TASCAM DR-05 Portable Digital Recorder (Version 2)
- Discontinued Model replaced by Improved DR-05X
- Built-in omni-directional microphones
- Stereo mini headphone jack for external stereo microphones (provides plug-in power) / External line input
- Tempo change (VSA) function for adjusting the speed from 0.5 to 1.5 times (in 0.1 increments)
- Chromatic tuner, Powered by 2 AA batteries, USB power or optional AC adapter (Tascam PS-P515U), MicroSD 4GB card
There is a newer model of this item:
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Your question may be answered by sellers, manufacturers, or customers who purchased this item, who are all part of the Amazon community.
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Please enter a question.
From the manufacturer
Features at a glance
- Stereo condenser microphones for lively, high-quality sound and high-resolution recording
- Captures loud sounds of up to 125dB SPL, making it ideal for loud band recordings
- Peak reduction function that detects peaks and automatically sets the optimal level
Stereo Portable Digital Recorder
TASCAM’s DR-05 brings high-quality stereo recording to an easy-to-use portable powerhouse with a size and price that anyone can handle. The DR-05 records in MP3 or WAV format – including 96kHz/24-bit high-resolution audio – to microSD or microSDHC media. A pair of all-new microphones handles up to 125dB SPL with the sensitivity to capture every detail. With new recording features like Peak Reduction and Quick Menu, the DR-05 puts album-quality recording in the palm of your hand.
Stereo condenser microphones
The 'DR-05' is equipped with omnidirectional stereo condenser microphones that can not only record sounds directly in front of the microphones but also record ambient sound from all directions. This is great for capturing the excitement from the audience such as at live events, producing realistic recordings. The recording format is compatible with 24bit/96kHz, which is higher than CD quality.
Proven high sound pressure design
Proven high sound pressure design that is perfect for loud recordings such as bands or passing trains. It can be used for recoding quiet sound sources such as lectures or for loud sound sources such as rock bands.
Peak reduction function
The peak reduction function automatically lowers the level when a peak sound is detected and continues recording. The level can be set automatically according to the sound source, so it is easy for anyone to set the optimal level.
The 'DR-05' has a total of three different input signal level adjustment functions including a peak reduction function.
Level align feature prevents uneven volume levels
When recording meetings or interviews, there are cases where it is difficult to listen to the playback because the volumes of different people vary. In such cases, the level align function automatically adjusts the sound volume for playback, making it easy to listen.
|Weight||116g (without battery)||213g (without battery)|
|Number of Channels||2-Channel (Stereo)||4-Channel (2 Stereo)|
|Power||2 AA batteries, USB bus power, AC100 to 240V (Optional AC adapter)||3 AA batteries, USB bus power, AC100 - 240V (Optional AC adapter)|
|Built-in microphone||Omnidirectional, stereo||Unidirectional, stereo (Possible to switch between A-B/X-Y positions)|
Compare with similar items
Tascam DR-05X Stereo Handheld Digital Recorder and USB Audio Interface, DR-05X (DR-05X)
Sony ICD-UX570 Digital Voice Recorder, ICDUX570BLK
EVISTR 16GB Digital Voice Recorder Voice Activated Recorder with Playback - Upgraded Small Tape Recorder for Lectures, Meetings, Interviews, Mini Audio Recorder USB Charge, MP3
Tascam TASCAM DR -05 SILVER Portable Digital Recorder, Silver
Sony ICD-PX470 Stereo Digital Voice Recorder with Built-in USB Voice Recorder, Black
|Sold By||Available from these sellers||Amazon.com||adelphia||EVISTR DIRECT||Adorama||Next Generation Tech|
|Item Dimensions||5.55 x 2.40 x 1.02 inches||7.00 x 5.00 x 2.00 inches||1.43 x 4.31 x 6.13 inches||3.94 x 1.06 x 0.39 inches||2.40 x 5.60 x 1.00 inches||2.00 x 2.00 x 1.00 inches|
TASCAM’s DR-05 brings high-quality stereo recording to an easy-to-use portable powerhouse with a size and price that anyone can handle. The DR-05 records in MP3 or WAV format – including 96kHz/24-bit high-resolution audio – to microSD or microSDHC media. A pair of all-new microphones handles up to 125dB SPL with the sensitivity to capture every detail. With new recording features like Peak Reduction and Quick Menu, the DR-05 puts album-quality recording in the palm of your hand. Premium-quality Sound Everything about the DR-05 is designed to get the best quality recordings of your music. A new pair of built-in microphones withstands up to 125dB SPL – the volume of a jet plane from 200 feet away – yet still have the sensitivity to capture every detail of a performance. You can add your own microphone or line-level source through the 1/8” stereo input, including plug-in power for microphones that need it. Simple to Operate The layout of the DR-05 has been revamped to be quick and easy to work with one thumb. Operations like recording, adjusting levels, deleting bad takes and adding markers are just a button press away. Dig deeper to find features like limiting, low cut filtering, a built-in chromatic tuner and more. Classic TASCAM features are included, like Variable Speed Audition to loop and slow down music without changing the pitch – perfect for transcribing or learning new music. A Level Align function can be switched on for playback, to smooth out any sudden volume jumps, and a built-in speaker is also provided. The two AA batteries are enough to power the recorder for 17 1/2 hours, even while recording at CD quality. For musicians and recordists at any stage of their career, there’s no easier way to get great-sounding recordings than TASCAM’s DR-05.
