Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Talking, Drawing, Writing: Lessons for Our Youngest Writers
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 17, 2009
This book is WONDERFUL. It clearly lays out mini-lessons in a way that makes you feel like you are watching them in action. It lists trade books to use as examples to tie into workshop. The format of the book is very reader-friendly and is not overly technical. I love that it is centered on kindergarten writers, although it is certainly useful for other primary grades as well. There are also some good ideas about setting up workshop, strategies, management and assessing/monitoring writers.
The book teaches you how to help Kindergarteners find their voices, to be true authors and illustrators of their stories. It gave my class ownership and pride in their drawing, writing and most importantly their message.
I can't wait to start the year off with the book, the writing my class did improved dramatically in the short time I used the book this year.
on July 21, 2013
I don't typically write reviews, but I just had to for this book. I've been a teacher for a very long time and this book reminded me that kindergartners are natural writers. My district is pushing us to begin writing earlier and earlier, and this is just the affirmation I need to give the students time to find their own voice and to maintain a love for writing. I can't wait to use the strategies and lessons in the fall. The book is easy to read and it is well thought out. It's the best professional book I've read in a long time.
on August 31, 2008
Great book. I like the specifics of how to teach children that they have stories to tell and can eventually write about them.
on May 16, 2011
A must for anyone working with Pre-K, K, and First grade writers. This walks you right through how young children come to writing naturally - and if allowed to do so will LOVE it. This is how we set up our own Writing Workshop, and is how I taught our University's Language Arts methods class to pre-service educators (juniors in college) - delivering that language arts instruction through Writing Workshop. This book explains it well - offering a variety of ways to approach each lesson. Great literature tie-ins, too.
on January 14, 2015
Several colleagues are working together to implement this in class. I have seen much more growth in language and verbal abilities along with more mature drawing exhibited by students. We are still covering our curriculum responsibilities, and are enthused by the wonderful start it has given our children. They beg for more writing time, feel confident in their drawing and have become stronger story tellers. Time to remember the focus is on communicating face to face in this very "techie" world!
on February 10, 2011
The book is laid out and organized really well but it was not what I was looking for.
This book deals with the very beginning of writing with Kindergarteners. I wanted a resource to help with how to take my students from drawing to writing and helping them choose a topic. I think the description of the book was misleading. I will keep the book and may use some of the ideas at the beginning of the new school year.
on February 1, 2014
This book explains how to get the youngest story-tellers started writing in the most developmentally appropriate way. The authors show you their very natural approach using a very convenient step by step method that you can put to use right away as you go through chapter by chapter implementing the lessons provided in chronological order.
on June 28, 2014
A book that offers important insight to teachers of young children to illustrate the potential of young children to engage in high quality work (talking, writing and drawing). For teachers who are new (or teachers who want to improve the way they teach young children 'writing'), it provides the words they can use in whole group sessions to encourage and support children in articulating, drawing and eventually writing their stories - including children whose home language differs from the classroom language. Highly recommended.
on October 9, 2011
I just got this book and I love it! I read the first 31 pages and I'm ready to begin on Monday with my kindergarten students. This book is all I needed to begin writer's workshop! It's written so well, even a novice workshop teacher can follow it! Super book!
on June 5, 2013
This book is an easy read. It is an excellent resource for writers workshop in kindergarten. Very practical ideas and plans.