Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 1,675 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,731 reviews
on December 9, 2015
I seldom write reviews for anything other than books or an occasional CD or movie. And when I do, it's generally because I really like something a lot (and, secondarily, may have seen what struck me as unfair comments about the object of my adoration that I'd like to offset a bit).

Context: I've been around for almost of seven decades and have gone through every type of slipper imaginable - Indian mocs, scuffs, slipper socks (augh!), Polar Bear, Bear Paw, every other bear, ad infinitum. These Tamaracs - with the plaid lining as opposed to faux shearling lining - are the best I've owned, the most structurally substantial, the most comfortable, and the most street-worthy on the outchance I'd have to run out onto the sidewalk in some defense of the homestead or other.

Now, truth to tell, I've been wearing them for only ten days, albeit for a good portion of the day at that, with socks (heavy athletic) and without, and they're simply superb. This story may change in a month or two, should the "glue" issue some wearers have reported come to pass on my feet. But I'm wondering if that's just not a 2-percent/6-month or so failure rate, which the producer should handle as a guarantee deal. Longer than that, with slippers, you should probably be on your own, given the wide variations in usage and wear-out rate.

But in the last two weeks, I've had great traction on all surfaces. Non-marring (some black soles scuff tile or wood: these don't.) Warmth at cool room temperatures and comfort at warmer ones (although some people complain that their feet sweat because these slippers are so cozy. Well, we respire through our feet, and some people are sweat hogs like that. These are sealed leather with winter lining. Memo to owners: If it's 99 in the shade you probably should walking around barefoot or in lightweight summer scuffs. If you're wearing these Tamaracs and your dogs are sopping wet, well, that's a lesson for ya, isn't it?)

And these Tamaracs are precisely sized and lasted. Listen: the comments of many reviewers about "snug-fit/order a size larger" are exactly what motivated me to write up these remarks of my own. The snug-fit crowd must have been writing with the Amazon shipping box right at their feet, five minutes after putting new, lined slippers on for the first time. Of course they're snug. As a few reviewers have reported, memory foam innersoles generally take care of the size issue in less than a few hours of wearing. (I don't have the shearling, but I bought some for my son: the pile flattens pretty quickly, too.) By the end of my first day, everything was copacetic, a tiny bit tight with heavy socks but just fine without. (My foot has spread over time from an 11-medium to close to the next width out, but the fit is still fine.) By the end of the second day, perfection. Absolute perfection. Without any perturbations to the structure of the shoe or its appearance. (I've scuffed about the house in the company of house guests, and they've - honestly [I have no connection to Tamarac] - complimented me the attractiveness of the slippers and, I'm pretty sure [they went online instantly to look at the URL with their mobiles], went on to order a pair. Everyone needs a good pair of slippers.)

All of this is to say, had I gone from an 11 to a 12 (no half sizes offered), I'd be swimming in these things and kicking them off or leaving them behind half the time. I'd recommend you order for your shoe size unless you're a half-size (they don't come in half-sizes): if that's the case, round up, not down (depending, though, on how true your half size is and how chubby or slender your foot may be. Use common sense).

And now, the *asterisk*: I'm hard on shoes. I roll into pronation. I'm also cruel to heels and wear hard on the outside of both feet. Ten days is really too soon for a shoe review: most of the breakdowns, if they occur, will be well after any guarantee has expired. And so I'll keep an eye on the structural integrity of the slippers and will report back if detect any developing problem within the next six months or so.

But until then, I'm as happy with these as the proverbial bug in a rug - I know: that makes no sense in a shoe context, throw me a metaphor - and will be giving these out for Xmas.
33 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2008
This is the third pair of slippers that I have purchased and the best of the bunch. I was particularly looking for a slipper that was made of "natural" type materials instead of the more common nylon/rayon. These slippers are not full of the "fake fuzz" that made my feet sweat so much that if I pulled them off I didn't want to slip back into a cold wet slipper. They breath well and my feet are dry after wearing them.

They are well made (for the price) and are more comfortable than $40 LB Evans slippers and $20 Dr. Scholls that I tried before. Great comfortable flannel type lining seems to wick away moisture and cushioned insole is great.

