Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 9, 2017
This lens is build for full frame (FX) sensor dslr, but you can also use it for half frame (DX) sensor dslr. I have no problem using it on my Nikon D-80 and Nikon D-700. If you use it in a DX dslr, the range will become 42-112.5mm. It is a lot lighter compared to the Nikon version. It is way cheaper as well. This lens use 67mm filter. The sharpness and bokeh effect at F2.8 is acceptable. Although this lens do not come with any image stabilization, but it do provide constant f/2.8 aperture throughout the entire zoom range. But I have to admit the auto-focus will start hunting in low light condition, where the Nikon version will not have this issue. I have been using this lens mainly for portrait shot until I recently upgraded to the Nikon 24-70mm F2.8. Sometime I will run into the F-- error, normally when it happen I either turning the camera off and than on again, or I just removed then lens from the camera and put it back gain. That will normally solve the problem.
on June 20, 2013
I purchased this lens about two months ago for my Pentax kx. I took it to a recent trip to Cancun, use it on a couple indoor activities with friends, and to a visit to Cincinnati Butterfly Conservatory. So far, I am pleased with the results obtained, but I am still learning how to use it to its full potential.

What I like so far:
1. The constant aperture helps with indoor activities and when trying to play with low DOF effects.
2. Sharpness is good at 2.8, and it gets real good after F4.0. Handheld shooting still gives acceptable sharpness with low light. So far I have done most of the shooting with ISO at no more than 800, mostly between 100 and 400. Overall is better than the kit lens.
3. Color saturation is very beautiful. On some shots the subjects look like coming out of the frame or picture plane.
4. I like the bookeh it creates. Like I said, the constant aperture makes it very versatile to play with DOF and makes very good effects.
5. Lens construction looks and feels sturdy.

What I wish was better:
1. Focusing can hunt in low light with busy subjects.
2. At times it does front focus or back focus when light is poor. Takes a bit of getting use to adjusting position or selecting the focus location manually. This is what I normally do anyway so it is not a big problem for me.
3. It is heavy which probably can be alleviated by getting a neck strap with a bit of padding.
4. It is bigger than other mid-zoom lens options. For example it is longer (when closed) than my Sigma 28-300, which would be considered a super zoom.

As stated earlier I am still learning how to use it. Sometimes I forget about the shallow DOF at 2.8 and some of the subject is not sharp. This however is a user fault (me ;o)) rather than the lens. I suppose the more I practice, the better pictures I will produce with my new lens.

Before purchased it, I considered the Pentax 16-55 and the Sigma but I chose this one because:

1. The additional long end zoom (75mm). Ended sacrificing a bit of wide angle for the longer zoom.
2. The sample pictures I saw on a comparison made by DP review between the Pentax, the Sigma, and the Tamron. Not all the pictures were better, but the difference was not as great to justify exceeding my budget.
3. The fact that it is a full frame (I know my camera has a cropped sensor but the larger image circle helps control vignetting).
4. Overall cost. I really wanted to spend less than 500 dollars and this lens fit the bill.

Hopefully this helps you in your search. I will post some pictures to share. Thanks!
review imagereview imagereview image
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on October 11, 2015
Despite its build quality, which is worrisome compared to other full-frame lenses (hence the four stars), it's actually a great piece, in my opinion. It's colors seemed more vibrant in the reds and blues when I first used it, compared to my other lenses, which was good since I was shooting onstage costume photography at the time. Still, it truly is a full-frame lens, and when used in conjunction with a crop-sensor body camera, as I do (Nikon D7000), it will give you the 1.5x "magnification," so 28mm is actually 42mm on a crop-sensor. Constant native f/2.8 aperture makes it a consistently brighter lens throughout the range of f/stops and gives a nicer shallow depth of field when you want to make your subjects stand out from the background. I *might* try to take some pictures to accompany this review in the future, but I tend only to use it as backup, so we'll see. Having said that, I might recommend getting a couple of these, since they're a bit more affordable--and seem easily breakable (but still a good buy).
2 helpful votes
on September 13, 2016
I bought this lens because I needed a backup walk-around zoom. It takes a bit of getting used-to that this lens does not have the flexibility of my other general-purpose zoom (18-135, f3.5-5.6). I especially miss being able to go wider. But, that is not Tamron's fault; it's exactly according to the specs I used when making a purchasing decision. I have not tested it wide open, but hope to play around later, pushing its limits(f2 at 75mm). The one feature I like a lot is the zoom lock switch. The action on this switch is not great; I wish it worked smoother, but I still appreciate the feature because of how much I get annoyed by zoom creep. The image quality has been acceptable for a lens in this price range. I would have given it five stars if not for the tricky zoom-lock switch. I love that feature, but wish the actual switch had better action. I think I should be able to use my gear without stopping to concentrate... pulling my focus away from photographic subjects.
0Comment|Report abuse
I purchased this lens several months ago for my Nikon D700 and after comprehensive testing took it on several photo-trips. To date I've shot almost 2000 images with this lens. The review below is based on the sample of the lens I currently own. Due to possible sample variations other samples may be better or worse than mine.

