Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 79 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 115 reviews
on August 28, 2012
I just received this charger and, after reading other reviews have some of the same comments.
It is a bulk product, not one that comes in 'official' Targus packaging. All the parts were the same and the charger, cables and tips all looked new but there were not instructions included and the 'handy carry bag' was an inexpensive cloth bag. Fortunately I have several cases, bags, etc. that will work for this charger all of which are better quality. Since it was not mentioned in the information for the product, I've knocked 2 stars off the rating.
I did not have a problem with identifying which tip was which, the embossing was clear to me. I looked at this charger at Staples and saw which tip was used for my ASUS laptop but I doublechecked on the Targus website.
I too don't care much for the USB dongle but it was not difficult to put on and I'll leave it on.
I took a volt meter and measured the output voltage with the correct ASUS tip and found it was 19.5 volts, just as advertised so I'm not expecting any problems with overcharging. The ASUS model I have #X53E# stops charging at 95% anyway.
When assembled the cables are longer than the ASUS OEM charger and this will be handy for travelling. I'll use the OEM charger for home so I don't have to remove it. Besides, having a spare is a good idea, as far as I'm concerned.
on August 1, 2013
This purchase was to used as my dedicated travel power adapter. I didn't want to bring my OEM power adapter with me because after traveling overseas, I've learned the affects of what dirty power can do to power supplies. The main reason why I purchased this specific model was for the powered USB port. Since most standard USB ports doesn't supply enough amperage for my tablet, this would of been a good solution for when I travel so I wouldn't feel like an outlet hog.

This power adapter was used on a HP dv8000t CTO laptop. Before I bought this, I saw some reviews from people stating that the tips didn't fit their laptop. I wasn't too worried because most HP's uses the same power adapter. I'm sure there are models out there that doesn't follow suit like other models. I do know that HP isn't big on using propitiatory items. With that being said, it came with a tip that had the same fitment as my original adapter. I can't comment on the other tips since I don't have any other laptops to test on.

To start off, the advertising pictures of this product is very misleading. They depict the power cable plugging towards the front of the laptop and the USB charging port nicely set aside. I didn't catch that until I tried plugging in the power cord with the USB adapter, which is on the left side in the back. Then it dawned on me that I never seen a manufacturer place the power port in the front of the laptop. If you plug up the charger without the USB adapter, it works out great. The 90 degree angle on the connector tip helps tucking the cable along the side or the back of the laptop. Once you plug in the USB adapter with a USB cable plugged in and you have your laptop in your lap or at the edge of a desk, it makes it awkward because of the weight of the USB adapter will pull down the cable. You can easily disconnect the cable by accidentally tugging on the cable with enough tension. In order for it to work out well, you would have to have your laptop in the center of a desk larger than your laptop and be close enough to an outlet for the plug to reach.

The USB charging adapter claims to have 2.1A USB port. I plugged in my tablet (Asus Transformer Infinity TF700T) to the USB port and it did not charge it. The original tablet charger is rated at 2A. I tried using different cables to isolate the possibility of cable incompatibility. I didn't expect different cables would matter, I just tried it in case someone leaves a comment about swapping cables. I would have like to published the actual amperage of the port, but I didn't have the time or the test leads to fit in the USB port. I wanted to return this product in time to get a refund.

One thing that had me slightly worried about this adapter is that the plug only had two prongs. My original adapter had three prongs and I like the comfort of having a ground connection. The overall build of the adapter seem pretty solid. I didn't have the product long enough, but I would have to guess if you were frequently connecting and disconnecting the tip that the cable connection would come apart easily.

Overall, if you purchase this for about $20 and didn't plan to use the USB charger, this is a great product for you if you are looking for a replacement/spare.
on January 28, 2013
Overall, I like this but I do have some concerns. First off, it needs a chart or something to tell you which tip to use with your laptop. You have to contact support presently to find out which is the correct tip for your laptop. Second, with my Dell laptop, the laptop power system will occassionally tell me that I need to use a real Dell power supply; I unplug it and then plug it back in and then it appears to be okay. Based on my first week of use, I think I will only be using this in airports where I need the ability to both charge my phone and use my laptop at the same time. Will use the laptop vendors power supply's the rest of the time. Other issue is that the little adapter with the USB power port is on a "short leash", with only a couple of inches between the laptop plug and the USB power port. Like the long power cord that plugs into the wall.
on August 29, 2013
I have two of these. Very pleased. Adapters for nearly every make and model Laptop. The removable, inline USB Charging port is very handy and free's up a USB port on the laptop (it is for Charging only, it isn't a USB data port)

It has the power to run the laptop and charge simultaneously (some emergency chargers can't do both)

Has performed flawlessly and the two pronged plug actually prevents buzzing from ground loops if you plug into amplifiers or auxiliary sound systems (although it also means you're not grounded)

A great charger/powersupply at a reasonable price.
on August 9, 2012
Got this device yesterday and works well so far with our approx. 2 year old laptop.

If you are a highly 'mobile' user, and by that I mean if you move around a lot even in one place, on a bed, on a desk, or whatever, the whole inter-changeable tip things might be both a blessing and a curse. The tips have a decent amount of friction fit, but they are not cam-locked or some other form of positive lock to keep them from coming out if you give the cord a good yank. On the plus side, like Apple's MagSafe, the tip SHOULD give if you get your leg caught up and keep you from pulling your precious electronics onto the floor. Cable length is good at probably 6-7 feet plug to plug.

I gave the device 2 stars however because the ad listing does NOT disclose that this item is shipped as a BULK item. It did come in a sealed plastic baggy, along with the tips in a plastic enclosure and a travel bag that all appear to be original, though there is no way to tell for certain. There is no OEM packaging and NO instructions. I had to test fit plugs to find the right one and then hope that the power wasn't reversed. I haven't yet looked at Targus' website for instructions, I'm sure they are there as I know they have a configurator I used to insure this was compatible with our laptop.

Would buy the device again, just not from this vendor.
on June 30, 2014
I've been buying replacement power supplies for my laptop that seem to be disposable. This power supply seems more substantial and solid in the build quality. Holding it in your hand you can feel the difference. It also stays cool when charging my laptop and using it simultaneously. The others that I have been getting get very hot to the touch. I'm very happy with this power supply so far.
on August 11, 2014
Purchased this while I was away for training. I had forgotten my factory charger. To make along story short, I visited a few of the local retail shops, all wanted upwards of 60 - 100 plus dollars for a basic charger, one Radio Shack did not even "get It". Lap Top Charger, how hard a concept is that...This has a built in USB charger as well as the conventional LapTop fittings. Works great so far, bought it back in May, will update if anything changes.
on March 29, 2014
I bought this to replace the charger that came with my Toshiba laptop. I liked it enough that I bought another to keep in my lap top bag as a spare. I also like having the option to charge my cell phone at the same time. It does occasionally fall out of the laptop easier then I would like, but, on the bright side, if somebody trips over the cord, it will not pull your laptop with it. It is fairly well made, and doesn't feel cheap.
on December 4, 2014
Went with five stars because the product itself is great, but... it only fits "most" items, not all. The not included tips include the newer smaller HP tip. They are available to purchase from Targus, and occasionally customer service will send you one for free, but it's disheartening when such a widely used tip isn't part of the original set.
on June 17, 2014
I bought this to replace the original that I had lost for my HP EliteBook 8470p and thought the small size and phone charger would be really convenient. However, I get a message stating that it does not provide enough power. So, it seemed like a good idea that failed for my laptop even though the description states that it should work. Test it before the return period expires!