that are unforgivable, regrets that threaten to drown them in their sorrow, trust that is destroyed in such a way that it may never allow love to grow again in her broken heart. Sometimes when two people are in love, the pain they cause each other is too overwhelming and shattering to get past...to ever allow themselves to trust again. Take This Regret will stir emotions deep inside you and make you pray for this couple to find their way back to each other...even knowing this will be a near impossible feat.

The downside for me is that the angst in this story went on for a little too long. It began to be a little too much for me to accept as Elizabeth withheld her forgiveness from Christian over and over again. She almost lost all my sympathy as I began to feel like she was punishing him more than anything else. I gave this book 4 hearts as I enjoyed the alternating POV between H/h, allowing us to hear both character's thoughts and feel their anguish and genuine emotions. The emotional turmoil is real and beautifully written for both characters. If the turning point in this story had come sooner, it would have been a 5 star read for me.

Reviewed at [...]
on July 29, 2016
4.5 stars.
There were a lot of components to this book. There was good, bad, heartbreaking and wonderful things that will twist your heart, and things that will for sure make you mad. The boy that Christian was at the beginning of this book left a lot to be desired. I did not like him one bit. In the first book, I adored him and who he was trying to be. He was making promises and opening his heart. I thought, this boy, I adore him. That first chapter he was so cruel and stupid! He made the biggest mistake of his life and five years later he was still left dealing with the ramifications of that horrible decision. I thought his guilt was real, I loved the emotion and pain that was expressed. I believed it and the author did a remarkable job of reflecting that throughout the entire book. Christian wasn't saying it in a way like he was the victim, and poor me, it was more like, I'm an ass and I really screwed up. He knew it and continue to own up for it. I respected him for that. It didn't take away what he had done, but he was trying to change and make right for the present and future. Elizabeth, was a bundle of mess. She loved and hated Christian and I can't blame her for that. He had captured her heart six years prior, broke her completely, but had also given her the best and most treasured gift of her life. Those emotions are easily contained and don't go away over night, or just disappear. I thought her feelings and everything that she struggled with was very real and heartfelt. It didn't mean that she would drive me crazy sometimes, because, yes she did. I wanted her to just see him for the man that he was turning into, but once you heart has been betrayed you can't just do that. It was real and honest, and the author reflected that. It wasn't just an easy fix. There was mistrust, hurt, and anger there that had to be dealt with. I felt that it was in some of the most honest and real ways. It was a beautiful story that broke my heart and gave me hope. I thoroughly enjoyed this story and little Lizzie stole the book! She was beautiful!
on October 22, 2013
"A love as intense as the one we shared, one that had not dimmed through years of betrayal but had only grown, was terrifying. We had the power to destroy, to devastate and ruin, to lay the other to waste."

If you enjoy reading second-chance stories...this is the one for you! These characters will stay with you for a long time after you finish the book.

Christian and Elizabeth dated all through college. They had BIG plans together for their future. One night, Elizabeth tells him she is pregnant. This was NOT in his plans. He made her choose. She chose the baby. And she never looked back.

The story is told in both Chrisitan and Elizabeth's POV. I loved how the author wrote this. Christian isn't the jerk you may believe he is at the beginning. You learn what the years after were like for him. How you couldn't move past his decision. How he hurt. How he loved..for both Elizabeth and the baby.

"She was mine, had always been, and I'd always been hers. Despite what I'd done, the wounds I'd inflicted, she had always been mine."

Five years later, Elizabeth and her daughter have moved forward. Elizabeth is guarded of her emotions. Elizabeth cannot move on with other relationships as no one ever feels like Christian.

"Even though it had been wrong on so many levels, it stil had been completely right--because we were right."

Christian and Elizabeth of course reunite in a way that is painful and hopeful.

"She closed her eyes and took two steps back, uncertainty and fear flowing from the corners, exposing a wounded heart that had forgotten how to trust but hadn't forgotten how to love."

One of the many reasons I loved this book so much is because there was no external factors in keeping these two apart. The story is entirely about them. It is about trust (and OMG does Christian do everything, and anything to earn Elizabeth's trust). It is about the love of two people. It is about correcting the wrong and forgiveness.

"But I'm tired of running, Christian, tired of running from the only man I've ever wanted. if you can somehow forgive me...I want to find a way to forgive you...I want to let you love me and not be afraid when you do."

The journey of the Christian and Elizabeth is tender. It is not rushed. You will fight for this family. You will want the HEA!

"No longer would I live in regret, striving to make up for what I'd done. I'd live for the day, each one set out and purposed to be the best father and husband I could be. And no matter what life brought our way, I would never walk away."