Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Def Leppard All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon harrypotter harrypotter harrypotter  Three new members of the Echo family Today only: Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

Customer reviews

on December 29, 2014
The book I ordered is NOT the book in the picture, which can be misleading when purchasing from Amazon. I got the 1948 edition of Burroughs publication grey boards w/ blue lettering 2nd edition. The Picture is of a 1939 hardcover 1st edition blue boards red lettering. I am very happy with this edition that the dealer that sent to me. The 1939 was the copyright date not the book I received and should NOT be used to describe this book. I feel that it was Amazon who misrepresented this book in the description category. The 1948 edition has no circle on the front of the Dust Jacket that says "The 1940 Tarzan novel". The price was very fair that I paid for in the 1948 edition that I received.
review image
on July 14, 2015
I love the Tarzan series--read them all. The characters are stereotypes; the plot has clearly defined good guys and bad guys, no wishy washy, middle-of-the-road characters with excusable traits that lead the bad boys (or girls) to make poor choices. We know Tarzan is going to prevail, but we don't always know how. Burroughs is great with action--as his many reviewers have stated. His language is his strength though. His books can enlarge almost everyone's vocabulary.
on September 24, 2013
The plot is similar to most of the books but different enough to engage adventure readers. Parents will appreciate the old fashioned courtesy the good guys show. The people may be scantily dressed, but the clothes stay on. The violence depicted is not gratuitous. I'd recommend these books for kids over twelve, and for lovers of adventure and fantasy.
on April 6, 2016
I am a big fan of both Edgar Rice Burroughs and of Tarzan as well. I really enjoy the writing style of Burroughs...he tests my vocabulary!
on December 8, 2015
My husband loved it! I bought as a gift for him. It was a book he had as a child. He was super excited and the quality was outstanding.
on May 16, 2013
I bought this item as a gift to complete someone's set of Tarzan books. This Tarzan is not the Johnny Weissmuller/Movie Tarzen, but a very intelligent man. It's too bad that this whole series of books is not being published still.
on September 27, 2010
I would rate the seller as excellent. Communication was very good and the book was described accurately. I would buy from this seller again.
on September 12, 2010
Will purchase from this seller again. Shipping was on time and product was in the condition stated in the description.
HALL OF FAMEon February 27, 2003
"Tarzan the Magnificent," the 21st book in the Tarzan series by Edgar Rice Burroughs, consists of two novellas: "Tarzan and the Magic Men" (1936) and "Tarzan and the Elephant Men" (1937), the latter of which is a minor sequel to "Tarzan and the City of Gold." In the first novella the American travel writer Stanley Wood tells a fantastic story of another one of those lost cities in the heart of Africa, where women warriors are ruled by an evil magician and there is a great diamond called the Gonfal with hypnotic powers. Tarzan dismisses the story until he sees the Gonfal at work. The result is a standard ERB adventure yarn: Tarzan goes to the lost city to rescue another lost Englishman, resists the charms and powers of a savage queen, so on and so forth. Burroughs has been using this formula since "The Return of Tarzan" when the Lord of the Jungle first encountered La, the beautiful high priestess of the flaming god of Opar. The second novella returns us to Cathne, the City of Gold, and Athne, the City of Ivory, where Tarzan takes on Phoros, the dictator of Athne. This means more political intrigue in the effort to put Zygo on the throne of Athne and another gladiator fight in the arena between the Lord of the Jungle and Hyrack. The second story really has nothing to do with the first and really constitutes little more than ERB tying up some loose ends from "Tarzan and the City of Gold" (which was also something of a misnomer of a title since all the action is in the City of Ivory in both stories).
on July 6, 2014
item was as advertised and shipping was excellent