Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Nina Nesbitt Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 57 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 108 reviews
on January 5, 2013
i read the last werewolf the first book, and i had a really hard time getting into it, i had to have my friend kelsey read it to tell me it was worth reading. so when i get it through it i found it to be a funny, dark, sexual and action fulled book.

Talulla rising was just the same, the only difference was i enjoy this book from the beginning . it hooked me in from the first page. this is book we learn what happned to Talulla after jack( her werewolf lover and former last werewolf) was beheaded and killed. Talulla , at the end of the last werewolf , find herself Pergant. the only pregant werewolf in history. in the beginning of this book, we find Tallula 7 months into her Pregance. she ends up giving birth in werewolf form and as a little boy, but that momment is short lived, for two reason, she feels nothing for her wolf child and 2nt vampires come and steal him from her. within that same hour she realizes she's still giving birth, to a girl. she had had twins. through the book you see through her eyes the strange feeling of having children, who are werewolves, and children she has a hard time connecting too. she also tryed to get her son back from the vampire's who want to use him to call forth a long sleep leader of thiers.

i won't tell you how it ends, don't want to give it away. ;)
on August 3, 2016
A perfect companion to The Last Werewolf and much better than By Blood We Live, which I'm sure was just written under contractual obligation and definitely shows it. What a disappointing final novel.... but back to Talulla.

Finally-- a strong willed, imperfect, unorthodox, and shockingly realistic female protagonist. Go figure, written by a man. Talulla's story is a gripping and intense read that takes unpredictable turns and is ultimately a delicious, dirty treat of a read.

If you like the series so far, I'd stop here, frankly. But for what it's worth, The Last Werewolf and Talulla Rising are absolutely worth sniffing out.
VINE VOICEon August 14, 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
Talulla Rising
Glen Duncan

My " in a nutshell" summary...

Werewolf girl is preggers by her dead werewolf boyfriend...chaos ensues!

My thoughts after reading this book...

Lu is in hiding in Alaska until her baby is born. Her pregnancy sounds horrible and she can't wait until this wolf baby is born. Lu is in hiding because vampires want her baby...

OMG...I was not even remotely prepared for this...the eating humans thing once a month when Lu becomes an actual werewolf? Raw and vivid and almost made me want to DNF this book but I couldn't. It was real and sort of mesmerizing...in a weird kind of way. This is not the sweet werewolf from Grimm but rather a really deadly one even if she is a girl.
Anyway...vampires want the wolf baby because of something in its DNA...I am still not sure of this part...but she has twins! They get one and she is on a supercharged quest to get him back. Something in the baby's blood will enable vampires to be out in daylight...vamps are super psyched to get this. There is tons of action throughout the book and lots of semi unsavory sex scenes...but I am sort of squeamish with this stuff. Lu is not a nice person or werewolf but she really can't be blamed for this...she does seem to love her babies and will do anything to get Lorcan back...but still...she eats tons of people...literally. And getting her baby back is almost like a Special Forces operation.

What I loved about this book...

I totally loved the bond with the real wolves...how they protected Lu and baby Zoe...slept next to them to keep them warm...and I loved the fact that Lu had never really seen a real wolf until then.

What I didn't love...

This book was really vividly graphic...especially when it involves a werewolf's eating habits...people...liver...hearts...kidneys!!! Ew!!! And I was not a fan of the weird sex stuff...but that is just me.

Final thoughts...

In spite of all the graphic parts, this author writes an amazing story. I lived every part of it. It was tense, exciting, and very readable. No nightmares yet...that's a good thing!
on March 27, 2015
I am not a good book reviewer, I just like to read books of all kinds so bear with me. I enjoyed Mr. Duncan's first effort "The Last Werewolf" as his writing style is very literate and moves right along. With this second effort it very good writing style, but the story line was lacking. It seemed to skip around too much to suit me and there was a general uptick in violence and sex! I don't mind that if the story line can support it. This line did not.
To me is was fragmented and it seemed he was searching for a thread and never really found it.

I very much liked the change of pace from the normal mysteries I like to read and his first book was my first look at a werewolf story! He made it believable. Not so much with this entry.

I think I am pretty much done with this, story line and will move on.
on August 18, 2013
I am a huge fan of Glen Duncan's writing, I think he's one of the most brilliant authors of our time. The way he spins a tale, draws the scenery and pulls you in are nothing short of wonderful. Add to that his word choices and you're pretty much guaranteed a perfect novel.

I enjoyed Talulla Rising, but not nearly as much as its predecessor, The Last Werewolf, and that isn't due to the story, but do to the protagonist. Jake Marlowe was a relate-able character to me, he was likable and enjoyable, I would have enjoyed having a cocktail with him. Talulla, however, is somehow less human. I understand that she was holding back her emotions for most of the book, I'm kind of like that myself in that I put my feelings on hold when I have to get something done- hysteria isn't productive. However, it just managed to make her kind of unlikable for some reason- I wish I could explain it better than that, but I can't. I did still like the book, but unlike The Last Werewolf, I'm doubtful that I'd read it again.
on April 28, 2014
Duncan is worth reading in any incarnation, but this (the second book of this trilogy) is less equal than the others. The first, The Last Werewolf, is by far the best, and its lead character is a deeply wise, deeply tired anti-hero worthy of Milton's Lucifer and Faust's Mephistopheles. Go read that.
on April 14, 2012
I bought The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan ages ago, based on recommendations made in one of the Amazon forums but I hadn't got around to reading it until last week when I saw a panel talk that included Glen Duncan. Finally I read The Last Werewolf and after finishing it went looking for more.

Tallula Rising did not disappoint! The only thing that did disappoint was finding there is a final book, not coming until 2013.

I like to read books that pull me into their reality and make me think and Duncan's books have done that.

There is a lot more action in this book than the first and this made it totally unputdownable.

There is also more of the mystery of the backstory of the different species.

If you liked The last Werewolf and wanted more then read Tallula Rising.
on June 10, 2017
Great read sequel with female vampire and more. Good usage of vocabulary
on September 26, 2012
I have been a fan of Glen Duncan ever since I read "I,Lucifer". His flawless command of language and mood is unmatched. He keeps the story going and describes the struggles of his characters without fear. He makes the mundane sound beautiful. He can probably make the task of watching paint dry sound exciting.

He uses phrases like "career of moral slippage", "vertigo of the heart", "a crucifixion by contraries", "image of futile ejaculation", "a conversational aphrodisiac" and so many more.

The story keeps a breathless pace as the lead character Talulla looks for her lost child. The author makes you feel her suffering, doubt and disappointments at every turn. But he doesn't make her weak or helpless. She's a werewolf after all and you see her vicious nature many times in the book.

This is a fitting continuation to The Last Werewolf and just as superbly written. I hope he writes another. Am dying to read more about Rimsha.

A great read.
on September 10, 2012
It rose to the challenge of a good sequel.

I will admit it took a while for it to win me ... I really loved The Last Werewolf and initially thought that this was a second rate sequel.

This was a much faster paced book with many action sequences and lacking the rather cute literary references from TLW. TLW was witty and clever, TR is gritty and dramatic. The was a surfeit of sex in TLW but in TR it was way over the top. I don't feel that Duncan does female voice of Talulla as well as world weary Jake in TLW.

But ... still ... I enjoyed it. It is a well constructed page turner. Characters had depth. The premise Duncan constructed is thought out and the plot is plausible (ok ... I know it is a fantasy ... but it still has to believable!) ... background is provided, threads are knitted together ... and part 3 is set up!