Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Country Heat PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on December 9, 2015
I seldom write reviews for anything other than books or an occasional CD or movie. And when I do, it's generally because I really like something a lot (and, secondarily, may have seen what struck me as unfair comments about the object of my adoration that I'd like to offset a bit).

Context: I've been around for almost of seven decades and have gone through every type of slipper imaginable - Indian mocs, scuffs, slipper socks (augh!), Polar Bear, Bear Paw, every other bear, ad infinitum. These Tamaracs - with the plaid lining as opposed to faux shearling lining - are the best I've owned, the most structurally substantial, the most comfortable, and the most street-worthy on the outchance I'd have to run out onto the sidewalk in some defense of the homestead or other.

Now, truth to tell, I've been wearing them for only ten days, albeit for a good portion of the day at that, with socks (heavy athletic) and without, and they're simply superb. This story may change in a month or two, should the "glue" issue some wearers have reported come to pass on my feet. But I'm wondering if that's just not a 2-percent/6-month or so failure rate, which the producer should handle as a guarantee deal. Longer than that, with slippers, you should probably be on your own, given the wide variations in usage and wear-out rate.

But in the last two weeks, I've had great traction on all surfaces. Non-marring (some black soles scuff tile or wood: these don't.) Warmth at cool room temperatures and comfort at warmer ones (although some people complain that their feet sweat because these slippers are so cozy. Well, we respire through our feet, and some people are sweat hogs like that. These are sealed leather with winter lining. Memo to owners: If it's 99 in the shade you probably should walking around barefoot or in lightweight summer scuffs. If you're wearing these Tamaracs and your dogs are sopping wet, well, that's a lesson for ya, isn't it?)

And these Tamaracs are precisely sized and lasted. Listen: the comments of many reviewers about "snug-fit/order a size larger" are exactly what motivated me to write up these remarks of my own. The snug-fit crowd must have been writing with the Amazon shipping box right at their feet, five minutes after putting new, lined slippers on for the first time. Of course they're snug. As a few reviewers have reported, memory foam innersoles generally take care of the size issue in less than a few hours of wearing. (I don't have the shearling, but I bought some for my son: the pile flattens pretty quickly, too.) By the end of my first day, everything was copacetic, a tiny bit tight with heavy socks but just fine without. (My foot has spread over time from an 11-medium to close to the next width out, but the fit is still fine.) By the end of the second day, perfection. Absolute perfection. Without any perturbations to the structure of the shoe or its appearance. (I've scuffed about the house in the company of house guests, and they've - honestly [I have no connection to Tamarac] - complimented me the attractiveness of the slippers and, I'm pretty sure [they went online instantly to look at the URL with their mobiles], went on to order a pair. Everyone needs a good pair of slippers.)

All of this is to say, had I gone from an 11 to a 12 (no half sizes offered), I'd be swimming in these things and kicking them off or leaving them behind half the time. I'd recommend you order for your shoe size unless you're a half-size (they don't come in half-sizes): if that's the case, round up, not down (depending, though, on how true your half size is and how chubby or slender your foot may be. Use common sense).

And now, the *asterisk*: I'm hard on shoes. I roll into pronation. I'm also cruel to heels and wear hard on the outside of both feet. Ten days is really too soon for a shoe review: most of the breakdowns, if they occur, will be well after any guarantee has expired. And so I'll keep an eye on the structural integrity of the slippers and will report back if detect any developing problem within the next six months or so.

But until then, I'm as happy with these as the proverbial bug in a rug - I know: that makes no sense in a shoe context, throw me a metaphor - and will be giving these out for Xmas.
55 comments| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 16, 2015
So after 3 months these slippers have fallen apart. The back of the slipper where the thread holds the edge on comes apart as you will see in the picture. These are great slippers, great fit and they just look good but only get 3 months use......
review image
22 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 30, 2008
This is the third pair of slippers that I have purchased and the best of the bunch. I was particularly looking for a slipper that was made of "natural" type materials instead of the more common nylon/rayon. These slippers are not full of the "fake fuzz" that made my feet sweat so much that if I pulled them off I didn't want to slip back into a cold wet slipper. They breath well and my feet are dry after wearing them.

They are well made (for the price) and are more comfortable than $40 LB Evans slippers and $20 Dr. Scholls that I tried before. Great comfortable flannel type lining seems to wick away moisture and cushioned insole is great.

