HPC Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Tales of a Low-Rent Birder
Format: Paperback|Change

on August 16, 2016
I haven't read anything by Pete Dunne that I didn't like. This is no exception. If you ever have the opportunity to hear him speak, take advantage of it. Wonderful story teller.
on June 26, 2017
Pete Dunne is wonderful story teller and writer.
on February 16, 2013
Anything Pete Dunne writes is easy to read, interesting, educational - and fascinating. He can pull you in to a story and give you all kinds of history to go along with it. All in a conversational tone. Lovely.
One person found this helpful
on July 29, 2017
The book is Dunne's earliest, now a classic. I just reread it. No one captures the sociology and pure pleasure of birding better than Pete Dunne.
on March 10, 2002
Birders are an odd, if endearing lot, and nowhere is this more apparent (and freely admitted) than in Pete Dunne's Tales of a Low-rent Birder. Since my interest in birding is only casual, the stories that took birding propensities to extremes, such as the hypothetical SVAT team (think SWAT for birds) composed of 4 quirky members who can't agree on anything and spend their lives tracking down bird sightings, and The Legend of Jesse Mew, a play on the guru followed by his adoring disciples thing, were a bit much for me. However, his story of finding, following and eventually pulling on a kit string that wound its way across a bird sanctuary (and thereby causing the entire bird population to take wing when the kite rose into the air) was amusing, as was his story of birding with Roger Tory Peterson. I also enjoyed his attempt to see the world through a peregrine falcon's eyes in "Peregrine Going South for the First Time," and his brief profiles of 4 birders who, though very different people, all share the ability to "see" as told in "A Gift of Vision."
However, none of these stories really hit home for me, meaning I didn't find myself reading eagerly with great interest (as I did with Kingbird Highway by Kenn Kaufman, or The Rites of Autumn by Dano O'Brien), or wishing for more once a story ended. In fact I kept putting the book aside with a feeling of vague dissatisfaction. Avid birders may have another story to tell, but for me this book was a disappointment.
14 people found this helpful
on February 17, 2015
A book for those that enjoy what bird watching really means, not only taking the binoculars and have a walk around.
on September 16, 2013
This book was a real nice way to escape from all the 'bad' news with which the media surrounds me!
on April 3, 2015
I thought these essays were much weaker than Pete's other musings. I'll give this one away. Everything about this book is forgettable.
One person found this helpful
on August 9, 2017
great stories
on September 10, 2015
I really enjoy the factual but not boring presentation