Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 178 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 202 reviews
on May 27, 2013
Sentinels are the natural defense against Vampires, Demons and Shifters. They're half human and half angel. Danni Jorgenson was born to Sentinel parents, however she's all human. Her parents were always first and foremost, dedicated to their jobs and to each other. They were never nurturing or dedicated parents to Danni. She was neglected and left to fend for herself as early as 3 years old, and eventually abandoned.

Danni was always a stubborn and strong-willed child and grew into an even more stubborn and strong-willed adult. She's dedicated her life to training hard with Sentinels, patrolling and fighting Vampires, Demons and Shifters. She's independent and faces her problems head on with no regrets. She never looks back. And when Caine severed their friendship 11 years ago when she was 17, she became totally and completely alone....and very bitter.

Born in the early 11th Century, Caine is a 1000 year old Pyte (half human/half vampire). He has human traits...he has vampire traits. He can walk in the sun...he's always cool, calm and collected. He can wait any situation out. He's in control no matter what. He's also angry and full of hatred. He's been tortured relentlessly and suffered untold physical abuse, which hardens his heart. Loneliness has made him bitter. But when Caine stumbled upon Danni alone and neglected when she was three yrs. old, he reluctantly became her protector and babysitter and soon came to love and adore her. Danni becomes the band-aid for his tortured soul. Only she was able to break through the thick wall of his defense. But when she turns 17 he's forced to sever their friendship for her safety...however he never explains this to Danni causing her to feel abandoned...again.

The first ⅓ of this story has very serious overtones, which (for me) began to be a bit tedious and exhausting. There is no humor and mostly narration (little dialogue) as the Author lays a foundation of the plot. The second ⅓ of the story isn't as heavy in context. Lightly humorous dialogue breaks up the seriousness of events unfolding. The final ⅓ is all about coming to terms, new beginnings, healing and survival.

I loved this story. I loved how the Author instill's into the reader, just how much damage Caine suffers. I loved that the Author brought Ephraim, Madison, Chris and Izzy Jill & Joshua into the story. This story was edgier (for me) than the first book of this series Tall, Dark & Lonely (Pyte/Sentinel Series), with light erotic overtones at times. The epilogue ever so deftly set's us up for the next chapter in the life of Pytes, Sentinels, Vampires and Shifters. I can't wait!
on January 17, 2016
Had this actually been edited correctly. I did see where the author thanks her editor in the forward. Well Author, I'm really sorry to say your editor is not doing her job or she hasn't a clue. I actually highlighted and made a digital note on the problems as I found them when I read this book. There were a good handful at least. I can forgive a couple but this was too many. Now the last book was a lot worse but still, if you have hired an editor then you need to fire her and ask for a refund. If you would like to see the notes I'd be happy to give them to you. Really this series is wonderful! It could, I believe be a best seller in print, not just digital, if it were edited.
I know a lot of people won't bother to read Indy books if they have any reviews with bad editing. So right there your losing customers.

Now about the actual book. I liked the play between the two main Characters in this book, as I did in the two proceeding books. The stories are exciting, fast paced and never boring and all three kept me up reading past my bed time. I read a lot of books and very few actually do that. I love how she can make you really feel like you know the people in these books and how you get to keep up on people from proceeding books. I also love how she ties up most everything so your not hanging but leaves one thing open for the next book... ok two things in this one.
I think this writer has a lot of promise and I look forward to her other books too. But please get a real editor! One who actually reads the books carefully so they catch everything.
on January 21, 2014
While this is a series I love, this book was my least favorite, and not because of Cain and Danni.

Normally I love catching up with the other characters, but in this book it felt disjointed. You would be in the middle of something with Cain and Danni and then would go to Chris. I wanted to stay with C&D. I wanted their story. I was really tired of the candy thing with Izzy. How many sentences can you devote to junk food????

Cain and Danni were great, and I finally started skimming the catching up with others which felt like filler distraction. There were also a few spots where so much was going on with so many characters you had to stop and re read to figure out who was doing what with whom.

Definitley start at the beginning of the series (which was the best book) it was Tall Dark & Lonely, followed by Without Regret.

With all the references to the characters from the first 2 books, I really feel like you would be lost jumping into this one.

For those of you who have already read the others, this book is worth a read still. I really liked Cain and how different his story was from Ephraims & Madisons. He is a great character and Danni is strong and likeable.
on March 28, 2017
Omg this Series keeps getting better and better. I can't get enough of this series. With all these Enthralling dialogues kickass scenes and plenty LOL moments. With so many Twists and turns there is not way you won't be addicted to these books and it's awesome characters.

