Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 327 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 892 reviews
on June 16, 2017
This is a wonderful book for all ages to enjoy. It is engaging from the very beginning clear through to the last word. I mourned when it was over! I work at a middle school and was excited when I realized it was in our curriculum! I told the kids they were going to love this story, and sure enough, they did!
on October 11, 2016
The book I loved it. I mean how any times do you get go into depth like that. The book in my opinion had a great way to express what was happening and it showed what life is like without any romance or drama the book just showed life through a child's eyes & I was just so glad how the story got resolved and how it shows what life can be like for a kid with disabilities
on March 19, 2016
This is such a great book! I absolutely love it. It's a very great book which I would recommend it! It does say 1 curse word from what I have read in it , that may not be a huge deal but still I think it's good to know.

This story never gets boring something big is always happening!

I got a used book and it came in, in just a few days and I did a normal shipping. When it came in I was expecting it to be in bad condition but it was in fantastic shape. There was just a little bended part on the edge of the book cover which isn't a big deal to me!!
review image
on October 23, 2015
I bought this for my 11-year-old daughter, but ended up reading it myself from cover to cover on the day it arrived. I ordered it because I knew she'd be interested in the soccer theme, but in the end it was much more than that. The well written story included a comparison of life in the middle class vs. the working migrant class, the favored athletic child vs. the overlooked nerdy child, with some fun settings mixed in (daily lightning strikes, underground fires, and a giant sinkhole). I couldn't wait to see how the plot lines would be resolved. It was very enjoyable and easy to read.
on August 3, 2010
I originally picked up this book because of the awards it received that were listed on the back cover. I wondered if it really deserved all of those awards and decided to find out for myself if it was a great book.

It is.

In this unique, coming-of-age story, author Edward Bloor creates a realistic tale that is at once engaging, humorous and filled with great twists.

Paul Fisher wants just one thing - to play soccer - and he's not about to let anything stop him. Not the fact that he is legally blind, not the fact that his father only supports older brother Erik's football dream (while all but ignoring Paul), and not even the fact that he must suddenly play on a team where the majority is the minority and his teammates are a rough bunch.

Older brother Erik has always tormented Paul, but their parents don't see it . . . or they refuse to see it. As a reader, I was angered at what Erik gets away with, but Paul quietly accepts it - just as he quietly accepts the fact that he wears the Coke-bottle glasses that make him so different from everyone else. Another thing that only Paul seems to realize is that Tangerine County, Florida, (to where they have just moved) isn't well suited for human habitation. Not only do they now live in the lightning-strike capital of the United States, they are also plagued with sinkholes, muck fires and swarms of mosquitoes. As long as he's able to play soccer though, Paul will put up with a lot.

Naturally, when Paul's opportunity to play soccer is yanked away, Paul is devastated, but then a sudden twist of fate presents Paul with a new chance to play - and a whole new set of challenges. As Paul bravely confronts the obstacles that come his way, his older brother's increasingly disturbing behavior causes events around Paul to slowly spiral out of control. Eventually Paul must find the courage to stop quietly accepting things and show others the truth that they have refused to see all along.
on October 14, 2016
Touching story, a younger brother is overshadowed by his abusive brother and his parents do not believe him, yet his parents do show him love and respect as well, I admire that. The ending was genuine, but disappointing, perhaps a bit rushed, no feeling of wanting to make you cry in tears out of happiness. I wish the ending was more precise on what was going to happen to him next, but I know he would be well.
on April 9, 2015
I picked this book up because my seventh grade boys are reading it for English, and I wanted to be able to discuss it with them, and I can't wait for them to get further in.
Bloor skillfully and engaging manages tough topics. Prejudice. Privilege. Bullying. Standing by while others transgress moral and legal boundaries. Child abuse. Most importantly, the book follows seventh grade Paul in his journey toward personal integrity.
As an avid reader, I thoroughly enjoyed it. As a parent, I could kiss the author for the deep and meaningful sub texts in this "soccer story."
on March 13, 2017
granddaughter's for school - states it was okay.
on June 22, 2017
great book
on December 30, 2015
The plot of Tangerine, a work of realistic fiction, moves quick for the most part and keeps readers engaged. It is a thought-provoking read, as it shares the story while providing an illuminating view of the utter depravity of our culture. Would recommend for older students, especially in a book club format supported by plenty of discussion. Not recommended for younger, independent readers.