Beauty Best Books of the Month Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ultimate Hits by Garth Brooks PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon drwho drwho drwho  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

The Children of Hurin
Format: Hardcover|Change

on December 16, 2016
Written in the style of The Silmarillion, it is an early tale of Middle Earth. Once you get through the introductions, the actual story starts and it's quite entertaining.
on April 30, 2017
The King of Epic journeys!!
on April 10, 2017
As Advertised
on September 11, 2017
Gift
on December 5, 2016
JRR Tolkien ! What else do you need to know.
on January 23, 2017
Great expanded story from The Silmarilion.
on April 22, 2014
Although I thoroughly enjoyed this novel I must say it took a toll on me. The Tolkien I am accustomed to reading gives his heroes too much to handle and they rise up to the occasion. This is definitely not the case here. In plain speech you are told from the beginning that a shadow and curse follows the house of Huron but there is expectation ever along the journey that things will resolve. They don't.

Still ... a vividly spun tale with twists of fate and relatable traits of human nature. But I won't re-read any time soon. Too sad.
on August 11, 2014
This is an excellent work of literature. I love Tolkien's use of 'fate' and choice to create a sad and compelling tale that we all can identify with. Sure, we may not descend from a man who confronted Morgoth to his face, but we know what it's like to live in our parents' shadows, in either fame or infamy. We know heartbreak and feeling helpless. We know bitterness. Yet somehow, walking through this story with Turin and experiencing his struggles can help us figure them out for ourselves. It did for me at least.
on November 22, 2015
So much is only hinted at in The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion offers some glimpses into this story, but this work fills all the gaps in. I only hope that more stories like this come out of the Tolkien estate in years to come.
on July 31, 2007
I wanted this book the moment I heard about it, and I was glad I purchased it. It is a wonderful and dark story from a time long before the events of The Hobbit and LOTR. As stated in other reviews, it's the expansion of one of the seemingly minor chapters of The Silmarillion.

Overall, despite the archaic language, the book was an easy read. The story, if you are not familiar with it, is dark and twisted, and sorrowful. I was definitely not expecting the ending.

The tale chiefly follows Turin, son of the mighty Hurin, whose line is cursed by Morgoth for Hurin's defiance of the dark lord. For Turin's part, he is afflicted by an enduring pride that causes ruin around him. I could go on, but I don't want to spoil the story for anyone.

Suffice it to say this is well worth reading, and if you are even a casual fan of Tolkien's works, then you will undoubtedly enjoy this one. While reading The Silmarillion beforehand is not required, I will warn you that many of the names mentioned here are more fully explained in the larger work, and indeed, now having gone back and started reading The Silmarillion, I wish I had done so much sooner.