Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

on January 23, 2012
For all of you parents of young children who haven't had the Big Talk yet - this one is a must-read. It is the most wonderful resource for all parents as they teach moral values to their children from age three and up. It gives age-appropriate suggestions for each developmental stage, and even a brilliant dialogue for the Big One, which you can use as close as you like or tailor it to your family situation, and many other dialogues.

My husband and I followed the authors' advice based on their experience in this area with their nine (!) children and had the Big Talk last night with our older daughter who had recently turned eight. We followed the dialogue pretty closely with just a few changes/additions here and there, and our evening out exceeded all our expectations. We also read during the talk a second book from their recommended sources list How Babies Are Made, by Andrew Andry and Steven Schepp, which was well-liked by our daughter and us. (It was not a resource of the Eyres' first choice -which is Where Do I Come From?" by Peter Mayle - but we opted out of that one as the amazon reviews told us it would be too graphic for us.)

Our bright child tends to keep things to herself and we were afraid she would "clamp down" and it would turn into a lecture, but the clever questions really engaged her and she was very receptive and inquisitive, not wanting for the moment to stop. It turned out she did not know much about "the big hug," save for some seahorse mating she saw on PBS, and took it all as the most natural thing, with no embarrassment or jokes. She had more questions for me this a.m. while getting ready for school, all of which I was happy to answer. We hope this will be the beginning of many years of open discussions on the "most wonderful amazing thing on the earth!"
on November 6, 2015
It's not what I had expected. I was hoping for line by line quick instructions and instead it's a slower process more relationship building. Which I can see is the better way to address things in the long run but for talking to a 3 year old I was hoping for something a little more direct. It describes getting the children to understand the awe of nature and why is nature important which leads to how to the nature of our bodies. It will share with your child how wonderful sex is but with the right partner, to not do this casually. Based upon your beliefs is how you will address this to your children whether by marriage or just finding the right partner.
on November 17, 2017
Read through before heading down this path with my daughter. I was really disappointed to find that they direct you to another book for the actual details of sex (with drawings) to have "the talk". This book is literally to help the parent, without any resources for the child. I would have rather just bought the other book in the first place.
on July 15, 2016
Excellent resource, it guides you through talks starting around preschool-age all the way to adulthood. Doesn't come across as preachy (so far, I'll have to update once I've read up more on the teen stage, contraception talks, etc) and has really helped me with talking to my 8 year old. I plan to follow this book's guide with my 2 year old, as well, rather than waiting to have any of these talks.
on January 15, 2013
This is a book that is quite valuable in it's approach to the timeliness in talking with our children about the most special moments that impact our lives. In a world that is trying to create sexual intimacy as simple as a kiss or holding hands, this book convey's the magnificence of intimacy done in the right time. It reminds me of a part of the Chronicles of Narnia...where there is this tree...that if the fruit is not plucked at the right time...it may taste sweet at first, but in the end it will be bitter. Whereas, if plucked at the right time, it will be sweet forever.
on June 28, 2011
As a parent and a family therapist, I agree 100% with Linda and Richard Eyre"statement that "Our goal must be to teach them, help them, motivate them,and protect them long enough to allow them to set the right goals for themselves". This book does really do what it says it does! It is a step-by-step guide for every age about how to talk to your child about sex.

I liked that the book breaks it down into age appropriate stages and what to cover at that stage, many books do not contain information for the 3 to 8 year olds and this is a very important time to lay the foundation of great communication and openness of talking about sex as well as helping put some of the parents values as part of the families values.

I was also impressed with the information for the -15 to 19 year olds - for the parents who were wanting their children to wait to have sex or wishing they would wait. Eyre's feel it is best to start early with the sex talks but it never too late. It was nice to read a book that breaks it down into sex, love and commitment. It was a very practical and doable approach for any type of family communication.
on December 27, 2014
I love this book! It has helped us talk with 4 of our 6 children so far, and has been spot on with their reactions. I reccomend this book to everyone that has children! Teaches respect about the opposite sex and guides you what to talk about and when is the perfect age. My children were all receptive and come to us for any questions they have. Thank you for making the "birds and the bees" talk soooo much easier 😊
on March 14, 2017
This was a gift purchase
on August 15, 2017
Sample conversations as well as how to present complex ideas like commitment and loyalty. So well written and so helpful. I wish I had bought this sooner.
on April 29, 2014
I found some good advice in this book. There was some advice that I didn't think would really work with my child, but it's still good to have some ideas about how to handle this important topic. I also liked it because I didn't feel like their advice was narrow minded or only applied to a particular culture... it can be adapted to what each person is comfortable and what their attitudes are about intimacy.