Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: TaoTronics® TT-CC01 Car License Mount Rear View Video Backup Camera with 7 LED Night Vision (Waterproof IP67/ Color CMOS/ 135 Degree Viewing Angle/ Distance Scale Line)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ryley Walker Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

on June 18, 2012
My last backup camera is a CCD camera. It got broken in a bad storm when i drove through Kansas in March, and stopped working since then. Last week, I decided to install another one. But this one is not what i wanted then, acctually I myself trusted in CCDs, but my wife bought this CMOS camera for she had no conception about CCD and CMOS. However, i have to say that this one did not upset me when i install it on my car. Certainly, no one CMOS camera's image quality can match that of CCD camera's in recent. There always exists some visible or invisible gap between them. But overall i am satisfied with this item, it gets a comfortable picture for me. And the night vision is good, the IR light functions well, neither sharp nor dim. Among the CMOS cameras in the market, it's a really nice one. Besides, at the price it is very cheap.
55 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2012
This unit is not bad at all!
Installation was average for this type of unit. I have a 2005 Ford F150, so for the video cable, it came from the head unit (Pioneer P3400bh) I just followed the floorboards to a grommet towards the back of the cab. Routed the cables following the rear light lines (making sure to secure every 1-2 ft) and to the unit on the license plate.

The power was a little more difficult. The cables are TINY. I had no connection tappers that were that small (so smaller than 22 gauge). Ended up having to mod a tapper so that I soldered the power cable/ground to the metal part of the tapper and tap into the Black/pink strip reverse light cable and ground. Ended up making a solid connection and the camera only turns on when I reverse.

For California, We have a month/dmv tag on the top left and right of the license plate. This WILL cover them up. So I cut the extra plastic off the camera so it wouldn't cover those tags. Still works fine.

Quality is not bad at all for a CMOS camera and night vision is superb. Don't know about actually waterproofing, but we'll see!

All-in-all, for how cheap this was, it's perfect.

UPDATE:

After about 6 months of use, and it's first california moderate rainstorm, it's taken on a little bit of water. It works, but I'm currently taking it apart, getting any liquid out, and sealing it all with silicon, will repaint it as well. The wires attached are just bad too. While i'm in there, i'm going to see if i can swap them out for better quality wires. -1 star
1010 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2012
So far so good! I was an electrical engineer. I tested the whole system before installation to make sure everything would work. Don't waste time running all the wires and then couldn't make it work. If you tie the ground wire to the body and the camera won't turn on, then you should shunt both wires to the two reverse light wires. Positive to positive and minus to minus. I guess one of the reviewers had this problem. Some cars have special designs but I don't have time to trace the circuits.
I installed the camera under/behind the bumper near the spare tire chamber. I ran the wires through the rubber hole and didn't have to cut the wires. The viewing angle is adjustable but 135 degrees might not be enough for some people. The LEDs with sensor work but not bright enough. I don't like the color lines on the screen but some people like them. The quality of the CMOS camera is great and I like the price too.
on December 1, 2012
I'll start by saying that the image quality on this camera is great, and I don't mean "for a $20 camera". I mean it's better video quality that my iPhone. It also seems to be made of quality materials and looks nice enough mounted on my license plate.

There were two things I didn't not like about the product though. While it does include "instructions", they are absolutely useless. They only explain the warranty and show a picture of the camera mounted to a license plate. I think it's pretty self-explanatory though. The included video cable was also about five feet too short for my crew cab pickup, but that was easy enough to splice. Neither of these things were enough to make me say I would not but it again though because they were such easy fixes.

I would definitely recommend this camera. If it stops working I will edit my review accordingly.

7/17/2014 Update: This camera is still working just as good as the day I installed it.
on December 4, 2012
I received this camera with my Amazon shipment a couple days ago and was excited to get it installed since my rear spoiler and window tint make seeing out the back near impossible, especially at night. I wired it up following the instructions closely and took apart my whole interior to run the wires, which is no easy task on my car.

It simply would not turn on. So, I ran wires again to hook it up to direct power at the front instead of using the reverse light circuit thinking maybe that was causing an issue. Still no activity from the camera. This makes me furious because I've spent hours pulling my interior apart and running wires for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

I have tried calling customer service multiple times during their listed business hours and get sent to voicemail, what a joke. So now I have to spend time removing the camera and wires so I can return it.

Complete waste of my time and money, I was encouraged by the positive reviews on here but apparently I got screwed over with a bad unit.
77 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2014
I recently bought a travel trailer and decided to install a rear view camera. I found this one and I wound up buying two of them. One for the back of the trailer and one for the back of my pickup. Now I can see what is behind my trailer plainly and
and also see behind my truck when I am not pulling my trailer. It is so handy to be able to see my trailer ball and hitch when I am hooking up to my trailer. Works wonderfully.
on October 18, 2014
Camera worked good for a while but then it got condensation under the lens and now it is unusable. The image quality is not great but it is OK, I would probably give 5 stars if it wasn't for the condensation.
review image
on November 7, 2012
First, i need to admit, I am not mechanically inclined, so i had this installed professionally. but anyway, once installed i was happy, because due to a recent incident i am paralyzed on my left side and can no longer look over my shoulder when parking and backing up. the angle on this camera is very wide, however, i would still warn you that you will still need to use your side view mirrors when backing up. I learned that hard way after scrapping amount of paint off the side of my rear bumper. the only downside to this camera i would say is that during day time when the sun is intense, everything is washed out in whiteness, but that is expect since there is no way to control the cameras aperture to limited the amount of light coming into the unit. I do greatly enjoy this camera, because it has markings that allow you to determine how close an object is behind you when reversing ie(another car when parallel parking)Today, because of the nor eastern that is hitting the east coast, I had the opportunity to use it in the rain and snow, and the visibility is still great, no problems what so ever. also not to forget, for night time, your vision is still clear and you can see everything behind you. I would definitely recommend this camera to all those interested in having a back up camera in their vehicle.
on September 27, 2012
Make sure you pay attention to the viewing angle. I didn't, and am not entirely happy with the 135 degree field of view. But I have my camera mounted in the center of my spare tire on the back of my Jeep Wrangler, so it is much higher off the ground than it would be on a normal car or truck. Since my main goal was to be able to see how close I am to the vehicle behind me when parallel parking, I think this will still do the trick. And it was my fault for not paying attention to the viewing angle.

The image is relatively clear and has a surprising amount of color, even at night. No problems identifying objects in the display. The distance scale grid doesn't seem to match up with any standard measurements, but that might because I have it mounted higher than normal.

Overall, it seems to perform as advertised. If I had noticed the narrow angle of view I probably would have selected a different model. I think you need at least 160 degrees to be confident that there's nothing or nobody behind you before backing up -- particularly in a Wrangler with its high stance and very limited view out the back window.

*** UPDATE 11-30-12 ***

After our first snow of the season the image quality got significantly worse. At first I thought it was road salt on the lens but cleaning did not help. I checked the lens and the outer protective cover is clear, as is the recessed lens inside, but I see some white deposits causing me to believe moisture must have gotten inside. I don't see any other reports of similar problems, so maybe it was an isolated manufacturing defect with mine.
on November 15, 2012
I ordered this for my husband and he loves it I have only had it for a couple of months and the warranty has expired but it stopped working due to water and now I have to purchase another one. I hope this one is better water proofed than the last one.