Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on November 12, 2017
Tall, Dark and Lonely (Pyte/Sentinel Series Book 1) is a very good and sensual supernatural Romance that earned a rating of five stars. This book is very entertaining as a 206 year old Pyte finds the love of his life, a twenty-four year old virgin. When Madison met Ephraim, she had no idea how her life would change. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading very good supernatural romance novels
on July 30, 2017
I usually don't read paranormal book but the premise of this book interested me. I got a sample and really liked the characters and the storyline. The Hero and Heroine were both heroic and humanly flawed. I recommend this author and her writing. But please get a decent editor. The typos and double words and phrases distracted from the book. If I hadn't been so into the story I might not have been able to finish it. I also recommend the author's Neighbors from Hell series. She has a good imagination and writing technique.
on February 24, 2016
I bought this book a good three months ago mainly because I adore RL Mathewson's Neighbor From Hell series, but put off reading it until yesterday. I had a vision in my head of all paranormal type romances being tween and teenage girl things. I am kicking myself this morning. Tall, dark, and lonely was an excellent read. The author took careful time explaining the various type of paranormal characters, and in the process turned them into a very solid story that honestly surprised me with it's depth. I shall start on the second book of the series tonight. Thanks to all her fans who kept insisting that I go there. You were right and I was wrong.
on November 16, 2016
As much as the odd tidbits and constantly rotating drama should have made me dislike it, I really enjoyed this novel. It flows almost effortlessly, and I love the characters. The parts where Ephraim was supposed to be a butt kicking hero, his (and responding) dialogue was lame and cheesy. Otherwise, it was worth buying.
2 helpful votes
on April 7, 2014
I tried reading this many months ago and stopped because I couldn't get into it. But I decided to try again. I read it in less than a day. Pytes, vampires, sentinels, crazy exes, a sorry excuse of a mother, and a troubled sixteen year old. It's a funny, sexy, slightly gross story.
Chris cracked me up!
Madison has raised her brother and sister because their mother was too busy sleeping around. When they all go to live with her grandmother, she meets her neighbor. Ephraim is a Pyte who likes being left alone. When he gets a whiff of Madison he knows he'll not be able to resist her. He must protect her and their family from a crazy vamp who wants to be turned into a Pyte.
on June 18, 2015
This was not your traditional Paranormal Romance but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. The focus of the story is the endearing budding romance between Madison and Ephraim, which kept turning page after page! The Vampire/Paranormal portion of the story is low on the intensity scale.

Madison, is the responsible sister who grows up too soon because she has to raise her siblings when her loser Mom walks out on them yet again. When her Mom returns she is forced to move across the country with her Grandmother she doesn't know in order to protect her siblings. This is where she meets the mysterious and handsome, Ephraim.

The chemistry between them is instant and off the charts. As their romance blossoms so does the drama that he thought he left behind. Enter the bad vampires and good sentinels who seem to show up a bit late each time. As they fall in love you get to fall in love with Madison's siblings and the "stray" kid, Chris, she gets to know while she is teaching at his school. I have to say he is probably my favorite character in the whole book and I can't wait to see what is in store for him in future books.

The action scenes were not very intense and slightly predictable. If you are a diehard PNR fan who likes heavy paranormal, this might not be the book for you. If you love a good romance with hot erotic scenes and a little bloodlust then this is definitely the book for you!
on October 13, 2012
Reviewed by Lee Anne for My Secret Romance Book Reviews

Tall Dark and Lonely has given me a new vampire to love! I LOVE EPHRAIM!

I was hooked on this book from the first sentence. I stayed up into the wee hours of the morning finishing this book. I couldn't get enough of Ephraim! Madison is a wonderful counterpart to Ephraim. She tests his resolve and patience. They are a dynamic pair and keep each other their toes.

While Ephraim is a vampire, he's a special vampire. He's a Pyte. He also has standards he lives by and refuses to become a monster. Being a Pyte means he's a daywalker! In addition to being a daywalker, he was born, not made into a vampire.

Madison was forced to grow up early as her mother isn't really a mother. Madison's mother, Candy, is more concerned with partying hooking up rather than being a mother, so Madison stepped up.