Fit is pretty true to size. Other slippers in my size tended to be way to small, these were close. I typically wear size 10 and was reluctant to order a 10, but sure enough they fit. A bit small, but close enough that I wouldn't move to the 11.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a better slipper at this price.
0Comment| 279 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 11, 2018
After several attempts of ordering men's slippers from Amazon, and returning all three (and almost giving up), I FINALLY found this pair to be near perfect. I wear size 12 and after reviewing sizing comments, I ordered size 14... and, viola, they fit perfectly... with or without socks. I like that these have padded cloth lining instead of fuzzy 'fur'... I also like that there is a substantial 'lip' at the back to hold feet in and still work easily as a 'slip-on'. The soles are soft rubber-like material instead of harder plastic-like material that 'clap' when you walk up and down stairs. The construction seems simple and somewhat light weight, and even tho they might not last for years, they are exactly what I've wanted via my initial slipper order attempts (gone wrong.) I'll simply replace when these wear out (the price is right!). Like others, I recommend ordering a size larger than your 'regular' size. Price UPDATE: Good grief! I ordered these 2 weeks ago for a mere $20 -- the exact size and color is now up to $43 - I suggest you poke around on sizes, colors and date for a better deal!
on October 7, 2016
I don't know which slippers everyone else got, but my pair were extremely uncomfortable. The top was fine but the footbed is a thin piece of foam over hard plastic. You 'bottom out' with every step so it's likle walking on a hardwood floor barefoot. These felt like a $5 pair I own.

Just terrible, anyone that doesn't wear ballet slippers around town will not be comfortable wearing these if you're on your feet for more than 5 minutes.
on October 30, 2016
I have a 10.5 wide foot. Anyone with a wide food knows the hassle of finding shoes that come with a wide option. Most popular and/or stylish shoes do not offer a wide option I have experienced. Couple this with no offering of a 1/2 size makes finding a comfortable warm house shoe for the cold months a pain. The lack of a wide shoe I just have to work through. But, the lack of a 1/2 size made me have to bend the heel down so it doesn't shove my toes into the front of the shoe because 11 is far too big, I know because I bought and returned a pair. So for toe comfort I have to sacrifice the cupping of the heel so the feel like slippers and not shoes. Lastly the inner padding under foot is thin and will soon be stiff. this shoe probably would fit "normal" footed people pretty well.
on May 10, 2017
I wear slippers all the time year-round when I'm at home. These are good ones. The flannel-type lining is soft without being too warm (I live in Florida) and it doesn't pill the way that fleece does. They fit well, there's no high back at the heal to get squashed down and plenty of room without being loose or sloppy. The outer soles are thick and durable but the inner soles are some sort of memory foam so they're firm with great cushioning, the uppers are real suede and stiched together as well as to the soles. I expect them to last a while.
on January 1, 2017
This is a neat slipper - well made, very comfortable and good fit. I wear a 15 so it is very hard to find shoes in my size in the first place much less fit properly. When I first put them on I was concerned they might be too small. After wearing one day, both my foot and the shoe adjusted to one another. This shoe does have a unique feel and that might account for negative reports. A man usually wears shoes with a full rear portion not a slip on with a minimal attachment. Once you get past the feel of a shoe with "no rear end' I think you will really enjoy the comfort this allows. I would recommend this to anyone with tender feet as well. I have some diabetes related pain and this shoe seems to provide support and comfort for me. Delivery was prompt and sooner than expected.
on November 2, 2017
Nice, strong slippers for winter inside the house, but can be worn outdoors also, The bottoms are very strong plastic. The inside of this model is warm and can be worn without socks. Still, I will wear socks with them in the winter. I am size 10 but I ordered a size 12 this year. The first pair I owned were a size 10 but I found that the back of the slipper hung up on my heel. So I ordered a Size 12 this year and there is no rubbing on my heel. They are also large enough for me to wear socks with them in the cold winter nights when I need extra warmth. So my recommendation is to go 1 - 2 sizes bigger for these slippers if you don't want the back of the slipper rubbing on the back of your heel. At any rate, these are very nice slippers. I recommend them.
on September 26, 2016
The slippers look like they were very well-made and had nice cushioning inside. However, the opening was too narrow for my elderly relative to get his swollen feet into them. The opening looks wider in the photo. It is actually more cylindrical shaped than wedge-shaped. They would probably work fine for someone with no swelling problems. Ordered a size 10 for a normal size 9 mens but they were still too narrow.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.