From the Manufacturer
TASCAM's DR-05 puts premium recording quality in the palm of your hand. Up to 96kHz/24-bit Broadcast WAV film recording provides better than CD quality to capture every detail. Record WAV or MP3 files to the included 2GB microSD Card, or expand with your own microSD & SDHC media.
Like all TASCAM products, the DR-05 is simple to use with functions like two-button record and the Quick Menu for fast setting changes.
Omni Condenser Microphones
Built into the DR-05 are a pair of omnidirectional condenser microphones. These stereo microphones are tailored for natural ambient recording, with rich bass response and lower handling noise than most handheld recorders.
The built-in microphones capture a wide, natural frequency range suitable for any type of voice, nature or musical recording. A 1/8" microphone input is also available for adding your own stereo microphone or recording a line-level source.
Like most TASCAM handheld recorders, the DR-05 includes playback modes to loop a section of playback or slow it down without changing the pitch, perfect for learning new music. A built-in speaker is included for checking recording without headphones. The Level Align feature smooths out level jumps during playback to help you monitor your raw, unmastered recordings.
Other handy additions include a chromatic tuner and tripod stand mount.
Peak Limiter Prevents Clipping
A built-in stereo peak limiter prevents unexpected loud sounds from distorting your recording. Just flip it on to keep sudden jumps from ruining your takes.
Another recording mode is the Auto Level setting, which sets the level based on the sound level in the room. Other settings include a low cut filter, useful for removing rumble or wind noise when outdoors. (A windscreen is also sold seperately.)
Full Feature List
- Handheld Portable Recorder
- Built-in Stereo Condenser Omnidirectional Microphones with sensitivity up to 125dB SPL
- Up to 96kHz/24-bit WAV (BWF) linear PCM recording
- Stereo MP3 recording from 32-320 kbps bit rate
- Peak Reduction function, optimized for music recording, automatically sets the gain of while recording
- Limiter and low-cut filter to help prevent distortion
- Automatic or manual level setting
- Self timer recording starts recording 5 or 10 sec. after pressing the record button for waiting until you are ready
- Auto and manual track increment
- Variable speed playback (50%-150%) without changing the pitch
- Loop and repeat playback
- Level Align feature prevents uneven volume levels during playback
- Playback EQ setting
- Editing function (Divide and delete)
- Up to 99 mark points on each file
- Chromatic tuner
- 1/8" stereo mic/line input
- USB 2.0 port for transfer to PC and external power
- Up to 2-second pre recording buffer
- Jump back function returns to previous point with one action (1-10, 20, 30 sec.)
- 1/8" headphone/line output
- Built-in speaker
- microSD (64MB – 2GB)/microSDHC (4GB – 32GB) card slot (2GB card included)
- Powered by 2 AA batteries, AC adapter (optional: PS-P515U), or USB bus power
- Tripod socket hole
- Dimensions: 2 3/8" W x 5 9/16" H x 1" D
- Weight: 4 1/16 oz