Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 29 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 85 reviews
Jane Monheit has an absolutely beautiful voice, clear and distinct and perfectly suited to the great jazz standards selected for this album. It's a great album, with songs from popular movie musicals of the 1930's and 1940's, songs that I've heard my entire life but find timeless in their beauty.

She is supported here by some excellent studio musicians, all of whom are highlighted in the accompanying booklet, and has one duet on the album - I Won't Dance, with Michael Bublé.

This is my second album of hers, and I love listening to both of them (Come Dream with Me being the first).
on March 31, 2005
I saw JM's TV concert featuring many of the same songs, on PBS. The reviewer who said she received polite applause must have missed the standing ovation at the end.

Jane opened the San Jose Jazz Festival with a concert on August 11, 2005. About half the songs in that concert are on this CD. She does a different version of "Honeysuckle Rose" here than on her other CDs. She is versitle, musically adept, and despite critics who call her unemotional, her version of "Over the Rainbow," is heartrending. This is her best solo CD to date.

My sister and brother-in-law attended the SJ concert with me. They had never heard Jane before and became instant fans. He especially liked Jane's rendition of Jobim's "Waters of March," which is on her "Come Dream with Me" CD.

I don't know why so many reviewers complain that Monheit isn't Ella or Sarah -- who is? They were great, but Monheit has her own style which is completely different. Other reviewers lump her in with all the other pretty, young jazz-pop singers around -- Norah Jones, Tierney Sutton, Diana Krall. Monheit isn't like them, and for that matter they are not like each other. Let's take each singer for who she is and what she does, and not who she isn't.

Monheit fans should also look for Mark O'Connor's Hot Swing Trio "In Full Swing," with Jane and Winton Marsalis guesting on several tracks. She's outstanding on all of them.
VINE VOICEon December 2, 2016
What a phenomenal singer. A really special and beautiful voice. I have heard her sing before without really realizing who she was but I decided to get this album.

Great stuff here. She is a real talent and deserves a wider audience.
on September 28, 2015
I heard "In The Still of The Night" online via the "Martini in the Morning" stream. Her vocal and the arrangement are outstanding. The rest of the CD is good too, but for me "Night" overshadows everything else.
on March 6, 2014
Jane Monheit is known for her classic interpretations of the great old tunes. She does not disappoint on this album. A high point is her duet with Michael Buble. Their voices are surprisingly well-matched. I continue to be a little irritated with her tendency to add unnecessary vocal flourishes to some of the songs but her voice is always pitch-perfect and her love for the great old tunes is obvious.
on October 22, 2014
Great album, great vocalist. I really love the Surrender Ablum but this one is really good too. Hopefully Jane will not follow Dianna Krall down the road to experimentation and start producing lousy albums.
on December 27, 2013
Jane has taken some great standards and made them her own. It is great to hear a new interpretations of the standrds we love so much. She has a beautiful vocal instrument and knows how to use it. If you like JaneMonheit I am sure you will also like Ann Hampton Calloway. Both of these women are worth hearing over and over again.
on November 3, 2006
If I would hear an angel, I think will sound like the voice of Jane Monheit. I really enjoyed the CD, best the romantic songs: In the still of the night my favorite.
on November 18, 2012
This was a good price on this c.d.
I love this singer, her vocal range and timbre are similar to Maureen McGovern, who I also love
Jane does a lot of very contemporary jazz vocalise work even on the standard tunes
on August 1, 2009
The 1st Surprise

Tonight I was listening to jazz while I was ironing & for some strange reason I put on Bradford Marsalis Trio "Bloomington" which is a live CD from 1993. Rather abstract jazz with sax, bass, & drums. As I finished the shirts the CD ended & I put on Jane Monheit "Taking a Change on Love". All of a sudden the bass came alive through the speakers & then her voice in perfect pitch. What great production! I went back to "Bloomington" where I read in the inner notes "To obtain more wood sound from the bass, this album was recorded without usage of the dreaded bass direct." Why try to get the sound of the wood when all you get is the bass in the background? I wonder how "Taking a Change on Love" was recorded because I hear everything. The difference between these 2 recordings is more than a "Live" versus a "Studio" recording.

The 2nd Surprise

Jane Monheit '"Making a Change on Love" must have some great reviews, lets see what is in Amazon.com. When I entered the site I was surprised by some of the negative reviews that state she is all outer beauty & not a real jazz singer. One reviewer wrote that she was the Britney Sears of jazz. Some one pitch me, there are all sorts of jazz styles in this CD, I hear more than just notes, she is swinging, jumping from low notes to high, & scatting. "Honeysuckle Rose" is quick & clean, "Do I Love You?" is totality emotional with smooth strings to match. The back up musicians are top notch including Michael Buble on "I Won't Dance". The 2 sax players Donald Harrison on Alto & Joel Frahm on Tenor are well matched on "Love Me Or Leave Me". Jane Monheit wrote about why she sang these songs in the middle of the inner notes: her love for old MGM movies & their songs by the great jazz singers. Yes this is more than jazz, its jazz from the movies.

The 3rd Surprise

I was first told about Jane Monheit from a fellow high end stereo via e-mail. He is a Royal Canadian Mounted Police Officer in the Hudson Bay area who loves jazz vocals. I guess this type of music keeps him warm at night. This was my 4th CD of hers, I believe I picked up her music as time went along but stopped at this CD. Maybe I was surprised by the movie themes & not the "Real" jazz, but after tonight I am going to start where I left off & pick up her newer work.