Fit is pretty true to size. Other slippers in my size tended to be way to small, these were close. I typically wear size 10 and was reluctant to order a 10, but sure enough they fit. A bit small, but close enough that I wouldn't move to the 11.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a better slipper at this price.
0Comment| 275 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2015
After six months of wearing very light use in my house, I can say this - They took a couple weeks to break in, weren't particularly comfortable and couldn't really distinguish between the left and right sides. My feet are perfectly normal. Now I see that the right foot thin liner is placed directly over the rubber waffle-like sole! Its like walking on waffle squares! I should have noticed this from the beginning. There is no padding; just the waffle top of the sole and a red liner. You can totally feel the squares on your heel. The slippers look nice and the exterior and soles are fine but they are basically clunky uncooperative mules. I just spent $100 and ordered some Uggs cause I I am ready for some quality. Never really likes these Tamarac slippers and now I see exactly why. Not recommended.
on December 16, 2015
So after 3 months these slippers have fallen apart. The back of the slipper where the thread holds the edge on comes apart as you will see in the picture. These are great slippers, great fit and they just look good but only get 3 months use......
on February 26, 2014
I have been wearing these slippers often for about 2 months now, and the right slipper has just completely fallen apart.

The problem is that the stitching (or connection) between the tough, rubber-like sole and the comfortable, fleece inside is nothing but thin cotten string.

This is clearly a design flaw, probably through cost cutting measures.

If they had used a stiching that was durable, then this would be a decent slipper.

However, now that it as come apart, I can see that it is just a thin cotten sheath lightly stitched to a tough rubber bottom. Shoddy design, bad materials, and not insulated properly at all.

These are fake, probably China made, slippers. They look and feel ok, but are really made like crap.
on March 9, 2017
I've been wearing these for a year now and they are just great! They do stretch a bit over time, but that is what should happen. They are sturdy when they need to be and always cozy.
Other than a bit of wear on the bottoms, these look as they did when I got them! Very well made. I've run to the store a few times in them and they handle well! They are handsome, so it's not completely obvious you're wearing slippers.

Buy these for yourself or give as a gift to someone who likes simple and modest slippers. They are warm, but breathe well too. Buy with confidence!

Highly recommended.
on April 25, 2016
My husband has very specific ideas about the perfect slipper. I took a calculated risk when I bought them without his input but the reviews were high and the feedback from previous buyers were helpful and thorough. It turns out, the slippers fit all my husband's slipper parameters: back of the shoe at the heel is not too low or two high, sturdy construction, breathable, waterproof sole that can wear well for trips to the mailbox or in the backyard, not too flashy or trendy or hipster, comfy cozy, good support. It was my anniversary gift to him and was wildly successful. He loves them. I will definitely buy them again.
on September 1, 2015
Not as nice as the authentic Tempur-Pedic slippers these replace, but at a fraction of the price they are a win. I rated them "No" on arch support because there is none but it's not a flaw or feature of any slippers I've owned. Just a side note that the box is decorated with a lot of verbiage about the family tradition of this brand and the American origin of the name, but like every other manufactured item in the US market place they are just made in some factor in China like everything else. Nothing special.
on June 20, 2013
Best slippers ever! This is my 3rd pair of these babies. They look good, have a great fit, have a nice amount of cushioning for your foot, have the plaid material inner liner that doesn't make your feet sweat (and then leave the slippers cold and damp for the next time you wear them like so many other slippers), and the rubber on the bottom is ample enough for me to go to the mailbox, get the newspaper, walk a little in the backyard, etc. Also, they are stitched and sewn together very well so I've had no problems with them coming apart at the seams even though my puppy likes to chew on this new pair and my last (older pair). Highly recommend! Oh, and I usually wear a size 12 in sneakers (maybe 11 - 11 1/2 in dress shoes) and the size 12 fits my perfectly.
on January 11, 2016
Not sure about the life expectancy as I just received them today. But they fit great and slip on easily. I wear a 10.5-11 shoe and purchased the size 11. Soft cushiony sole
review image

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.