Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now FFII_gno Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 179 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 328 reviews
Funny - as I finished reading this beautiful book for the first time, one of my old favorite songs (by Hal David/Burt Bacharach) as a child growing up in the 60's started playing in my head...

What the world needs now is love sweet love,
It's the only thing that there's just too little of.
What the world needs now is love sweet love,
No not just for some but for everyone!

The simplicity of the words husband and husband team Justin Richardson and Peter Parnell have used to tell the true story of a couple of male chinstrap penguins (Roy and Silo) at New York's Central Park Zoo, who had paired off as a couple and were given an extra fertilized egg to hatch on their way to becoming a family unlike any of the zoo's other animal families (but a family nonetheless!), makes this book a perfect way to begin naturally introducing the concepts of acceptance and inclusion to youngsters. The soft illustrations by Henry Cole are such a nice complement to the story - I'm really looking forward to sharing this special book with our four grandchildren, who will most certainly be meeting many families of varying composition during their lifetimes! The way baby Tango and his dads are welcomed by the children coming to see them after his birth is a good "footprint in the sand" to leave on a child's growing sense of the world around them.

I'm a dozen years late in my personal discovery of the book, so I missed the brouhaha surrounding its 2005 publication, having appeared on the American Library Association's Office for Intellectual Freedom's "Top Ten Most Challenged Book List" from 2006-2010, reappearing in 2012, and - sadly - again as late as 2014. This is such a gentle book, and to imagine literature that celebrates the love and devotion of parents would ever appear on such a list is disheartening. This is a sweet book that talks of the desire to share a home and a family (I'll type the text in the comment section below for parents/grandparents to read for themselves if they're on the fence about the book.) The younger of my two sons is gay, has been in a committed and happy relationship with his partner for seven years, and should they eventually marry and decide to begin a family, it would be so painful to the heart of this mother to see his family shunned or ridiculed. I hope the authors have not experienced it since the birth of their own daughter, little Gemma, whom I suppose is about 8 years old now and feeling very loved and secure.

Children are drawn to books about animals, there aren't too many animals cuter or funnier than penguins, and if you're a parent or grandparent who's searching for ways to begin opening your child's mind to the concept of the different types of families they'll encounter (or may be a part of!) along life's journey, as I myself have been, I think "And Tango Makes Three" is a nice place to start.
on September 14, 2017
My son and me love to read this book, the illustrations are very cute too. I really like that it is a true story and that it depicts a lot of our beloved central park zoo.
on June 10, 2013
This story is so cute and the fact that it is real blew my mind. I got this story for my friend's baby shower who requested that everyone bring a book to build her soon to be son's library. I thought it was a great story to teach diversity, after I read it I thought I will be getting this for everyone of my friends children. I do not have my own kid but when I do this will be one of the first books I get. I think its a great one that you can read to them and one day they can read themselves. It teaches love a diversity and that is just a great thing!
on August 10, 2013
I bought this book for two male friends who are married and in the process of adopting their first child. This story is sweet and something that children and adults can connect with. This story discusses the life of a family of penguins, their habits, lifestyles and more. It then introduces two male penguins who adopt an egg that another penguin couple couldn't care for and raise it as their own. I would highly recommend this book!
on August 26, 2016
This is another book that I added to my independent study syllabus for multicultural childrens fiction as I had a week dedicated to homosexuality too. I have kept it since then and cannot wait to share it with my future children. There are many family structures out there and at the end of the day this is a book about two penguins caring for an egg. The adult penguins are both male and you should know this before purchasing the book and look for other stories if you don't want this in your household. I think it's a cute and fun way to become introduced to a family structure.
on December 5, 2016
This is a great book for children. I read this book because I wanted a book for future students who might be adopted into or are from two parents of the same gender. I also am writing a paper on banned books and the controversy of the subject. This book is a banned book in many schools but it should be introduced to more children, especially to have children relate and feel like they are represented. I recommend it to children, especially children who are facing adoption.
on July 21, 2013
I AM A SECOND GRADE TEACHER AND I READ THIS TO MY CLASS. THE KIDS LOVED IT AND ASKED FOR IT TO BE READ AGAIN AND AGAIN. IT'S A REALLY CUTE, TRUE STORY. TWO OF MY CLASSROOM PARENTS HAD AN ISSUE WITH IT BEING READ IN CLASS DUE TO THE FACT THAT IT IS A STORY ABOUT TWO MALE PENGUINS HATCHING AN EGG. IT WON A LOT OF AWARDS, BUT IT SEND UP RED FLAGS TO THE CONSERVATIVE FOLKS.
on January 27, 2016
As an animal lover and grown daughter of a kindergarten teacher, I suggested my mother add this to her classroom's library. Although she hasn't had a chance to read it to her students yet, this book is a great way to teach children about how penguins raise their young, regardless of the uncommon circumstances. Besides, no matter where you stand on the political spectrum, there's no denying that at least the illustrations are adorable!
on June 14, 2016
A cute book but a controversial one at that. Tango has two dads so if that is something that bothers you or you don't want to explain to a young child that might not be around diversity then you may not want to get it. However it could be a nice book to introduce it to a child. I'm a teacher and wouldn't read it to my kiddos at school because it is on a lot of do not read at school lists but I wouldn't be afraid to read it to my own kids. Love is love.
on June 19, 2016
A cute story to introduce different types of families to your little one. I bought this to read to my toddler, he doesn't really have the patience to sit for it. Hopefully he'll sit better for stories as he gets closer to the recommended age. My deduction of a star is for the quality of the board book. The pages are much thinner and less sturdy than board books usually are, and I don't know how it'll hold up to my toddler's destructive tendencies.