Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Targus Digital Tripod with 3-Way Panhead, 66-Inch (TG-6660TR)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Size: 66-Inch|Change

on February 12, 2010
This is an excellent tripod for the money!

QUALITY

The tripod is well-built and should have no problem standing up to ordinary wear-and-tear. The aluminum frame is pretty solid. Although the various adjustment knobs and height-crank are made of plastic, they are durable and should last quite a while so long as they aren't abused.

USABILITY

Unlike my older tripod, the TGT-58TR has a handle mounted to the center beam. This is an excellent feature, especially for shooting in colder climates during winter. Aluminum bars can be very cold on the hands in such conditions, so having a durable plastic carrying handle is a welcome relief.

Expensive tripods usually advertise the ease of making height, rotation, and angle adjustments. Although this tripod is undoubtedly a budget model compared to high-end pieces of equipment, the controls work rather well. It has no problem supporting the weight of my Nikon D5000.

OVERALL

The Targus TGT-58TR is a budget tripod, so you shouldn't expect miracles from it. Considering its modest cost, however, it performs commendably and should last a while if it isn't excessively abused. I'm definitely happy with this piece of equipment.

UPDATE!!!

In September 2010, this tripod finally broke. In all, it lasted for about 3/4 of the year in 2010 and faithfully held my camera for roughly 200 miles of hiking all over Connecticut (as well as in Alabama, Vermont, and Maine). It got more than its fair share of abuse over the course of my travels, and considering its low price, this tripod definitely served me well.

I'm writing this update in February 2011 and I've long-since replaced this tripod with a more expensive Manfrotto unit that allows for use of a ball-head... my needs have simply become more complex over the course of the last year, warranting a costly upgrade in my equipment. But for those of you looking for a super-affordable, budget tripod, I still recommend this unit. A quality product that performs well given it's incredibly low price point.
1010 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2007
This model is actually tons sturdier than the smaller model the other reviewer mentioned. The 55" is very small, thin, and flimsy while the 66" model has thick legs, an oversized head, oversized knobs, swivel feet. Great item for the price (i paid $40) i think...
on February 28, 2010
I've never owned a tripod before, so I was pleased to find that this tripod is very easy to use. Packed & folded, it's about two feet long. Once you've extended the legs, and raised the platform, you're at about five feet, and rock solid. Pull back a release lever, and the video/photo platform detaches from the tripod (making it MUCH easier to attach the camera). And you can thread the platform screw into the camera from underneath (with an easy to grip handle attached to the screw), so you don't need to "spin" the camera onto the platform (I admit, I did this the first time before I noticed the handle underneath). Snap the camera/platform back onto the tripod (securing it again with the release lever), and your camera is practically at eye level (I'm about 5'8"). A nice large handle extends horizontally, making any up-down or left-right adjustments very easy.

Besides that, there are two bubble level indicators (so no more crooked photos, I guess). There are flexible rubber "feet" at the end of each leg, so you'd be nice and stable on, say, a smooth floor (the camera won't slide away from you - and the legs won't scratch the floor). Well, I'm good to go, but there are a couple of other handles, levers & knobs on there - let me check the booklet...

Well, the big handle right under the top of the legs is for lifting and moving the whole tripod (duh!). And here's a good one: the little knob on the side of the platform loosens a hinge, so you can tilt the whole camera up to 90 degrees sideways (perfect for those tall family members, or to get the whole waterfall into the picture). While we're on the topic of freedom of movement: you can aim the camera straight up to the sky - and then some; and you can aim it directly down to the ground - and then some.

A great product. I highly recommend it. Looks and feels like it will last a long time, too (if you don't abuse it, of course). I'm not a professional photographer. These are just observations from a regular guy.
I just got back from the neighborhood Ross Dress For Less, where I just pick this up for $8.99. I had been wanting a tripod since I replaced by first digital camera with the Canon A590.

My former roommate had a tripod lying around and so it wasn't urgent that I get one immediately, but since I recently moved the time had definitely come. If I'm not mistaken, he also had a Targus tripod--the model # escapes me. I skimmed through Amazon some months back pricing models, but uncertain about how much to spend versus what could I get by with. I decided in the end to table the matter.

About this Targus tripod... it's a good deal, if you can get it for $10. Why? It has two extensions beyond its standard height and I would only cautiously recommend extending this only once, but not fully extended. This model is designed to extend up to 4'. Once you take it out of the box--nicely packaged, btw-- you discover that the tripod "feet" have three (3) "secure" locks which keeps the two remaining extensions firmly in place. The problem is, if you attempt to use the lower legs (forgive that description) it is very, very flimsy. It looks like that fold-out toy you got when you were a kid and if you played too hard with it the legs would bend and you could never get it back to its original position. It's that flimsy.

Targus is attempting to tell you that you can use a number of cameras (SLR, Digital, pocket) as well as a camcorder. Don't believe them.

If you've got a shoot and you need a tripod for a camcorder or you've got a digital or an SLR with those heavy lens'-- the weight of that outfit will definitely not hold up if you're thinking about putting this extendable tripod. The thin (and, we're talking almost razor-thin) aluminum was shaking in my hand as I started to extend it from underneath the two outer extensions.

