Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: It Takes A Thief (Amazon Exclusive Version)
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ryley Walker Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on October 14, 2010
The Thievary Corporation is undoubtedly the biggest name in the Lounge genre. They're in a league of their own in downtempo music, & started a new wave of electronic lounge music in the late 90s with their unique sounds & productions, with releases such as DJ Kicks, The Mirror Conspiracy, Richest Man in Babylon, Cosmic Game & Radio Retaliation.

'It Takes A Thief' is the best of The Thievary Corporation. It strings together their biggest, most successful career-defining productions, with 16 hand-picked songs, all featured on one compilation. Highlights include massive hits, such as 'Warning Shots', 'Sweet Tides', 'Satyam Shivam Sundaram', 'Until The Morning', 'Sound The Alarm' & 'Lebanese Blonde'.

If you're new to their sound & admire good lounge music, you'll love every bit of this album. Over the years, they've produced some amazing tracks, and most of them are on this one.

Grab your copy. For this price, you cannot go wrong, with such fabulously produced, quality lounge music in one CD. A Must Buy!!
on May 21, 2011
First hearing this in Barnes and Noble, I asked the attractive clerk what the name of "that band was" (the track that was playing I found out later was "Radio Retaliation") and she offered me this CD to inspect. I took a chance (usually waiting just to download it online), bought it, and went home.

I should probably mention that I've been accused of playing this too much, that's how much I love this.
The mix of tracks is perfect, and seems to fit any mellow mood, whether it be chilling watching the sun set on a warm breezy day, or chilling with the girl while driving down the freeway...Thievery Corporation baffles me in how they have mastered the "Lounge" sound so perfectly and have eclipsed numerous stereotypes about this genre of music (of which they truly define), while it baffles me that they have remained under the mainstream radar with their music which can at times really be considered art. that's not to forget the numerous artists (especially Notch on the opening track "Amerimacka", my favorite) who have contributed to this work.

All in all, a solid 5/5 and a permanent fan of Thievery Corporation. listen to this and buy it. You'll become a fan too.
on October 3, 2013
Attending their live show last month at the Greek Theatre at Mount Hollywood, I was asked how I heard about Thievery Corporation. Since the group never signed with a record label, there is no promotion of the group, no bus banners, no billboards, no promotion by Viacom on MTV. All of their fans heard about the cooperative through word of mouth. In my case, it was a co-worker who tuned me into their sound. And what is the Thievery Corporation sound? This is what you would like to be listening to at a coffee house or cafe while talking with your friends or your loved one. It's that simple. This Amazon-exclusive compilation (at a great introductory price) is the perfect way to get their flavor.

Thievery Corporation cycles through female vocals, reggae, and a smattering of rap guest vocalists. My favorite singer is Lou Lou, her singing on "Sweet Tides" is wondrous. Their most famous track is "Lebanese Blonde", sung by Pam Bricker. Someone call Heisenberg, many tracks reference drug use, which is not uncommon if you're listening to the group from an Amsterdam kaffee haus.

Once you have these tracks rolling around in your mind, I recommend following up with their last album, 2011's "Culture of Fear". The album has a powerful vibe on how we have changed our lives to live by terror alerts and homeland security. As Mr. Lif notes in the title track:

Seems to me like they want us to be afraid, man
Or maybe we just like being afraid
Maybe we just so used to it at this point that it's just a part of us
Part of our culture
Security alert on orange
It's been on orange since '01 G,
I mean what's up man
Can't a brother get yellow man

If you like what you hear, try "The Richest Man in Babylon", "The Mirror Conspiracy", and "The Cosmic Game". You won't be disappointed.
on October 1, 2010
Another example of Artists or Record companies desperation to milk their products. They really hope that consumers don't read the discription of their rehash products to trick them to buying another CD. If you are new to the TC experience, then you will love this Collection, but I would recommend just buying all their CD's instead. You'll love everyone of them.
on June 12, 2011
Please understand, Thievery Corp is one if not my favorite band!!
That said, i begrudgingly gave 3 stars for this poorly executed "best hits" I dub- "Stealin from yoself den gettin caught". If you have none of their works, this has some great songs as a teaser. Though for such highly revered song fixers, this CD
is a total disappointment. About a third is added songs that are not that great,
and the detail/ recording on this CD pails when compared to the original songs on their other albums. So, start here if you need to; but it will be an extremely pleasant surprise to move onto the preceding works by Thievery!!!
on June 14, 2011
I'm not exactly a music snob nor expert so bear that in mind. I'm also a nerd- I listen to a lot of French music. It's ok, even the French make fun of me. But, I do love the Hotel Costes and Gotan Project CDs which this is remniscent of. It's great background groovy/lounge music.
on January 21, 2012
This nicely-priced collection of Thievery Corporation features music from 2000-2010, starting with songs from their second album The Mirror Conspiracy. Strangely there are no songs from the band's excellent debut, Sounds from the Thievery Hi-Fi.

If you don't have any Thievery Corporation in your library, this compilation is a good place to start. Laid back, trip-hop and dub-influenced lounge music creates a nice backdrop for parties or late night conversations. The highlight of the album for me is the sitar-laced Lebanese Blonde. The Amazon-exclusive version appears to add one track not available on the CD, Sol Tapado, from the album The Cosmic Game.

Well worth the price, this compilation will be a great intro to the downbeat sounds of Thievery Corporation.
on May 12, 2013
This is another fav I have added to my collection. I saw this group in concert and wow what an amazing experience. Now very happy to have found a great place to buy their music on Amazon. If you like well produced music, and great voices to the music, then I would suggest picking this one up. Great to turn up loud and dance to as well.
on January 31, 2011
Album: 'It Takes A Thief'

The Thievery Corporation is one of the the biggest names in the lounge genre since the late 1990s for their string of influential hits. They are probably best known to many for the song 'Lebanese Blonde' which was featured on the "Garden State" movie sound track.

They're in a league of their own in downtempo music, and started a new wave of electronic lounge music in the late 1990s with their unique sounds, with releases such as DJ Kicks, Richest Man in Babylon, The Mirror Conspiracy, and Radio Retaliation. Thievery Corporation is a Washington, D.C.-based recording artist and DJ duo consisting of Rob Garza, Eric Hilton, and their supporting artists. Their music style mixes elements of dub, acid jazz, reggae, Indian classical, Middle Eastern, 'World', and Brazilian (such as bossa nova) with a lounge aesthetic. (wikipedia)

'It Takes A Thief' album is the summarization of The Thievery Corporation's best work, which was probably a difficult task as they have more hits than what can fit on a single album. The result is that it appears that they decided to go with the most popular hits opposed to perhaps their "best" work alone. The best part about this album is that new fans get a taste of some of their best stuff, including 'Sound The Alarm' and 'Warning Shots'.

This album is a fantastic mix of ear candy, vocalists, world fusions, and groovy beats. The shortcoming is that nothing new is offered here, but even if you've heard all the tracks before, it's still easily a worthwhile album for lounge fans. These thieves will steal your ears ..
on January 26, 2015
Being introduced to the band, this album has captivated me from the first listening. I love the worldly influence that seems to spice each track in different ways, even though there's great coherence overall. I understand it's a Best Of (with a few additional tracks), so fans of the band might stay clear, but as an introduction, it's perfect.