Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 138 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 166 reviews
on April 29, 2010
I have spent weeks trying to purchase a complete set of Osborne's rendition of the Odyssey. I do not need to reiterate what a wonderful job she did in making this appropriate for younger children without ruining the true spirit of the story. You can find that in the many reviews you will find for each book.

What I am trying to do is save others from spending two weeks trying to find out how they can purchase this set without having to pay $125 for a new paperback copy of one book (The Land of the Dead). There are other books in this series that are also way too expensive. I didn't think I needed to break the bank for books that originally sold for $5.99.

So here's the scoop:

The Osborne rendition of the Odyssey was originally sold in separate books as follows:
Book One: One Eyed Giant
Book Two: Land of the Dead
Book Three: Sirens and Sea Monsters
Book Four: Gray Eyed Goddess
Book Five: Return to Ithica
Book Six: Final Battle

I was going crazy trying to find Book Two (Land of the Dead), Book Three (Sirens and Sea Monsters), and Book Six (Final Battle) for reasonable prices.

So, after much research, I discovered the following:

In 2010 the publisher, Hyperion, combined books 1-3 (now called "Tales from the Odyssey, Part One") and 4-6 (now called "Tales from the Odyssey, Part Two").

"Tales from the Odyssey, Part One": ISBN 978-1423128649 $5.99
"Tales from the Odyssey, Part Two": ISBN 978-1423126102 $5.99

I had no problem finding "Part One" on Amazon, but "Part Two" was another story. If you type in the isbn it will take you to their listing but it does not have a picture. It says "Part Two" is in stock but will take up to 2 weeks to get to you. Due to past experience, I didn't want to order "Part Two", wait the two weeks and end up with nothing or another "Part One". If you want to experiment & find out if Amazon can actually get the correct book, please do so and let us know how it works for you.

Here is how I got my hand on both books at the reasonable price of $5.99 each. I ordered "Part One" from Amazon and then went to their competitor for "Part Two". The competitor does not have "Part Two" available online either, but you can type in the ISBN to see if any of their physical bookstores have copies available on the shelves. A few bookstores in our area had the book. I called and asked them to physically get the book while I was on the phone & please hold it for me. They happily did this for me and told me they were willing to hold it for up to three days.

The publisher (Hyperion) is a division of Disney Book Group. Disney is well know for having strange practices with regard to making their old classic movies available. I didn't know this practice applied to recently published and "in demand" book series. Maybe that's not the case. The copies I purchased are "trade copies". Maybe they're testing the market & the mass market publication will soon be released. I really don't know how the book publishing process works so this is just surmising. Maybe someone versed in the book publishing process can enlighten us. I would love that!

Anyway, if you really want a copy of Osborne's "Odyssey", I hope this helps you find it without your having to spend hours on the computer or running from bookstore to bookstore.

Cheers!

Edited to add this important note:

I listed my review for "Tales from the Odyssey, Part One" and when I went to list my review on "Tales from the Odyssey, Part Two" I received a note saying, "Ooops, you are not allowed to review the same book twice". This tells me that within the Amazon system "Part One" and "Part Two" of these books are considered the same book. This is a huge "caution", in that if you order "Part One" and "Part Two" from Amazon, you will probably get two of the same book.
1616 comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2010
Okay - first..thank you to the reviewer who had the ISBN number for the 2nd book! I just added it to my cart and based on a review of the 2nd book, it looks like it will be the right one.

We bought this for my 1st grade son who loves stories and was completely intrigued by the idea that there were superheros before Batman and Superman. I started to read it out loud to him and before I knew it, the whole family was gathered around including my husband, who has read the Odyssey and Iliad many times, 3rd grade girl and kindergarten girl. Everyone LOVED it! My husband was impressed at how the story was redone for a younger age but was still true to the feel. The groan when the book ended and Odysseus was not home yet was huge! I had to promise to order the next volume today.

I would highly recomend buying the 3 book volumes instead of individual books - it makes kids realize that each book is just part of a big story. AND be ready to buy the next volume! The other reviewer gives you the number to look up.

