Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 175 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 208 reviews
on May 11, 2017
Excellent. All books written by Pema Chodron are fabulous.
on February 5, 2017
Now if you're not in the eastern philosophy or Buddhist philosophy and there's probably might not be the book for you.

Pena is a mother and a grandmother who in the middle of her life took up Buddhism and has been doing it for many decades. She's also the abbess in the Buddhist monastery in Nova Scotia Canada.

I love Pena.
on January 21, 2015
Here Pema Chodron gives us the steps to break our habits and from the beginning I was able to use the steps. Right now I’m working on getting rid of old habits and thinking as they no longer serve me. I’m tired of living the stories and not living life. As I’ve been breaking these stories for the last year people thought something was wrong, but there isn’t I’m waking up. Now I see the gaps in this stories and with this book I was able to take it to a new level and break some habits I hadn’t been able to break before. I highly recommend this book to people.
on March 25, 2014
Pema Chodron is very wise and there is a subtle acknowledgment throughout the book that she has held on to fear and bad habits and learned to break free. This book is a simple manual on breaking free. A process that one must renew on a regular basis, as you encounter triggers that shut you down from compassion and living a full life. I will re-read this short book in parts to practice her helpful tips. I also really loved her caution about wanting to do good in the world - to be careful you really understand yourself and how you react in day-to-day interactions with those who may need your help. All in all, a great read.
on November 9, 2014
Simple. Profound.
"So, we start by making friends with our experience and developing warmth for our good old selves. Slowly, very slowly, gently, very gently, we let the stakes get higher as we touch in on more troubling feelings. This leads to trusting that we have the strength and good-heartedness to live in this precious world, despite its land mines, with dignity and kindness. With this kind of confidence, connecting with others comes more easily, because what is there to fear when we have stayed with ourselves through thick and thin? Other people can provoke anything in us and we don’t need to defend ourselves by striking out or shutting down. Selfless help, helping others without an agenda, is the result of having helped ourselves. We feel loving toward ourselves and therefore we feel loving toward others. Over time all those we used to feel separate from become more and more melted into our heart."
on November 15, 2016
We can improve our suffering and therefore the suffering of others. It is like the stock market and all of life. There are ups and downs, highs and lows. Just when you think you fixed everything, crashes and burns. The lesson may be resilience and getting back on track easier and easier with each upheaval.
on October 12, 2016
Very nicely written. Easy to read great insights It really made me think and implement changes in my life that help with relaxation
on November 20, 2015
Pema Chodron always delivers a great read on how to free oneself from the past.
on October 29, 2015
Pema, as usual, inspires us to do the impossible, and makes it seem possible - turn from self-centered living, to truly compassionate living, freeing ourselves and others from suffering. A great and practical approach to bodhicitta...
on July 28, 2013
Excellent Buddhist book applying the principles to everyday problems related to not being awake or present to life. Many habits are fueled by desires and fears which are a result of the story we tell ourselves which at closer inc
Edition is only a fantasy. Chord on does an excellent job of illuminating the basic Buddhist practice in a non sectarian manner that can be digested by even the non religious. I have read other books by Chodron and admire her ability to write about everyday challenges and apply Buddhist practice in a non threatening and simple way.