When Madison and Ephraim meet, sparks fly and so do the tempers. I found myself laughing, crying, and cringing throughout the story. I laughed at the arguments Ephraim and Madison got into, cried when they were being too difficult to listen to each other, and cringing when Ephraim went all me, vampire on Madison.

I loved this story and found R.L. Matthewson's take on vampires to be refreshing. R.L. had many of the traditional view on vampires as well as some new insights. R.L. also managed to introduce the beginning of vampires and sentinels without belaboring the point and boring me. It flowed nicely into the story and was integral to the storyline. R.L. also did an amazing job of showing how vampires are like what we've traditionally thought as well as some new aspects.

While I loved this book very much, I would have liked to have seen more action and suspense in the story. There was definitely some suspense in the story, but I would have liked to have seen that ramped up a bit.

I found the way the romance played out between Madison and Ephraim very realistic. They were definitely attracted to each other but both had issues to work through. The resolution to their problems was not a walk in the park, they had to work for it and the culmination of that hard work was oh so worth the wait!

This was a fantastic start to a new series and I'll definitely be reading more! At a find of 99 cents for the book, R.L. Matthewson is quite the find! This book is definitely worth more than that!
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on April 28, 2014
This book was just okay for me. I enjoy vampires in all their forms - even the sparkly ones. But, this book seemed to drag on & on. I didn't feel connected to the the characters or the storyline. I just finished reading this book 2 days ago & I already forgot the heroine's name. To me, that really says it all. Plus, I felt extremely uncomfortable with the teacher/student dynamic. It is flat out weird to consider one of your students a "best friend". Unfortunately, I've already gotten several other books by Mathewson. I guess I'll read them eventually. I hope they'll be better than this one.
on January 8, 2014
The prologue and beginning of this story was enough that after sampling, I wanted more. This is from the author who brought us PLAYING FOR KEEPS which many will agree was straight up fun to read and put a smile on your face. TALL, DARK, and LONELY has that element of humor to it as well and this was so very fresh for me because it was that humor mixed with a paranormal read. I feel in love with the characters of Madison and Ephraim and wanted desperately to know where their story would go.

Now, as my rating suggests, I had some issues with this book too. I loved the humor, I loved the characters but I felt like there were issues with the explanation of things or in most cases lack there of. There were also points of continuity issues.

Examples of these issues include when Ephraim and Madison have a huge fight. When they later talk about it he apologizes but says she hit along a nerve. She takes a guess at said nerve and I was left there wondering when in their argument at all that specific topic had ever been brought up? I even went back and reread the argument and there was nothing there so it made very little sense and had me rather confused.

Then there were just little things that left more questions and were not brought up in a way that made sense. The strength of his blood and how he can turn people for one. Then there were comments on whether he wanted something or not, when earlier he was described as not wanting it, then it became he did. No while yes, people are allowed to change their mind but this was not like that, it was brought about as if this was what he always felt.

I know I am being a bit vague, because I still don't feel right spoiling the story. I didn't abandon this book, I read it completely because I still enjoyed the story line. I don't think I will continue on however, because I fear the same issue will arise in the next books in the series which is a shame. This book could have been utterly amazing with a bit more attention to detail.

Great humor for a paranormal book and I did enjoy my time with it.
2 helpful votes
on January 8, 2016
Wow is about all I can say. Ok I can say more. I absolutely loved this book. I loved the story line, the characters, and everything. Not many books can keep me reading past my normal bed time, but this one did two nights in a row. I loved the thought of how Pytes are different than vamps and can walk in daylight. I liked the vamps were the the bad guys in this book, sometimes them being the good guys gets boring. This book was really well written and really fast paced too. I'd start to read a hours went by in the blink of an eye it was almost like I was there in their world and ally worries and everything disappeared whole I was on the world of this book. It was almost a shock icing out of it and back to reality. That's how good I thought this book was. You get so immersed in the world. These the sign for me of a five star book! In fact I'd give it a plus one so its six stars!
Yes you can bet I will be reading the rest of this series
I really hope they are as good as this one was.