Now, I don't see a problem using this for a pocket digital or maybe an SLR (or Digital) if you only use one of the extensions or use it as a desktop tripod. You should get great results.
on September 11, 2008
****AFTER MORE THAN ONE YEAR OF USAGE, I HAVE UPDATED MY REVIEW! THIS TRIPOD HAS PLEASANTLY SURPRISED ME WITH ITS DURABILITY!****

After over a year of usage, here is an update to my first review:
1) I would re-rate this tripod as a 4 instead of a 3. It has lasted much longer than I expected with no tripod failures whatsoever, just a bag strap failure which was easily fixed with a D-ring.

2) The bag is indeed not tight as Bobby states in his comment. Just make sure you loosen the pan head and fold it appropriately. There is plenty of room to fit the tripod into the bag easily without having to force it into the bag.

3) The plastic components on the bag straps are too weak to last for extended usage. I routinely strap the tripod to my back while walking/hiking. My plastic strap connector broke off and dumped the tripod on the ground. I replaced the plastic connector with a beefy metal D-ring and everything has worked fine.

4) I use the tripod outdoors regularly and have no problems to report after over one full year of usage. It works fantastic. The tripod itself has lasted much better than I expected. I still expect it to break unexpectedly at any given time, but I would go right back out and probably buy the same thing if it did break.

***ORIGINAL REVIEW IS BELOW***

Original Title: Good for Occasional Indoor Use
This tripod is composed of some relatively well manufactured aluminum (though it's questionably thin), mated to objectionably poor plastic components. Upon first use it is wise to slowly and methodically move the tripod throughout its range of motion in order to gently grind the mis-aligned plastic pieces down (especially true for raising/lowering the center mast as the mast teeth tend to catch). If you are not exceptionally careful upon first use, the aluminum pieces are likely to break the plastic components they rub against. After a few gentle uses the aluminum wears down the plastic enough to allow rougher handling without such great fear of breakage. However, it must be stated that the fear of breakage never quite leaves the user entirely. The bag that comes with the tripod is an extremely tight fit. It is tight enough that the user must be careful not to break the tripod when placing it into the bag. I can only suggest this tripod for occasional home video use. (i.e. it's okay if you just want to set up a camera in the corner and then never/rarely touch the tripod during filming.)
on January 5, 2012
I've been on the hunt for a tripod that won't break the bank, but can perform basic functions for an amateur hobby photographer. This is a great under $50 option that doesn't seem junky, and packs up nicely in a suitcase or can be thrown over your shoulder in the practical tote sling the packaging provides. It has all the options a novice needs - 2 fast release knobs to adjust height on all 3 legs, a crank to fine tune your preferred height, various locking mechanisms to safekeep your camera, and even a handy level to ensure your camera isn't at an undesirable angle. As with any new purchase, I highly advice you read the very short and simple user's guide to ensure you adjust everything correctly. This should be everyone's go to tripod in this price range, hands down.
on August 24, 2009
I bought this product awhile back and expected it to be plastic and cheap. It's actually quite sturdy. I use it for my Flip Mino and Polaroid HD camerae. The ONLY problem I have with it is:
*Careful where your fingers are at when you extend the legs. I find it easy to put my hand over the joint that keeps the leg secure cause it's easier, but indeed painful when your skin gets caught. Surprisingly, I had made that mistake a couple of times.

I'm not a professional camera person, though I love to spend my hours editing videos with green screen. For me, a college student, this is a perfect stand!
review image review image
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 21, 2010
I wanted a tripod that was good for backpacking, lightweight and had quick-release legs. This Targus is perfect. It's small but tall enough for easy use and extremely light. The head slides on easily and there's a horizontal bubble-level. When folded the tripod fits in a nice thin bag that has a drawstring. I use this for small cameras. I would not buy this tripod if you have a large SLR type camera or a large video camera and want a secure stand.
on September 2, 2015
So I needed a tripod I can carry in my backpack to do occasional videos with my Note 5. I did not want to pay $150-300 for a carbon fiber one.This tripod is very lightweight and has a nice little carrying case it comes with. It also has a tiltable head and a bubble level. I bought a little adapter to hold my phone. I know I only paid $15 for it; but the plastic clamps don't lock well and my phone almost fell. Be aware when using this. I might even carry tape for the brackets to be safe. I only gave it 3 stars because of its weakness; but especially because it shows it with a DSLR in the photo. DO NOT USE A DSLR CAMERA WITH THIS! It is not strong enough. This rig is probably most ideal with a GoPro and not a expensive phone or a camera.
review image review image
on April 17, 2006
Targus makes a series of at least five models that vary solely in height. I went with the 54" model, and you'll pay more for extra inches.

But they all have the same features, including a three-way panhead (pan left-right; tilt up/down; roll right), a bubble level (especially useful if you're on uneven ground and the 3 legs aren't extended uniformly), a quick-release locking mechanism that keeps the camera (still or video) secure but allows easy removal, easily manageable leg extensions, and a simple but functional carrying case.

The construction is a bit shoddy - don't overturn the screws, or you'll strip some plastic. But it's more than sufficient for our needs, and I generally keep it out of the bag, with the locking base attached to a camera, so that we're always on the ready to take pictures of our kids.