Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 107 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 167 reviews
on January 13, 2014
I'm 67, old hippy, and I concurrently read both books about the events leading up to the festival: Elliot Tyber's Taking Woodstock and Michael Lange's The Road to Woodstock. And I watched both movies: 'Taking Woodstock' and the doc '3 Days of Peace and Music', and I would try to keep the dates of everything constant as skipped from books to movies; There are many events in the movie 'Taking Woodstock' that didn't really occur and Michael Lange's partner in Woodstock is in '3Days of Music and...", in 'Taking Woodstock, Artie Cornfeld appears twice but is not really at all like Artie. It was really fun, however, to follow the trail to Woodstock through all these mediums, and conclude that it was all worth doing, and I love the movie so much, it takes me back to that time; I was on the west coast doing the same thing, turning on, tuning in, grooving on the sounds and camradery with friends. Where have all the flowers gone? Long time passing. I loved the movie Taking Woodstock, but keep in mind it is not about the concert, it's about events leading up to it. People who didn't live back then may not be able to relate to it. I think this movie is about 30 years in coming.
on July 25, 2013
This movie is not exactly a true story. Don't get me wrong. A lot of it IS true but there was some artistic licsence taken, also. For instance...Elliot WAS responsible for bringing Woodstock Ventures to his home town but he did NOT introduce Micheal Lang to his neighbor, Max Yasgur. These are trivial concerns. Watch the movie for it's entertainment value and you won't be disappointed. It's a charming and heartfelt comedy, that if you just let your mind go, will bring you right back to that wonderful summer in 1969.
One thing in particular, that I just HAVE to mention, is that there is one scene in the movie that is the most REAL depiction of an acid trip, that I have EVER seen, committed to film! And if you've ever taken really good acid, like what we had back in the 60's, I'm sure you'll agree with me. Nothing "over the top" or unbelieveable hallucinations, that are so often depicted in movies. This is just a great trip! Very natural. Ang Lee nailed it! (The scene takes place when Elliot first gets to the festival site and meets up with a couple of kids who are just sitting by their VW minibus. They drop acid, crawl inside the minibus and...bye bye reality.)
It's not vital but it is a good idea to watch "Woodstock: Three Days Of Peace And Music", before you watch this movie. Then you can appreciate little things, like the "nun throwing the peace sign", "Wavy Gravy walking around" or the "port-a-san man interview", etc.
For those who have never seen this movie, I'd like to add that there is NO re creation of the actual concert in this movie. So don't expect any. This is a story about how the concert came to be - period. Enjoy!
on September 23, 2016
More than a little odd but a very accurate depiction of that era as I see it. I was a "hippy" in San Francisco at the time... I did not go to Woodstock because I was broke, very pregnant (my son was born the day after it ended) and didn't hear about it until after it was over... but the characters were as totally accurate as I could imagine. I think it helps other generations understand the era.

I KNEW people very much like some of the main characters in that film. For example the guy who was a burnt out PTSD Vietnam vet? At least 2-3 of my former roomates would have met that description and acted a lot like him. The lady with the big leather hat whose boyfriend was one of the producers (the guy who knew Eliot) ... acted just like a women I used to live with, who even had that same hat. The couple from San Francisco Eliot took an acid trip with? Just like people I knew in SF. etc etc etc.
on June 14, 2016
GREAT oddball flick. Don't expect anything from the Woodstock concert. It's a movie about the experiences of some people that were directly involved with the use of lots of artistic license by the creators/director. Very unique. First viewed on cable, then bought it about a year later, and still watch it once in great while, and it's always a fresh return. By the third watch, I loved it.
on October 30, 2016
This is an excellent film based on a real event. I didn't attend Woodstock or any similar concert, but the atmosphere the film depicts seems close to reality. It is a comedy with some wonderfully drawn characters and excellent acting. We've seen it twice. Beware of nudity, drugs and strong language.
on December 13, 2014
Somewhat thin on plot but a lovely tribute to Woodstock as an event and to the generation that inspired it. The film starts very realistically in the here-and-now and then becomes progressively dreamier and "looser," both structurally and visually. That has the visual effect of acknowledging that "if you remember Woodstock, you weren't there." But viewers stay grounded in two stories -- of a young man's coming-of-age, and of the thousand petty details of everyday life that go on while the legendary event unfolds in all its enormity. Beautiful story-telling. Ang Lee is my favorite director, and although *Taking Woodstock* is not my favorite of his movies, I recommend it highly.
on June 21, 2016
Didn't like Henry Goodman. A lot of the main characters were caricatures. I'd rather see a documentary about the festival and not a poor depiction. To be fair, I think it is nearly impossible to do justice to the festival on screen. This film is a comedy that didn't work.
on January 13, 2014
The movie was entertaining and fun. It did tend to drag on a little bit in parts. Also it would have been nice to have some more character development with the more colorful characters. You can definitely tell they had fun making this movie though. The set was very well made. It reminds me very much of the early Bonnaro festivals or the Phish concert at Coventry (I wasn't alive during the actual Woodstock unfortunately). The scene with the police officer escorting Elliot to the concert was great!
Overall though, I felt the movie was more of a coming of age for Elliot (Dmitri Martin) with the very interesting Woodstock as the backdrop.

-d
on December 21, 2016
Watch the actual footage in separate movie and you'll make sense of what you are seeing after watching Taking Woodstock. This is a great true story, both funny and touching. AWESOME
on September 9, 2010
Ang Lee's "Taking Woodstock" is a gloss on both the epic 1969 event and the epic 1970 documentary, of interest primarily to nostalgists. Taking place on the periphery of the event, literally and figuratively,the film has a cipher where the main character/performer should be. Elliot Tiber, the real life individual, must be more interesting than Demetri Martin plays him, else why make a movie based on his experiences? Interest by association?
At slightly more than 2 hours,this film could have been judiciously pruned or at least focused on more provocative supporting characters such as the festival hustler played slyly and seductively by Broadway and "Glee"'s Jonathan Groff and the most macho drag queen ever, incarnated by Broadway and Hollywood's uber actor Liev Schreiber. Imelda Staunton's thoroughly repulsive mother figure doesn't do the film any favors either.
The best that can be said for this film is that it continues Lee's sympathetic portrayals of gay characters ("Wedding Banquet", "Brokeback Mountain").