The pros:

1) This is a very sharp lens at all apertures. Specifically, it is UNIFORMLY sharp across the entire frame at any aperture (with one minor exception noted below and that may be a sample variation). Distortion is controlled rather well at all zoom settings. The lens reaches its peak optical performance by f11 at all zoom settings.

2) Although the lens is not designated as "macro", the close-focusing capability of this lens makes it a good choice for some macro applications.

3) The lens is very well built, light-weight and compact.

4) Considering its current price and outstanding optical quality this lens is an exceptional value.

The cons:

1) At apertures wider than f11 there is a ~ 1mm area of the unsharp focus on the extreme right side of the frame (camera in horizontal position). This is completely gone by f11. I do not consider this an issue, since the area in question is very easy to crop out. I am noting it here for the sake of completeness.

2) At 28mm to 35mm zoom range I encounter frequent AF errors, but since the focus is constant over the entire zoom range, I focus at 75mm, turn off the autofocus and zoom to compose and shot. Otherwise, the autofocus performance is average and unremarkable.

I have taken one star off to account for the two "cons" above.

Summary:

This lens is at least as good as or better than comparable Nikkors at a fraction of price, size and weight. I highly recommend this lens for all general photographic applications.
on June 7, 2015
This lens is incredible for the price. I am nothing but impressed. I'm just starting out and couldn't afford Canon's 24-70 2.8. This was a great alternative.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on July 23, 2015
A great lens for anyone on a budget looking to buy a versatile fast lens. Sure, the 24-70 2.8 is great, but at a higher cost. I've had no issues with this as a advanced digital photographer. The AF is quick, decent build quality thought the lens hood broke rather easily, yet saved the glass. I'm sure there's better lens hoods to be had over the 5$ one I purchased. For under 300$ this is a great upgrade of a lens for anyone building a name as a professional wedding photographer as well a great work horse of a lens.

I plan on buy a 70-200mm 2.8 and what ever the wider mm lens would be that feathers into a 24-70 (the holy trinity of Nikon lenses) once I purchase the other 2 lenses from the trinity, I will probably replace the 28-75mm to the 24-70mm. For now, this is a investment for those on a budget that I highly recommend. 290$ for a darn near pro lens..

Unless you get a crappy version sent to you (which you can send back) this is well worth buying. I would suggest looking into some reviews, seeing that this lens can have some issues on the higher end of scrutiny on high end professional standards. As a "prosumer" lens, grade A+ for cost to return quality.
on October 13, 2015
Absolutely love this lens. Great general, all-purpose lens. I use it for all event photography and use it as my main lens. Great lens to bring if you don't want to be lugging other lenses around with you. When holding it, it feels like it's built from real solid material. A tad heavy, which makes me feel confident in its build quality.

My only critique is the fact that it zooms like a Nikon lens (turning the opposite way as Canon to zoom in and out). Switching back and forth between this Tamron and Canon zoom lenses is sometimes disorienting. Other than that, incredible wide-open aperture for a zoom lens and at a great price for this quality lens.
2 helpful votes
on July 12, 2017
This is my standard, walking around, all purpose, go to lens for Canon APS-C cameras. I have shot everything from weddings to sporting events (albeit from the sideline as the zoom is not really long). I love the sharpness and clarity I get from this lens. You can get better image quality out of L series lenses at 3-4x cost, sure, but for me this has been my favorite lens for years.
on May 7, 2017
I'm heading to Ireland this summer and will be backpacking part of the way. I always struggle with what lenses I want to lug around while traveling. I decided to give this one a try based on the reviews. I just took it for a test drive while taking pictures for a friend's baby shower. These pictures turned out very well! I'm excited to use this as my walk around lens while traveling this summer!