What I also love so much is what a big part the past characters play in each book. You don't get to miss them...
on June 16, 2012
I love the neighbor from hell series and love the pyre sentinel series as well! This is the third book in the outs sentinel series and it did not disappoint! I like how the "regular" characters we are used to tied into the story. It is definitely a romance and yes I would call it steamy. However don't let the new cover sway your decision....there is a ton of action and adventure in this story too! Highly recommend this series.
on March 22, 2015
Meh. This third book definitely has good points and bad points. I was very excited that it was 400+ pages. I was very disappointed that about 100 of them could have been cut. There was pages and pages of angst and angsty self-discussions. Then some sex. Then some more angst. Not even new angst, but a repetition of the last angst. Then some sex. Rinse, wash, repeat. Oh, wait! There was a couple of paragraphs of plot! Very disappointing.

The good thing about this story was that it wrapped around to include everyone from the first book. I like keeping up with them and how the story intertwines. So much more could have been done, though. It feels like the author was counting on the angst and sex to carry this book instead of plot.

The fourth book is 600 pages. I'm going to read it, but I'm kind of scared that it's going to be a long version of this one :(
on April 21, 2016
I've been reading each one of these books from book 1 and they are so Good this is first time I've slowed down enough to write a review. They are that excellent! If you enjoy vampire books, you'll love these book. But they are so much more then vamps. Humans, vamps, shifters, demons and pytes ( which I've never heard of before!). Do yourself a favor and read this series!
on October 13, 2014
I loved this book! I was actually in a bit of a book slump when I decided to rely on one of my favorite authors to pull me out... And boy did she! R.L. Mathewson you are a book writing genius.

This is book 3 in the "Pyte/Sentinel Series" each book has focused mainly on one couple but this is not a series to be read out of order. As the books progress there is the continuing stories of our past Hero's & Heroine's, as well as other supporting characters who have their own side stories continuing throughout the series. In fact this books ending could be considered a small cliffy. The main couple definitely has a happy ending, but a couple of the supporting characters have their stories left hanging...

This book captured me and pulled me in right from the start and it never let go. The story was filled with action & suspense all the way through, which for me is exactly how I like my romance. Of courses this being classic R.L. we also get a large dose of humor, steam, angst and sweet romance.

I fell in love with Danni, she was a strong women and a very likable character. Caine was a sexy, strong, Alpha but had his moments of idiocy before he came to realize what Danni really was to him. But like all great Alpha's once they fall they are goners :)

I was so happy to get the continuing story lines of Ephraim and Madison, Chis and Izzy (the couples from the previous 2 books in this series), and some of the other supporting characters which I loved (Kale, Jill and Joshua). Kale is so funny, his & Izzy's junk food addictions so remind me of the Bradford's, I love these two as friends. The banter between the men in this book is brilliantly funny and so enjoyable to read. I'm so exited to see where all these supporting characters stories go.

I highly recommend this series, even if you don't read paranormal you should give these a try.
on January 20, 2015
Caine, Caine, Caine where have you been hiding all this time - and what a very long time it has been for you dear one! Gotta say, your relationship with Danni is - hmmm, interesting. Maybe that's what happens when you don't age like us lesser mortals. Whatever! It totally works and Danni is one lucky woman, though given everything she's been through she probably doesn't feel that way. She's too tough, too strong, and too damn stubborn to admit much but she sure does love Caine so given everything I was easily a Danni fan! Caine and Danni are perfect together and damn they almost lit my book on fire with their hotness! Wow! If you've come this far in the series you know what to expect, and I for one was not disappointed! Well done - reminds me of book one!

Love this motley crew - really just want to hang out with them, though I'm sure it would involve some sort of "training" and they'd all kick my ass - even the kids! There's too much and too many characters that I love to get into the ways in which I love them all individually. They are all so unique and well developed; I'm glad they keep ending up together so I can see how their stories continue. Hell I might even love Chris again, or at least forgiven him some. This one was a beautiful mix of old and new.
on October 30, 2013
****SPOILERS***Okay, the only reason I am giving this 3 stars is because of the Williams family and my general nosiness! I seriously needed to know what was going on with them, and more specifically, I needed to get my Ephraim fix! Okay, the real problem I have with this book is the relationship between Caine and Danni. Furthermore, I have read other reviews and am quite frankly distrubed by the amount of people okay with it! I see where Mathewson tried to make it okay, but I just couldn't go there with her! I'm truly ticked, because it took me months to complete this book because I have to finish a book once I start it (she is NO QUITTER!), and I just couldn't get past the daddy/boyfriend/lover dynamic between the two main characters! There is no way a romantic relationship between the two could ever be acceptable, no matter how it was written. Caine cared for Danni as a child and watched Saturday morning cartoons with her! How do you ever make the transition between that and sexy naked fun time?! GROSS! I finally made it through the book (and threw up in my mouth several times).
I will continue with the series because I want to know what happens with the Williams clan. Does Izzy ever regain her full mobility? Does the family ever find Joshua? What the heck happens with Jill?
I'm looking forward to the next book, and I hope we don't have to read more about Caine and Danni's creepy daddy/boyfriend love...