We also bought him the coloring book from Dover of Greek Gods and Goddesses from Amazon. It really helped with picturing some of the gods - although we realized at the end of Mary Pope Osborne's book that the author has sketches of them and pronounciation lists! Oh well.... he still loves the coloring book.

There are some gross parts (people being eaten by the Cyclopes and Giants and the Six Headed monster) BUT it is well handled and not overly graphic at all. We are crazy overprotective parents about what our kids watch and my kndergarten girl didn't even bat an eye. So don't let that stop you from buying the book. I think everything was entirely age appropriate for younger elementary who have not had a birds and the bees talk as well!

Overall - it is a great way to introduce your kids to the Odyssey and I will absolutely be looking for anything written by the author (actually already added a couple to my cart!)
on May 14, 2017
This is a great, easy to read version of the Odyssey. Mrs. Osborne has done a great job of making this wonderful tale available to the casual reader. I tell stories to school kids. When a student asked me to tell about Cyclops, I started looking for a usable source. I collected and rejected several volumes before finding Osborn's Part 1. After sharing the tales from Part 1, the kids were so engrossed that I had to buy Part 2 to continue the saga. It is written as well as Part 1. The kids and I look forward to the remaining parts of the complete story.
I have been an avid reader for most of my 84 years. While I had been tempted by the good adventures I knew it contained, I had always found the available translations of the Odyssey more aggravation than pleasure to read. I wish I had found Osborne's work years ago. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to read the classic for pleasure.
on April 3, 2014
I think this book could win pretty much anyone over to Homer and these timeless stories that are so much a part of our collective conscios. You'll see Homer's classic descriptions in here, like "rosy-fingered dawn" and "the wine-dark sea," and all the drama and even gore (when Odysseus's men are eaten by the Cyclops and Scylla, for examples), but somehow more fun to read with your kids than a straight translation would be. Make sure to get Part 2, too. My 7-yr-old son was dying to know if Odysseus would ever make it home!
Hint for read-alouds: you can Google how to pronounce names like Scylla, Charybdis, Telemachus, etc., to get the accent/intonation right.
on April 17, 2017
I wanted my child to read something easier before she delved into the original odessy. She is 11 and in 6th grade. This was great for her. She said it was an easy read for her.
on March 5, 2016
I wanted a copy of the Odyssey accessible to a 7 year old who reads at an adult level. Mary Pope Osborne seemed like the obvious choice. Unfortunately I found this book to be way too heavy in sadness & gore, and light on the storytelling. In every scene Odysseus and his crew are either dying horrible deaths, killing, or repeatedly lamenting the recent carnage of their loved ones. Without much gripping prose in between it was just awful to read - and I LOVED the Odyssey when I read the original. There was no way I would put this in the hands of a child with any degree of sensitivity.
on January 4, 2013
Tackling Greek mythology probably confuses most parents and I wasn't any different. I simply didn't know where to begin. When my daughter came home and told me they had done a play in class about Athena, I knew I had to jump in and start somewhere. By chance, this book is where I started and it worked out great!! I got her both Part 1 and Part 2 for Christmas. (Get both Part 1 and Part 2 and you will have all 6 books that Osborne has written, they were combined by the publisher.)
A chapter book with no pictures, (appropriate for 4th grade) perfectly accessible reading and exciting storytelling that kept us BOTH on the edge of our seats! She happily knows A LOT more about the characters in Greek mythology that she did a month ago....(and so do I!)
on July 30, 2014
This book is a wonderful synopsis of the Greek Odyssey, written for the middle school student. I read it, remembering the full version I had to read in high school. I appreciate the scaled down version, thinking of the fourth and fifth grade students who are reading this for the Oregon Battle of the Books series. Mary Pope Osborne does as excellent job. Now I feel I must read part 2, because I have no memory as to how the tale ends. I will order the book, as I did this one, from amazon.com.
on July 6, 2016
This collection of stories from "The Odyssey" is exactly what you would want in a book for children. The adventure of the tales without inappropriate details that don't need to be mentioned at this tender age. I gave copies of this to some of my students this year as a prize for working so hard on their reading journals. Each of them have loved and cherished these books, and I am delighted that their education in these classic stories was begun in 3rd grade, thanks to Mary Pope Osborne.
on July 6, 2016