Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now Ellen

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 22 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 59 reviews
on April 5, 2012
I think "Stray Paper" may have been the first Tift Merritt song I ever heard, and it's still one of my favorites---the strong acoustic guitar and her driving voice grab your attention from the very beginning. Her wonderful voice is definitely the main attraction of the entire record, and it never disappoints. The production on the record is warm and engaging, and the musicianship is top notch---they really took their time assembling a great team. I think this record really opened up Tift's audience, and it's easy to see why. I know it's a few years old by now, but I listen to it often and think it sounds just as good as when it was first released.
on February 13, 2017
I was happy with my purchase of this cd and would definitely buy from this seller again.
on August 2, 2016
Good CD..This artist writes and performs her own work...and does it wonderfully....This is one you need to hear..!!!
on December 8, 2004
Congratulations to Tift for her 2004 Country Album of the Year nomination. Those of us who have worn out our CD players listening to "Tambourine" and her earlier "Bramble Rose" are delighted that she's getting the praise she deserves.

The nomination is particularly amazing and gratifying because Tift is Tift -- no formula Country style here. Yet her songwriting, voice, and phrasing make it impossible for the all-too-often manufactured-talent music industry to ignore her. Still, the CD only hints at the energy and authenticity of her live performances. If you can, be sure to catch her in concert.

Meanwhile, until you get to see Tift live, get both CD's. And based on the reservoir of wonderful songs we've heard Tift perform here in NC that aren't on her first two releases, save room on your shelf for many more albums!
on April 21, 2006
I was channel surfing the other day and landed on GAC (Great American Country)and this video was playing by a beautiful young blonde lady who first caught my eye then she caught my ear and then she caught my soul. I was amazed at this woman's soulfulness. I had heard some of her stuff with the Two Dollar Pistols but nothing prepared me for the sound she has found. I am hooked. One reviewer said she wouldn't be able to sell this stuff and he is probably right. If the stations that play all that redneck rock would play some real music I guarantee it would sell. Tift Merritt deserves to be a big star and while she may never be a huge success I believe she will be able to have a long career especially if she continues to put out the caliber of music on this disc. If you like great writing, great hooks and great singing buy this album you will not regret it
on October 25, 2004
It would be hard to put out a better album than this. I wouldn't say it's a great work of art or anything pretentious like that, but like the reviewer from Virginia said below, it's just a real fun mixture of rock, soul, and ballads, paced nicely with lots of contrast. The production and engineering are outstanding. Nice clean professional sound. The arrangments are much richer than on her first album and the musicians really let it rip on the loud numbers. If you have a big space and have some people over, turn it up and let them enjoy. I hear a lot of echoes of different artists. The first couple songs have arrangements that remind me of Fleetwood Mac at its peak with Lindsey Buckingham-style guitar solos. Good Hearted Man has a horn section that pays homage to songs like Midnight Train to Georgia while Plainest Thing sounds like Sarah Maclachan to me. Laid a Highway goes straight into Springsteen territory. There isn't a bad song on this. The only thing I can find negative to say about it is that I don't think her voice has enough huskiness and molasses to measure up to the Dusty Springfield comparisons, and on I Am Your Tambourine she comes in late on the vocals. Small quibbles. A lot of fun. The artist and her team have done a terrific job.
on December 22, 2016
Great cd
on June 16, 2015
Tift Merritt is an amazing artist, and her vocals are spot-on on this well-assembled album. One of her best.
on March 14, 2013
She has a one of kind beautiful voice. She is talented in that she not only sings wonderfully she also writes all of her songs. She is an amazing talent. I just wish more people knew of her...spread the word! She is the best thing out there!!!
on April 7, 2014
Tift Merritt has a wonderful voice and great lyrics in her songs. The instrumental melodies and performance make the album a must for Rock/Folk/Country devotees.